Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Running slow....

It didn't work. I shut the computer down and then restarted. I didn't get a blue page like Duke said and I still can't run defrag.

You won't be able to run defrag until chkdsk runs. You also need to ensure you have 15% free disk space to run defragmenter as it needs room to move files temporarily during the defrag process.

Try this:

• Open up Windows Explorer and find your C:\ drive
    • Right Click on C:\ and Select "Properties"
    • Under the "Tools Tab" you should see some options such as "Error Checking", "Backup" and "Defrag"
    • Select "Error Checking"
    • Reboot if it tells you to.

If it promps you to reboot then reboot, do not select "Shut Down" and then Power Up as it's not the same process.

Good luck.

BTW, what Operating System are you using?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Ok thanks Duke. I'll give it a try.
    I'm not sure what you mean by operating system.

By Operating System I'm referring to what version of Windows you're using, XP, Vista or Windows 7.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

WindowsXP

Ok.....I followed your instructions and I got a pop up that said the following:

The disk chk could not be performed because the disk chk util. needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time your start the computer.

I clicked on the yes button. I then shut down and restarted the computer but when I tried to defrag, I got the same pop up msg as I did before.

Are you shutting down the computer and then restarting or just restarting from desktop?

Start/Turn Off Computer/Restart.

You will not be allowed to defrag until such time as chkdsk runs.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Are you shutting down the computer and then restarting or just restarting from desktop?

Start/Turn Off Computer/Restart.

You will not be allowed to defrag until such time as chkdsk runs.
    Yes, I was doing a restart. I will go ahead and try completely shutting down and see if that makes a difference. Thanks Duke.

If you were restarting you were doing it right but if a shutdown/restart works then so be it.

It's just odd that it's skipping the chkdsk procedure as I've never seen that happen unless you push a key while it's loading chkdsk.
    My Daughter Rules!

*sigh* I saw the blue screen this time, but didn't get a chance to read it cause it was there and gone so quickly.

I got a pop up from Norton a bit ago that led me thru the chkdsk process step by step. It was done thru the Start and then Run area. It said to put cmd in the dialogue box then to put chkdskC: /r next. I followed the instructions as written and still it didn't work.

I just don't get it. Thanks to everyone for all your help. I really appreciate your time. Whaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

You clearly have a real problem and I'm not sure what it can be? I've simply never heard of the chkdsk utility failing until now.

Just out of curiosity, have you completely scanned your computer for spyware and virus'?
    My Daughter Rules!

You clearly have a real problem and I'm not sure what it can be? I've simply never heard of the chkdsk utility failing until now.

Just out of curiosity, have you completely scanned your computer for spyware and virus'?
    Yes I have. Three times in the past week.

Do you have more than one spyware tool? By that I mean do you use more than just spybot to check for viruses and all? If not, you might want to use one or two others. Sometimes one doesn't detect the same things as the other one. I suggest searching for Windows Defender and installing it and using it as well. It can't hurt anyway and it might find something that spybot didn't find. Sounds like something is messing with your registry settings. That usually means a virus or spyware. Just a suggestion!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

OK I've done some searching on this and have found a few that have had similar issues to yours LS. This issue can apparently be one of many such as an issue with your Service Pack Version of Windows XP, Windows XP itself, a Hard Disk failure and/or impending Hard Disk Failure.

I think the best thing you can do is to try and run chkdsk via Windows Recovery Mode. To do this you will need your Windows XP CD in your disk drive.

Here is how to run chkdsk in Recovery Mode: Windows XP- Chkdsk fails to run and then does not run on startup.? - Yahoo! Answers
    My Daughter Rules!

OK I've done some searching on this and have found a few that have had similar issues to yours LS. This issue can apparently be one of many such as an issue with your Service Pack Version of Windows XP, Windows XP itself, a Hard Disk failure and/or impending Hard Disk Failure.

I think the best thing you can do is to try and run chkdsk via Windows Recovery Mode. To do this you will need your Windows XP CD in your disk drive.

Here is how to run chkdsk in Recovery Mode: Windows XP- Chkdsk fails to run and then does not run on startup.? - Yahoo! Answers
    I don't have a Windows XP CD. I believe this program was loaded on the computer when I bought it.

One other thing. I have gotten a pop up from Norton that tells me to put in the Norton disc and follow the instructions for what they call a Norton Bootable Recovery Tool. I wonder if that's similar to what you were refering to when you said to put the Windows CD in. I'm going to have BF look it over when he gets home today to be sure I'm properly understanding what I'm reading.

Now......where did I store that Norton CD?

