To Do Lists and Stress Lists

Over the past 2 or 3 years, Lifesupporters has been somewhat stressing me out. This isn't due to anyone in particular, just my own malaise with what to do first, when and why? Historically however, the problem has always been that one thing takes much more time and energy than allotted and everything else that needs doing falls by the wayside.

Off and on I've used To Do Lists over the years and although they've been good at demonstrating what needs to be done, its really just a regurgitation of what I already know laid out in front of me.

Recently however I took a different approach and created a Stress List. This is more a list of items that need to be done however the twist is that the items mentioned may not have the highest priority but they do have the highest amount of emotional attachment.

Unlike a To Do List, a Stress List puts your emotions under scrutiny and once laid out in black and white, make it painfully obvious what you need to focus on for your own peace of mind.

I can honestly say that by creating a Stress List I've gained clarity that has been mudded over for years, perhaps as long as 4 or 5 years now.

The article I published in regards to Stress Lists can be seen here:

Webmaster Stress

Have you ever tried creating a Stress List and if so what was the final outcome?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: To Do Lists and Stress Lists

So tell me how you came up with this idea for a stress list? I'm intrigued.

The stress list was born out of necessity in the interests of self preservation more than anything.

I've often turned to "To Do" Lists whenever I became overwhelmed by projects on the go but often times just seeing it in front of me only added to my discomfort level. Much of the time I wouldn't even get one or two items into my To Do List before giving up simply because I never felt as if I were making headway.

The Stress List on the other hand, looks at items that need doing but from a more emotional standpoint. The Stress List is meant to only focus on items that need doing in order of emotional importance. The nice thing about looking at things from an emotional standpoint is it often clearly demonstrates emotional links between projects and gives me a much clearer picture of what I need to do in order of emotional importance; thus increasing emotional satisfaction upon completion.

I find that just writing down one of these Stress Lists makes me feel emotionally better simply because it brings all my emotional baggage to light.

Does this make any sense?
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Yes, that makes sense. What kinds of things would you consider to be emotionally based things? I'm trying to get a better idea to see if this is something I may want to adopt for myself.

I usually do well with to do lists, but every now and then something comes along that I just keep pushing back and pushing back. For example, I need to repair a little fence in my yard, and I keep pushing it back and never seem to get to it. I don't feel any kind of emotional anything that might be leading me to continuosly put it off, so I can't really figure it out. It would be a simple enough chore.

Quote Originally Posted by LovingSpirit View Post
    What kinds of things would you consider to be emotionally based things?
    Any chore or item that incites an internal negative emotional response such as stress, worry and/or anxiety.
    My Daughter Rules!

Nice! Stress reduction is a great way to prioritize a to do list - a list by any other name right?!? :-) Big fan of taking proactive steps to reduce emotional consternation in life... folks that take the time to outline what they have to get done and when tend to live less chaotic and stressed out lives. Of course, then there's the gratification and stress that comes from crossing that competed item right off of that list!!
    OlyLife
    Helping you make the most of your one and only life - That's OlyLife!

Excellent idea! So often we unconsciously neglect to look at or divert our attention from things that bring up negative emotions. Purposely writing a list which brings these matters to the forefront is a great way to confront and deal with them.

Thread Information