Internet and Social Media Behavior 101

Internet and social media behavior 101 - Yahoo! News

New York – We’re rude and crass and unthinking on the Internet for the same reason it’s easier to blow up people when you’re piloting a drone from 6,000 miles away.
    Psychologists call it “moral disengagement.” The further removed we are from the consequences of our actions, the easier it is to emotionally separate ourselves from our own behavior. Distance makes the heart grow colder.
    That’s one reason the Internet is filled with so much bad behavior. We see it on blogs, where vicious comments are posted by cowards who hide behind the cloak of anonymity. We see it, particularly among young people, in social media like Facebook and MySpace, where cyberbullying has had tragic consequences. And we see it in casual e-mails.
    Comments?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Internet and Social Media Behavior 101

Folks like that get banned from here.

There's enough ignorance all around us to let it permeate this little sanctuary.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Folks like that get banned from here.

There's enough ignorance all around us to let it permeate this little sanctuary.
    That's why I LOVE it here SO much as well because I feel safe here, and there is SO much genuine Love, Caring, Compassion, and Acceptance here! I honestly FEEL the warmth right through the screen, I really, really DO!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

It's amazing how much some people feel empowered online to be the biggest @ssh@ts possible. I've never seen so much callousness, crudeness and ignorance as I did my entire life prior to logging on.

The best thing one can do is look for safe havens online and stick to them like glue.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

I try not to read the comments on a popular music site when I go to listen to the songs. Some of the comments I've read cut me to the core and they aren't even directed at me.

I just don't understand that just because a person is anonymous, they can resort to such cruelty. What does that really say about a person? Is a person showing his/her 'good' side to people they see, but can be totally 'bad and obnoxious' to those they don't? That's really quite frightening to think about, don't you think?

The thing is, consequences are not immediate online. Even when there are consequences, the human brain is also not geared to realize that: it has always been geared to more immediate social contacts: friends, family, coworkers, etc, not towards people who might be living on the other side of the world.

We make a lot of assumptions about the world. Like that Russia is mainly similar to the US / Canada / Europe, but a poorer version of it. If you live in Russia however, it would probably be a statement that would be met with contempt, because it may bear little to no semblance to the actual living experience of being there.

If I call a woman all kind of nasty names in real life, I am sure my teeth would be rearranged. Not so online. Bad behavior online is not punished, but often rewarded.

Come to think of it, online pr0n and hate-based content might not be as problematic (text & images & videos only), as the responses and views it instills in people. Consciously you may know that a certain racist statement is false. But if it gets repeated many times, then it will influence people's perceptions (courtesy of Goebbels, Nazi-propaganda Minister). Sadly the principle of free speech does not protect us from idiotic speech.

If internet has proved anything in the past 15-20 years, is that a lot of people really do not want to take personal responsibility for their actions and the consequences thereof.

However, it is wrong to blame the medium. As a society at large, we fail the people to make them into responsible people.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Lu, many people are just big cowards and crumble when confronted. Maybe it's this fact that their aware of so when their online they overcompensate for it and just act out; they know the only thing anyone can do to them is comment back.

There are also a great number of people online who actually post the negativity your find offensive because it's the reaction they get that satisfies them. Some of the most offensive content online is funnier than h3ll and extremely imaginative if you can look at it without letting emotion take over.

Then there are others who are simply online to ruin your experience. They take great pains to ensure that everything they do online is aimed at ruining the end user experience. There are full websites designated for these types of people and there busy sites indeed.

When online one can be who one wants to be. Not everyone is a pure soul Lu so I'd suggest growing your skin some because it will only get worse as more people log on every day.
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information