Thread: iPad

iPad

Who has bought one already? If you haven't, are you going to?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whoís getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: iPad

I'd like to but can't really justify it. I am such a geek.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

If I had the extra cash I'd own one. I'm in awe of all things that allow you to access the internet while on the go.

I will not get one. Other than my laptop, I try to avoid as much electronics as possible. Bit weird for a geek, but I know that otherwise I will not have any time left to spend on more productive pursuits.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

maybe if it was half the price, too expensive for what it does.

iPad prices in the UK are high. I could buy a really nice netbook or a decent laptop for the same price. In the UK here it wouldn't be so bad if the wireless companies weren't over inflating their monthly prices.

Pre-pan costs rocket from pay-as-you-go of some £10 a month to higher of £25 per month for an iPad, and these are in addition to the household monthly payments of regular Broadband. But going abroad, you'd have to pay additionally for 3G service. Even on a contract, the iPadís 3G service gets higher. There are known over here as Pre-Plans. And they vary according to how much, maximum per month, you are wishing to download. The danger lies if you exceed your monthly download allowance. This is in the "smallprint". If you accidentally download more, you could end up paying £200 excess. And them carriers see "3G Data Plans" are what an iPad user has to get.

iPad - iPad WiFi - iPad WiFi + 3G - Apple Store (UK)

Costs add up. Believe me.

The wireless 3G iPad enables people to subscribe to online magazines, such as Lonely Planet, National Geographic, Intelligent Life, GQ, Vogue and hundreds of others. Buyer beware! The monthly subscription costs could see the unwary paying far more than they intended. But for imagery, photos and sharing pics, the iPad canít be beaten on quality alone. It is a beautiful device. But does one really need such an exotic device? And how much is the iPad going to be used?

I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab for Christmas. It is an Android version of the iPad but a bit smaller. I really like it. It can get expensive if there is no WiFi around since then I have to use my Verizon account. I have a limited amount of data I can down load but I have passed my first month and only used half of my allotment so feel pretty good as long as I don't go wild and download tons of things with it.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

My youngest brother has one. It is nifty, it is nice, but I can't justify spending that kind of money on a gadget. Which is all it is, unless you have an advanced network setup - but for home use, that is simply unaffordable.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Sometimes you just need to splurge and treat yourself. I don't need it either but I enjoy it so to me it is worth the cost.

No ipad for me...but I'll splurge for an iphone soon.
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by waydownhere View Post
    Its worth considering the latest 3G Samsung what uses the Android OS. You can IM friends, read emails.. basically doing the same as an iPhone. Just a lot cheaper.

You will enjoy it I am sure.

I have an iPad. For me, it is a less expensive laptop. I absolutely love it and can do just about everything on it that I can do with a laptop. My 3 year old son loves to play with it. I have all kinds of educational stuff for him. Letter tracing apps, book apps, games, etc. He knows which folder they are in, so when I sit down with him, he taps the folder, then picks the app he wants and knows how to navigate through it all. Amazing! We're actually going to get him a cheap droid tablet for his 3rd birthday in April.

Comparing the driod OS to iOS, there is a big difference (my wife has a droid X phone). We spent close to 30 minutes looking for a setting on the phone. there is no way that we would have spent that much time looking for the same thing on iOS. It all boils down to elegance. iOS is much more intuitive and just plain beautiful to look at. It's a work of art in itself. But this is reminiscent of the same apple vs. Microsoft debate from years ago, except now it's iOS vs Android. functionally very similar, almost identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Floxy View Post
    Its worth considering the latest 3G Samsung what uses the Android OS. You can IM friends, read emails.. basically doing the same as an iPhone. Just a lot cheaper.
    And this is where my "kid" comes into play...long story, but the short version is that I need to get her on to my Verizon plan and she will settle for nothing less than an iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    You will enjoy it I am sure.
    I hope so. I'm looking forward to getting weather and fish counts on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by memento View Post
    Comparing the driod OS to iOS, there is a big difference (my wife has a droid X phone). We spent close to 30 minutes looking for a setting on the phone. there is no way that we would have spent that much time looking for the same thing on iOS. It all boils down to elegance. iOS is much more intuitive and just plain beautiful to look at. It's a work of art in itself. But this is reminiscent of the same apple vs. Microsoft debate from years ago, except now it's iOS vs Android. functionally very similar, almost identical.
    That is what I have found. I've used my daughters iphone and without even knowing anything about it I can use and navigate in it easily. I can make FB posts to her account in seconds.... TKD knows the games my daughter and I play on each other on FB.

That is what I have found. I've used my daughters iphone and without even knowing anything about it I can use and navigate in it easily. I can make FB posts to her account in seconds.... TKD knows the games my daughter and I play on each other on FB.
    As long as you are not impersonating each other ... it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    As long as you are not impersonating each other ... it should be fine.
    I hadn't thought about that....

We just post dumb things and laugh at the responses from our "friends". She always starts it becuase I don't log out of my account and then she gets on my laptop. Getting her iphone is the hard part for me. I have to be really sneaky. Plus it helps to know her unclock code.

It can become even more fun, if you put up something that she really should not do, and then give her a grilling - even though you put the dubious message in in the first place. (Though, if you are going to do something like that, have the i-phone ready to make up for it).

Me evil? H3ll, yes!

I will not be getting an iPad or iPhone. I love them both but there is just no justification for the cost. Instead I picked up a Dell Inspirion netbook last year for $300 and it does everything the iPad can do (minus the touch screen), and a bunch of things that it cannot. Plus I hacked it to run MacOS, so I really do not need anything else.

Thread Information