Forward Re-Supply Tents

I've been giving this topic a lot of thought and I just don't think I want to set up tents at the forward spawn. The reason is that they serve no purpose other than to occupy manpower that should be used to storm the town.

I think if this were a battle based in the woods then tents and static machine gun emplacements would make sense but otherwise it seems like a waste of resources really.

I will likely assign some heavy machine gunners to hide out in the rocks and protect the forward re-supply point but other than that I do believe adding tents and other goodies may be going overboard.

Thoughts?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Forward Re-Supply Tents

Quote Originally Posted by Leimboy
    That sounds reasonable. One (or maybe two) MG gunners to defend the spawn area should be enough defense of that area (I have never seen any OPFOR that close to the spawn area).

Have you decided on what to do with the ammo crates/trucks?
    If it is possible to respawn a player with the default gear of his class (chosen during joining the game) that could also be a work-around to the whole ammo time-sink/frustration-source?
    Personally I would have no problems with this solution as you can always grab weapons from dead bodies anyway. It may also mean that players choose their role a bit more carefully and actually plays their role in the game. All leaders should have binoculars with this setting.

Just a suggestion...

I got to test the new version yesterday and did some tests and enjoyed myself at the same time

"Spawned Ammobox at Forward Re-Supply should immediately respawn if destroyed (not properly tested)"
    I did destroy this ammo box once with an RPG and it spawned back immediately. So far it looks OK. It also worked better than the ammo trucks when cycling through the available weapons. No weapons or ammo were found on the ground. The time bomb is also invisible btw.
    Personally I would reduce the available weapons that are available in the ammo box. I feel it is a bit excessive to be "realistic". Maybe just have the M16A4/M4A1 versions available + grenades and AT weapons (+ time bomb/satchel if something is to be blown up in the mission).

The weather is very rainy now compared to earlier versions. I like it but it's also feeling a bit depressive (maybe I'm just remembering my own time in the army )

Is it possible to set a time limit for the mission? Say we have to "nightfall" to capture the town else we have to retreat because of not having night equipment? I think this will give a sense of time pressure that is missing now. As it is now we will always win because with limitless respawns we will eventually "outproduce" the OPFOR. Just an idea of course...

I'll be back with more after some more testing
    I got to test the new version yesterday and did some tests and enjoyed myself at the same time
    Thats great to hear. In all honesty I think I enjoy this version the most of any so far.

I did destroy this ammo box once with an RPG and it spawned back immediately. So far it looks OK. It also worked better than the ammo trucks when cycling through the available weapons. No weapons or ammo were found on the ground. The time bomb is also invisible btw.
    Personally I would reduce the available weapons that are available in the ammo box. I feel it is a bit excessive to be "realistic". Maybe just have the M16A4/M4A1 versions available + grenades and AT weapons (+ time bomb/satchel if something is to be blown up in the mission).
    I couldn't agree more. I'll post what we have available so far and we'll whittle the list down.

The weather is very rainy now compared to earlier versions. I like it but it's also feeling a bit depressive (maybe I'm just remembering my own time in the army
    lol, I was in the army myself for a brief period (44th Field Squadron Engineers) hence my continual pursuit of mission authenticity.

I do agree the weather is a bit more gloomy but so is war so it was meant to add to the overall atmosphere. In all honesty, this is the weather pattern I've been trying to produce since I began. I've taken lead from atmosphere in movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers and you can really see it if you start looking at many of the mission aspects.

It is a bit more dynamic than it may appear however. Last night I loaded the mission twice and played until the forward re-supply point was captured. The first game was so stormy I actually had both thunder and lightening as well as heavy rain; the second mission had only clouds and wind.

The other concern I always have in the back of my mind is performance. This mission is so heavily scripted that some areas just bog the CPU down due to all the activity and objects within the game. In order to increase player framerates I've had to add fogging to the mission and the only way to add fog and make it authentic is to have it present all the time. Fog naturally burns off in sunlight so if it's sunny but still foggy it will clearly make for a fake environment. The addition of rain and storm effects means the fog can stick around longer and look authentic while helping to alleviate some CPU strain by not rendering distant objects.

