How to Live Happily on 75% Less

How to Live Happily on 75 Percent Less - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

The Great Recession—which is technically over, economists insist—may be morphing into a broader epoch: the Great Humbling.

For many disenfranchised workers, the "new normal" is demoralizing. But some have found fresh career paths, clarified their priorities, and discovered that they're more resourceful than they once thought.
    How are you surviving? What has changed for you?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: How to Live Happily on 75% Less

I'm putting more money in the bank than I ever have in all my years prior. Its a very big struggle to put this money away monthly but its a necessity with all the financial obligations I have on the horizon.

I've cut out going for lunches and dinners and now actually make my own lunches and dinners at home. I've also cut back even more on how much I drive which I believe has translated to another $50 or so per month is savings.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I've learned the real value of a dollar.

Growing up poor and living without a lot of material things has been an advantage for me. I just don't need a lot of things, I kind of live from the heart.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I really wanted to post more earlier but had other things going.

I was raised in a poor family and mom taught all of us how to stretch a buck until it squealed. All my life I've lived this way until I was in my thirties or so. That was when I discovered credit cards. What a mess that turned out to be in the end. A mess I'm still not clear of. I'd lived pinching pennies for so long that I just wanted to relax my spending a little and buy some of the things that I'd never been able to before. One purchase led to another and another until I was in over my head. I didn't spend carelessly, but there always seemed to be something I needed.....tires for the car, car repairs, home repairs, new clothes, a television. I didn't always buy new either, I am thifty and still spent my way into a mess. Yet, if it hadn't been for the cards, I wouldn't have been able to have the car fixed or the house repaired and I already know what that's like. So on one hand credit cards can be a blessing, but on the other hand, they can really ruin you.

I will always live a thrifty lifestyle. I love yard sales and second hand stores. I love a bargain! I LOVE a bargain!!

The use of credit cards scare me, and my husband now only uses his for vehicle repairs, IF he can't do it any other way! I used mine very little; very, very little knowing that there would be a Bill at the end of the month with interest! "Interest" can be taken many ways, and when it comes to paying a credit card company, it's more like a 'noose'.

I wonder if most people pay the minimum payment, or what's totally owing that month? That would make for a HUGE difference.

I pay our credit card off every month. Not going to give the banks 23% interest. The credit card provides airline miles so gets used all the time but I don't write checks so at the end of the month I have enough to pay it off. I do try to keep track of how much we spend so I will have enough at the end of the month. I do have one credit card of my own but it only gets used rarely so that I can build up my own credit.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Most importantly, we create a budget every quarter, then we take all of our paychecks/earnings out of the bank each week and put them in a folder, forcing us to live off cash and follow the budget. Other than that, we make our own meals, rather than eating out, we take the transit much more often, we have got rid of and sold many extra things that we did not need, which earned us some more savings (the things you own really do own you). And our ultimate step towards living on 75% less has been to build a small house with our savings, paid for all in cash and built by myself, so that we will not be obligated to anyone for rent or a mortgage. Being small also means that we can not fill it with things that we do not need, only the essentials. I can not think of a better way to live for me personally.

Thread Information