Drink in the evening

For a lot of people, a drink in the evening is part of a routine. Of the people I know, some of them have a drink or two in the evening to wind down, some do it because its part of their meal regimen (such as wine with dinner) and others seem to just do it out of habit.

Do you have a drink in the evening now and again, every night or not at all? If you do enjoy a drink in the evening can you answer as to why?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Drink in the evening

I usually have a glass or two of wine when I get home. I guess it has become a habit. Don't really have a reason, it just is nice.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

When a friend and I go out at lunchtime, we have a drink then. I'm not much for drinking in the evening as I don't have a good sleep and wake up groggy and feeling 'off'. I'd much prefer a drink in the afternoon. I don't know who started that 5:00 p.m. 'happy hour' rule and I personally think it stinks.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I don't drink at all, so guess I'm out of this one.

Drinking is a pretty rare occurance for me these days, I'm totally turned off by beer, I don't know why, I used to love beer when I was younger. Wine and champagne are good mostly on special occasions, I enjoy them, but rarely drink them. I prefer bourbon, but again, I rarely drink. I'll drink bourbon and coke, sometimes 7 and 7 (rye) with a lime only a couple times a year at most.

Its 5:33 AM and I'm at work desperately craving a drink in the evening. I may actually pick up some Baileys on the way home and have some tonight.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Its 5:33 AM and I'm at work desperately craving a drink in the evening. I may actually pick up some Baileys on the way home and have some tonight.
    I remember you introducing me to Baileys with icecream, Yum-my!!!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I'll likely be sipping Baileys on the rocks tonight.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I'll likely be sipping Baileys on the rocks tonight.
    Why, what's wrong with staying in your apartment and drinking?

Just kidding, Duke, you know I am! I am picturing those rocks that make up the seawall; how much I would LOVE to walk along it with the three of you again....(Sigh!)

Definitely like a glass or two in the evening. It is not a habit, a bit random. I can go weeks without a drink without giving it a thought.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

desperately craving a drink
    Are you concerned by these words at all Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by LovingSpirit View Post
    desperately craving a drink
    Are you concerned by these words at all Duke?
    No because I beat my struggle with alcohol in my late 20's, early 30's. I rarely drink anymore and the only exception in the past 5 years was I had more than usual this Holiday Season.

For me, drinking means I'm not working so that's really the best way to interpret that phrase you quoted.
    My Daughter Rules!

Staying focused is the best medicine. I've read that one or two glasses of wine with dinner or after is an excellent way of staying healthy, red wine is loaded with resveratrol, one of the best antioxidants available, but 2 glasses is the limit. Duke has the right idea with Bailey's, that is one tasty drink.
    Last edited by MightyProud; 01-14-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: mis-spelled wording

I know you don't think so, Duke, but I like Carolans just as much as Baileys for the taste and because it's cheaper. Carolans is a good seller here.

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    I know you don't think so, Duke, but I like Carolans just as much as Baileys for the taste and because it's cheaper. Carolans is a good seller here.
    I tried it and didn't like it simply because its much more watery than Baileys is.
    My Daughter Rules!

There is also Emmet's and it is also much cheaper like Carolans, but Duke is right, there is a noticeable difference. Out of the three, Bailey's is best and you're right about price, by me Baileys is probably 6.00 or 7.00 more for a decent sized bottle, but if you do a side by side taste test, you might want to give up the 7.00

There is also Emmet's and it is also much cheaper like Carolans
    I haven't seen that here, but I will look. I put it in coffee, so to me it's about the cheaper price and the quick buzz anyway

Well I stuck to my guns and picked up some Baileys on the way home. Oddly enough though I haven't cracked it yet because it needs to chill in the freezer for about an hour before I start to drink it.

This is how I know I'm no longer controlled by alcohol as I rarely drink anymore and when I do, its on my terms.
    My Daughter Rules!

Have a Good one, Duke, and while you are drinking it, please think of how much Happiness you brought to your family in real life and Lifesupporters. You have given us a tremendously Beautiful Gift here and I Honour you!

I rarely drink. Slightly more now than I did a year ago, but still nothing compared to my first year in college, but hey we all do stupid things as a Freshman.

If I drink at all now it's in a social setting or over a nice dinner once in a while. Recently the wife and I discovered a wine that we really enjoy and there is usually a bottle or two in the house but it will sit for weeks without being opened. Once in a while I have a really ugly or stressful day I'll drink a glass or two just to unwind.

Thread Information