Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much do you spend on groceries?

Grocery prices have gone up so much in the past couple of years that it's a shame. I'd like to hear how much you spend on groceries each week and how many people you have in the family, including pets.

1 Let's also talk about some of the items that you buy on a regular basis. Things you always have on hand, and let's talk about what kinds of specialty items you like to purchase.

2 Let's discuss prices. What is good and what is outrageous.

3 Do you grocery shop daily, picking up what you need from day to day or do you shop weekly or monthly?

4 Do you clip coupons?

I enjoy grocery shopping when I can buy what I want. Not so much so when I have to carefully watch every cent.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you all shop.

Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

Depends on how much I need or if I am buying for a special occasion. I don't clip coupons. Most the stuff that has coupons isn't the brands I buy. I am afraid I don't pay much attention when I buy. I get what I need and the brands I want and buy some extras.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I do spend just udner $150.00 most of the time.Once in a while,have to buy a twelve pack of beer.Coors Light for me and Miller Lite for my husband.General with my husband and I is that if it get down to 2,buy some more.I do watch whta I buy and do not buy the cheap brands.

What surprises me most is that my gf actually has no idea how much we spend on groceries. Thankfully we do most our purchases now cash (as opposed to card), so at least she can see how much she is actually spending.

Then again, I have been called an "honorary Jew" by my father in law for my prudent spending habits.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by LovingSpirit View Post

Grocery prices have gone up so much in the past couple of years that it's a shame. I'd like to hear how much you spend on groceries each week and how many people you have in the family, including pets.
    There is just my husband and I now; no pets since our Beloved cat disappeared.

1 Let's also talk about some of the items that you buy on a regular basis. Things you always have on hand, and let's talk about what kinds of specialty items you like to purchase.
    Thank God my husband is the methodical grocery shopper here and is very incredibly consistent in how he shops. He's really amazing! We live in a somewhat small town where the three grocery stores are close by, so no extra gas is wasted to get deals. He always buys the whole wheat bread in the one store. He picks up the flyers from the other two stores when we are at the Mall for his big shopping day. He checks the cupboard and tops up so he's never without anything he needs to cook his meals. In all the years since he took over the shopping and cooking, he's never run out of things yet. If he decides that he wants to cook something special on occasions he will run down to the store for that. Most of the time this house sticks to what's on special in the flyer. He cooks big pots of things like Stew, Chinese food, Chinese hash, a big roast (if on sale) or a big ham (if on sale.) He clips coupons only if it's something he really could use that is a good deal. He also marks off everything off his list in the store as he puts it in the grocery cart. He also has a consistent way of putting the groceries on the checkout counter and the cashiers just LOVE him! I can't think of anything like specialty items because we are just simple folk.

2 Let's discuss prices. What is good and what is outrageous.
    I love avacados but they have gotten SO expensive that I haven't had any in ages. The tomatoes are going the same way which I'm now using jam on toast instead of tomato as much. I LOVE the English cucumbers but they are high, too. Grapes are high so haven't had any in a long time. We do buy bananas, apples, celery, radishes, etc. as they don't seem to be too high. Have to have fruit and vegetables. We shop mostly at Save-On-Foods here and there is always something we buy that has some money taken off if you have their shopping card. Those are handy. Same with our local Safeway, more deals at the Save-On, though.

3 Do you grocery shop daily, picking up what you need from day to day or do you shop weekly or monthly?
    Once in two weeks for the big shopping, and running down for things like milk when we're out.

4 Do you clip coupons?
    My husband does clip coupons, but won't buy something he doesn't really use just because there is a coupon for it. He clips coupons only if it's something he really could use that is a good deal.

I enjoy grocery shopping when I can buy what I want. Not so much so when I have to carefully watch every cent.
    When we were both working, I would buy something that I might like, if it was on Sale but not on his list. Now that we have to be more careful, I just socialize and keep my hands in my pockets so as not to take anything off the shelf. The only time they come out of my pockets is if I run into a friend to give and collect a hug.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I'll play.

First I dislike shopping in general. It was much better when I had someone else to do it.

So....now that I have to do my own shopping here is what I do.

