Thread: Money Jars

Money Jars

Does anyone have one?

For christmas my girlfriend bought me this flaming pink (apparently it was for her too ) change jar with a coin counter on the top. We didn't really use it much for the first little bit, I just threw in a cup of pennies, nickles and dimes that was sitting on my book case at first. Turns out there was $23 in that little cup.

After my birthday (Feb 20) we really started putting all of our change in it and as of today there is $199 even in it! In less than a month and a half we've saved pretty much $200 by doing nothing except not spending change.

Instead of going on an all inclusive vacation this year (too many out of town weddings and a vegas bachelor party, plus moving), we're just going to head down to Miami where Katie's parents have a condo near the beach. That change jar is going to pay for the entire trip! We're looking forward to it, especially since flights to Miami from Toronto are DIRT cheap. I've never been to Miami either so it'll be nice for me to get down there.

Re: Money Jars

We don't have one that counts the change as it goes in but we do keep a jar for change and then every now and then we roll the coins. Never really paid much attention to how much, it was just a convenient way to organize all the change laying on dressers and stuff.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I have one but very inconsistent with throwing the change in! It really is a good idea as long as a person puts money in and doesn't take it out until a trip or something big like that. Good for you and Katie, Weiser, keep it up!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I have a change dish. It holds about $35 in change. When its full I cash it in and spend it on whatever we need at the time.

I don't really have a money jar but I do have a few change receptacles around the place. I also have multiple "super secret safe hiding spots", so secret in fact that even I can't find them. Now and again I may dig in the pockets of an old jacket or perhaps a gym bag and come up with a few bucks.

My biggest score to date is the $90 I found in my gym bag followed by the $30 in change in my cars ash tray.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Another old post I know. But I want to share what having a money jar means to my family.

I live with 6 others, and in our kitchen we hvae always kept a wide mouthed jar. Every week each of us give voluntarilly some money for food. Then my besty and me will go shopping down the supermarket to bring back the goodies for the weekend and the days after.

This jar is always in the same place. It been used now for years -long before I came along. Every week its full, and when we come home with the grub, any money left over goes back in the jar.

Mummy says not to give her anything for my keep from my part time earnings. But I always give half of it to the jar. I am never without. Nobody is. That jar also is a sign of great trust, and every week that trust is added to.

You've all made the money jar work for you; awesome, Floxx! I've got to get back to using mine more frequently.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Hahaa! I might have known Floxx had shared about our money jar!

And how wonderful it is to see money has been put into it before shopping. The jar is just wonderful anyway to get rid of those pesky little coins, though the girls will be somewhat peeved on seeing a mass of 20p pieces! But, they are such a blessing to take the money and shop for us. I can't stand supermarkets! But they'll clip two trolleys together and with all that money saved up, save me so much time and stress.

I used to have a piggybank. One of those big fat china versions which getting coins out of was an utter pain. Heavy, too. So, piggy got broke and later that wide mouthed jar, similar to a glass hurricane lamp, stood proud in the kitchen.

Thread Information