Norton is asking you to run recovery because you have issues on your Hard Drive. I'm guessing that all these programs that are giving you issues, Norton, IE, Windows are all on your main drive, the one that's giving you trouble.

I need to understand the Windows XP thing better, did you buy the computer new with Windows XP pre-loaded or did you buy the computer used with Windows XP on it? Do you get regular updates from Windows XP; you'll know because it's a little icon that sits next to your clock now and again that states Updates are ready for your computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Daughter Rules!

Norton is asking you to run recovery because you have issues on your Hard Drive. I'm guessing that all these programs that are giving you issues, Norton, IE, Windows are all on your main drive, the one that's giving you trouble.

I need to understand the Windows XP thing better, did you buy the computer new with Windows XP pre-loaded or did you buy the computer used with Windows XP on it? Do you get regular updates from Windows XP; you'll know because it's a little icon that sits next to your clock now and again that states Updates are ready for your computer.
    I bought the computer new. It's about five years old. It seems to me that Windows XP was pre-loaded on it. I think everything was. I can't recall getting any Windows updates recently, however......I am one who has the tendency to not update when prompted because it seems I'm prompted to update stuff all the dang time. Perhaps I have underestimated the importance of updates.

Now....the updates thing is interesting because I don't have that little shield icon at the bottom by the clock. I recall that I used to, however, I may have deleted it because I might have mistaken it for another "pain in the neck" I think it's called mywebsearch, not really sure, but it uses shield type icons too and is a pain in the neck. Anyhow, I think that I may try to reset my computer by going in to do a System Restore. If I deleted it in the past several months then it should come back if I do that right? Ugh. I hate having computer difficulties. Am most grateful to have a laptop too now.

Edited to add: I'm in the process of doing a restore on my desktop. I restored it to one day after I removed a program called Window Live Sinc. That's a program I was using in order to be able to copy and paste a document from Word straight into my Wordpress blog without experiencing formatting difficulties. I did't like the program so I uninstalled it. That was on May 5th so my restore is for May 6th. I don't know if this will help, but hopefully it won't hurt.

Edited again to add: I did a system restore and things are running much faster now and I'm able to access IE quickly now. But still am getting the error msg when I try to defrag. I am currently reinstalling Norton. Will see how that works. I don't see "windows live updater" in my add/remove programs. Is it gone? Is it naturally part of the Norton program? There is so much to learn. YOu know what? I bet I accidentally uninstalled windows live updater when I uninstalled windows live sinc. Wouldn't a restore have fixed that tho?
    Last edited by LovingSpirit; 07-16-2010 at 07:44 AM.

The general rule of thumb is to NOT delete programs that have the name Windows associated with them as they are vital to keeping your Operating System up to date and functioning correctly. The only time you can ever uninstall anything that says Windows on it is if you installed it on your own or you absolutely beyond a reason of a doubt know that it will bring no harm to your computer.

Personally I would say as a general rule of thumb, if it says Windows and it's always been there, then don't delete it no matter how mundane you may think it is. The only exception to this rule would be if Spyware is associated with Windows (which always happens on a fresh install of Windows XP), then you can allow the program to remove the spyware (a known issue with Windows Live Player).

Are you absolutely certain that when you bought the computer it didn't come with any disks? It should have come with at least a Recover Disk or something that will allow you to get the computer back to the condition in which it was purchased.

If you are certain you do not have a recovery disk or Widows XP Disk anywhere then you may try to create a Bootable Windows XP Disk. Here is a link that tells you how to do it:

How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup CD/DVD from a Pre-loaded/Preinstalled Windows System (howtohaven.com)

As far as I can tell, your options are starting to sound extremely limited. You NEED to get XP back to the state it was when it was working properly and I don't think reverting will do that. Reverting will take you back to a better time but it will not re-install missing software, at least that I'm aware of. If you did indeed delete something that Windows required then your only recourse is to run the repair service from a Windows XP Install Disk or a recovery disk you created by following the link provided.
    My Daughter Rules!

What I ended up doing yesterday was unintalling and then reinstalling Norton again. I had previously run Spypot and disc clean. When Norton was reinstalled I prompted it to do a full system scan and to correct those issues. This took several hours. Doing that allowed me to be able to run defrag, which I did. At the moment this seems to have corrected the difficulties I was having. I can access IE and the internet quickly and smoothly. Everything seems to be running GREAT!

Duke thanks for all your help. I do understand what you're saying about Windows programs and I only intended to originally uninstall the windows program to help with blogs which I downloaded myself, but may have deleted something else along with it accidentally. I think I may have, but cannot be positive.

M'Lady, thanks for your helpfulness as well. It's always good to have more than one giving input and suggestions. Thanks bunches.

Thread Information