I use a list and adhere strictly to the list. (The office girls find it impossible to stick to a list :roll: I know what I want, I go in, get it, and then leave. I usually go as early as possible. Cost was never a factor but it is now. I like to have a salad with dinner so for decent salad stuff I'll spend a little more if I have too.

I don't eat a ton of prepackaged foods. My meals consist of meat or fish that I prep and cook, salad, and maybe a side of some sort (usually rice or another veggie) although not always. Simple is good. I'll stock some chicken, beef, and pork in the freezer. I'll buy the family packs when on sale and break it up or look of the reduced price meats. I have lots of "free" fish. Well that's what I tell myself but in reality is probably the most expensive fish on the planet.

I usually shop at Safeway or a place called Grocery Outlet. GO is cheap and I can usually get out of there spending less than $50 for a week or more worth of groc's. some of the stuff is off brand so just choose wisely. I even go to Costco once every 6 to 8 weeks. They have some items I use in enough quantities to justify the trip, the membership and the price can't be beat. These are usually "stock up" trips. I go there and spend less than $100. When ex went it was at least $250 -300!

I use coupons if they are for the things I use. I don't stock a bunch of extra food in the house and compared to what it used to be, I have no food in the house at all according to my daughter. The x really liked having the cupboards stuffed. I go to the store on average once a week and sometimes I can stretch that out.

I'm finding the more time goes buy, the less I buy as I don't really like cooking for just one. But then I can't bring myself to buy the "heat and eat" stuff.
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

After spending the past year living on $150 a month for groceries for two adults and four pets, I was finally approved for the Quest EBT card and am able to add another $200 to that amount. Thank God for the Dept of Human Services when things get tight.

Oh, groceries... First of all, I'll say that I try to be as cheap as possible most of the time. I try to do my shopping at the cheapest stores and buy the cheapest brands if I'm the one buying. I don't make much money but I do make sure my family has full tummies.

My boyfriend and I used to make a list and do our "big shop" once a week which he would pay for, and I'd buy a few things throughout the week that we don't stock up on (such as ground hamburger meat) since we aren't sure when we'll use it. However, he's been using his off days to work on his beloved car for the past few weeks and I've been stuck buying everything. This means we've been eating a lot of Hamburger Helper

I look through the coupons, but since I normally buy store brands, they end up being cheaper than name brands even with coupons.

I went to Grocery Outlet last night. Came home with 7 of those plastic bags of groceries...$48! I love that place. Even got ice cream for the first time in 2 months!

I looked at the hamburger helper...a long time...but just couldn't do it. Nothing wrong with it and at $1.39/box it was tempting. Although some mac and cheese is a pretty good side once in a while.

We grow lots of fruit and veg, so saving us quite a bit on our shopping bill. But we're a hungry bunch and do entertain, so it would be hard to put a price on our grub. ballpark figure i suppose, about £250.00 per week. But, that figure depends entirely on how much money has been put into a jar in our kitchen by family members. We shop on whats in it. But we never go without.

Because of the recent hike in Value Added Tax on petrol prices (and everything else in the UK), food costs are bound to rise. Everything "food" has to be transported, so costs add up. European grocery costs are rising all the time, so I can see our weekly food bill with be forever on the fritz.

I've cut back on my own extras the last year for sure. Very seldom do I just buy something just because I feel like having it. I have three methods now:

(1) I keep my hands in my pockets even when I see something I want to have for a snack.

(2) Or...I stand in front of the shelf where the craving sits, and look at it and silently tell myself I don't really need it. What it really boils down to is instant gratification and I'm stronger with it now. Not to say I don't buy something as a treat, but I have to earn it first.

(3) I don't go into the store that has my particular favourite treat, my husband buys the essentials.

It does really help on the grocery bill.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

You have a wonderful husband, Luba.

Since becoming a strict vegetarian about four months ago, I actually only spend about $12 a week for food now. That's awesome.