I did came across a dynamic weather system last night that apparently can be used online to create all kinds of weather effects including particle based fog. It will likely be included in ALPHA 1.4 so lets wait until then to perform any weather related tweaks if we can.

Is it possible to set a time limit for the mission? Say we have to "nightfall" to capture the town else we have to retreat because of not having night equipment? I think this will give a sense of time pressure that is missing now. As it is now we will always win because with limitless respawns we will eventually "outproduce" the OPFOR. Just an idea of course...
    This I don't know. It may be possible to set a mission time limit but not with the standard Editor I believe. I'll keep my eyes open for a script.

I do believe however it is possible to set the objectives to either checkmark a completed objective or to X a failed one. This may make for a good compromise as all players will see objective status upon exit of mission.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Yup, this version is very enjoyable and everything seems to work as it should (I have still not entered Ortego, though).
    There were however two instances of some script error message on screen when Rolfy and I tested earlier today.
    1. Rolfy got an error message about some smoke effects. I don't remember exactly what it said, but I got the impression that it was because he did not have a certain addon installed (I played with the addons you recommended).
    2. I got a message when throwing a smoke grenade for testing purposes:
    "No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/default.sections'."
    I did not get another chance to throw a second smoke grenade.
    I deleted all smoke shells for ALPHA 1.4 as there only purpose really is to mark an LZ which we'll never do in this mission.

I've seen a few errors myself but thought it was due to some early added modfiles in my own ArmA install that have since been deleted, apparently that's not the case. Whenever I mission edit I always do it with my Vanilla ArmA (no mods) just to avoid these kind of issues.

It also could be issues with the weaponbox (as was the case with the smoke shells) so it may disappear as we whittle the list down, hopefully

I now know what you mean about the weather. Today I had very little rain in the mission and no thunder/heavy rain. I don't think the weather is synchronized though, as when Rolfy told me it was raining I didn't see any rain until about 5 minutes later.
    I added a JIP Script tonight which will hopefully sync all players, objectives and effects regardless of when you load into the mission. I'm not entirely sure if it's configured properly though so be patient with me because it may be buggy at first.

To update the objects with a "complete" or "not complete" would be excellent. This should help the teamplay so everybody is reaching for the same goal or are at least "on the same page" on what needs to be done.
    Getting the objectives to work properly has been an issue for me since starting this mission. I don't know when this will be integrated but it will be integrated prior to BETA.

Another thing Rolfy suggested that I tend to agree with is to display icons on the map of where the other human players are. I think this would help much in the way of teamplay. I've read your thread about concerns, so I can see where you don't want this in the mission with regards to realism. With that in mind I'm on the fence on this one.
    I agree, there are pros and cons to both sides of the topic. I'm pretty sure there is a script that allows for this functionality but where it is I have no idea. I'll keep my eyes open and if I run into it, I'll add the feature.
    My Daughter Rules!

On another note, me and Rolfy took the water tower hill after about an hour. It must have been the AI that gave it the final push since the column started to move just seconds after we had respawned. They were faster than us and reached the tower before we got there. All I could see and hear was that the AI armor engaged the BMPs. It looked like none of them were destroyed beforehand and they inflicted quite some damage on BLUFOR forces. Two M113 and the M1A1 was destroyed, but so were all the russian cars. This is the fastest I've seen the BLUFOR column have moved (maybe except when you and I tested - I can't remember).
    However, the supplies and medic M113 arrived safely some time later (but it was a hectic spawn for a moment, lol).
    I really wonder how this mission plays with more human players.

BTW, Rolfys computer held up quite well and he only had slowdowns/lag when looking through a scope towards Ortego and in the artillery shower.
    I ran into a bug tonight where the Forward Re-Supply Zone was declared captured however the area was crawling with AI who were just beyond the limits of the trigger. I think I'll make the trigger a bit larger (Water Tower to rocks) so this no longer occurs.

I actually think this is what you and Rolfy experienced earlier.

I'm really glad that it ran well on Rolfy's computer because it means that the mission may still be accessible to people with lower end machines.

Any chance you could ask Rolfy to sign up here so he can chime in?

...the more the merrier.

Thanks.
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information