Surreal reoccurring dream. Opinions please!

Hi everyone

I have been having this type of dream for a really long time. I can't remember when it started. And I don't have it often either, every few months or so. But I had it again the other day and I think it's time I got some suggestions.
    So the 'facts' about this dream are the things that happen every time. The characteristics.
    It usually happens when I am not able to get to sleep right away. It feels like I SLIP into the dream without realising it, like I'm in an interim space between being awake and fully sleeping. Hence, it feels like I'm not even asleep - but I am.
    Everything that I 'see' in the dream is exactly as it is right there and then - same room, place, time, colours, if I'm sleeping next to someone, they're there etc. Ok so everything is SO real that it's hyper real!! Which is also why it feels like I'm not asleep.
    Further still, I have become able to tell myself that this is a dream and I say to myself 'wake up now.'

Then for the nightmarish part. I cannot wake up. I panic. I struggle, I feel like my body is physically struggling against itself, I feel like I am writhing in my bed (I am actually not at all!). Sometimes I try to call out, but my mouth does not open, sound does not come out. I feel like I'm thrashing about and desperately trying to be awake. There are moments when I think I've woken up but I really haven't. I think, oh I've done it, but this strange feeling overwhelms me again and I try in vain to wake up.

Obviously I do eventually shake it. I wake with a fright. I feel scared afterwards.

Anyone ever had this? Anyone know what it could be or why?
    I'd appreciate the discussion if nothing else.
    Thanx everyone.

Re: Surreal reoccurring dream. Opinions please!

I think your dream is conveying a sense of fear about something in your life - knowingly or unknowingly - that you can't do much about. In your dream you try desperately to get out of the situation, knowing it is just a dream, but you can't.

The same might apply to something in reality. You can get out of a bad situation there, but it might be impossible for practical reasons.

Without knowing a thing about your realities, it is hard to say exactly what the dream would be pointing to.

Hope this helps.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Yip it is helpful, thank you Vautrin.
    It makes sense to draw that parallel. There are often situations that I feel I have no control over, and being the control freak that I am, it also makes sense that I would panic in not being prepared for the situation.

Interesting you say that Courtney.

Perhaps the dream is conveying to you that you are a control freak, and that there are things, many things in life, that you cannot change (because you are only human). The element of fear would be then explained by the fear you experience in real life when things do not go the way you'd like as a control freak. This is then despite you knowing that there is another way (the way you'd like things to be), but that this is not always achieved.

Hope this helps.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Although my dream is a bit different than yours, I too have one where I literally have no control whatsoever and feel as if I'm being pinned down by some unseen, and evil, force.

http://www.lifesupporters.com/forums...eam-10209.html

The worst part of it is that in this dream, I'm allowed to make choices but always make the wrong ones. It's as if I have no control even when there is an illusion of control.

I wonder if our dreams are similar in overall nature as they both seem to be about lack of control and some deep seated fears that may remain unidentifiable for some time to come?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Thread Information