Hopefully the new wardrobe costs will slow down eventually. (A welcomed side-affect)

That is good Ivy. Congrats. Maybe I should turn vegetarian. My weight loss has stalled.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

i spend about $120 a week to cook once and eat microwave meals the rest, and i spend about $200 eating out

I just spent $37 and change. $24 was beer. I'm good for a week....maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by waydownhere View Post
    I just spent $37 and change. $24 was beer. I'm good for a week....maybe.
    I like your way of shopping!! Beer has most the food groups.

I'm no longer sure what I'm spending because I'm eating out less and preparing food at home more. That said, whatever I'm spending still feels like it's too damn much.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Yes it is too damn much. I buy for two and granted I don't really pay attention and buy what looks good to me at the time. I rarely have a list unless I am buying for an occasion. But I still spend on average $120 a week. I don't cook much so a lot of that is prepared foods and frozen dinner. They do add up. Sucks that the necessities are so expensive.

On more serious note I spend between $200 - $300 a month. It's just me and I buy very little prepared food or frozen foods. I look for sales on meat and buy a bunch and then separate it out into individual meals and freeze it. Last week I got a package of 11 nice pork chops for $9. I usually just have a meat of some sort and a salad or a vegetable. Maybe once a week I'll throw in some carbs and have some rice or a small smoked jacket spud.

I probably spend $50 to $100 a month eating out but most of that is beer/cocktails and if it were not for my buddy, I would not go out hardly at all. I'll have to stop going out so I can buy more fuel soon tho as the weather gets better.

I think one thing that might "help" me out in the grocery expense department is that I usually have a couple hundred pounds of fish in my freezer every year. Yeah, I eat a lot of fish. The cost to fill that freezer is in a different budget line item so I don't count it as "groceries" but as entertainment...or....whatever. The fish is free.

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    That is good Ivy. Congrats. Maybe I should turn vegetarian. My weight loss has stalled.
    I eat a lot of cabbage. It doesn't make for a good aroma around the house. I don't mean just cooking it either.

I learned that I'm allergic to wheat, rye, barley and a lot of other things. I was stalled too and tried everything they said to try. Since going vegan and gluten free, I'm not even trying to lose weight anymore. This snake just keeps shedding its skin. I'm always full now and have a lot of energy after I eat, instead of just wanting to hit the sack.

Be careful if you try it. I can't even smell cooked meat anymore without wanting to hurl. If I do happen to get a piece of meat eaten somehow, it hurts my stomach tremendously.

Start with baby steps... Weaning yourself off of meat is like breaking a really bad addiction, at least it was for me! Hehehehe...

Do you eat eggs and cheese? I don't know if I could go vegetarian really. I love a good steak too much. But I will seriously consider it. I am tired of the diet roller coaster. How did you find out you were allergic to the gluten products? Thanks for the information.

No eggs and no cheese. How I found out was, I kept getting rashes, would have prolonged spells of staring into space, bloating, gas and generally was tired all the time. Originally, the doctor told me it was the Diabetes, but I made him do some blood work and it turns out, I have Celiac Disease. Coincidentally, Diabetes is a symptom of this and so is Diverticulosis. (You might want to see your doctor about this as well TKDLady.)

It's really just an intolerance for certain foods or an abundant of a certain ingredient in the food. Tiny bits of the stuff probably wouldn't kill me. I'm just sick of being sick, which helps me to stick to my strict regimen. You can write down how a certain food makes you feel after you eat it to determine if you should be eating it or not. If something makes you feel sluggish after consumption, chances are you probably should discontinue it.

Thanks for the info Ivy. It is proven I have Diverticulosis but I could ask the doctor the next time I have an attack to check into this other disease as well. I hope not because I like bread.

Gluten Free products are really expensive, at least the places that sell it are that I've found. Bread was a tough habit to break too. I guess the extra money to buy Gluten Free substitutes would be worth it.

Good luck hun, I hope you don't have it either. My son has it as well and the doctors think that this disease I have actually caused his birth defect, so I have a lot of guilt within me to deal with. Everyone has something that they pass down to their kids to deal with, so no guilt should be applied.

It was really hard to start eating this way at first, but now I look forward to every meal. It's a challenge to make different casseroles tasty with the few things I can cook with now. Take care of yourself!

Thread Information