Fear of the Dentist

I have a HUGE fear for the dentist. I go regularly for cleanings and check ups but now, i have a tooth (molar) that I either need to get a root canal done or get it pulled. I'm going to chose to have it pulled that way it'll be done and over with. I go next week after work and i am terrified!! The needle - OUCH!

i am such a baby when it comes to needles and the dentist.

who else has a huge fear for the dentist? do you all think like i do that it's legal torture?
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

Re: Fear of the Dentist

Star, you are NOT alone! I have a Wonderful Dentist that tells me Marvelous stories, but I STILL hold on with white knuckles to the arms of the chair. I need to be making an appointment for a checkup, and I keep putting it off! I have such sensitive teeth that I have to get needles, sometimes two or three before they can even touch me. I honestly don't mind the needles, it's everything else.

The sad part is that growing up, we never went to the dentist, so my teeth suffered from a young age.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I have a tremendous fear of the dentist. I'm so afraid that I will request having a tooth pulled by an oral surgeon, just so I can be put under for the proceedure. Do I hear waaaaaaaaa?

I also have a proceedure coming up on Friday moring. I had a cap fall off last week and I'm going to go have it replaced. I'm scared to death.

i have such a huge fear of the dentist and needles that at 15, i got a filling done without the freezing. i will never do that again! the pain was horrific. i can't believe the dentist actually agreed to do that in the first place. he was a horrible dentist. I remember him being so rough and everything would hurt.

my dentist that i have now is wonderful and to be honest, i don't even feel him giving me the needle he's so gentle - it's just the thought of the needle that totally stresses me out.

legal torture. that's what dentistry is. gawd! NOT looking forward to tuesday! YIKES!

it hurts to have a cap put on a tooth? i was told by my dentist that i need a crown on one of my teeth...does that hurt too?

Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    it hurts to have a cap put on a tooth? i was told by my dentist that i need a crown on one of my teeth...does that hurt too?
    No it shouldn't hurt if you have a good dentist. I just have bad luck with them. I always have. I had a horrible panic attack one time in the dentists chair and they had to call a time out while I cried and walked it out. Ya, I'm a BIG baby. If I had a choice, I'd be put under for all dental proceedures.

Quote Originally Posted by LovingSpirit View Post
    If I had a choice, I'd be put under for all dental proceedures.
    me too!!! but then we get into the fear of needles again. i also have a fear of getting that IV needle...not good....either way, i'm screwed. LOL!

i keep thinking that people with dentures are the lucky ones...they don't get tooth aches or fillings done or teeth pulled anymore...no more pain in the mouth. they defenitely would have to put me under to have all my teeth removed! that's a given!! YIKES!

I hate the dentist. My two front teeth are extremely close together, so much so that it's difficult to get floss in there. Every time I tell them to go easy they just assure me they will and end up splitting my gum right down the middle after jamming floss between my front teeth.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I hate the dentist. My two front teeth are extremely close together, so much so that it's difficult to get floss in there. Every time I tell them to go easy they just assure me they will and end up splitting my gum right down the middle after jamming floss between my front teeth.
    i know what you're saying...i have close teeth with my molars where floss is hard to get through. try using the dent sticks instead. they're like plastic toothpicks with some kind of rubber on the end...it massages the gums and feels great. i use them instead of floss because with floss, it feels like i'm going to pull a filling out and we don't want that! that would mean another trip to the dentist to replace the filling! OUCH!

i know what you're saying...i have close teeth with my molars where floss is hard to get through. try using the dent sticks instead. they're like plastic toothpicks with some kind of rubber on the end...it massages the gums and feels great. i use them instead of floss because with floss, it feels like i'm going to pull a filling out and we don't want that! that would mean another trip to the dentist to replace the filling! OUCH!
    OMG we couldn't have that happening!

it feels like i'm going to pull a filling out and we don't want that! that would mean another trip to the dentist to replace the filling! OUCH!

The thought of that happening is horrific! can you imagine??? OMG!

it feels like i'm going to pull a filling out and we don't want that! that would mean another trip to the dentist to replace the filling! OUCH!

The thought of that happening is horrific! can you imagine??? OMG!
    Yes I can actually. I've dislodged fillings while eating tootsie rolls. It always scared me to death because I'm afraid I'll feel pain.

Yes I can actually. I've dislodged fillings while eating tootsie rolls. It always scared me to death because I'm afraid I'll feel pain.
    that's never happened to me and i would feel terrified as well.

only 2 more days until i get that tooth pulled. i'm beginning to feel the stress.

Had to go to the dentist Friday, to have a bridge put back in. No dental insurance. Can you believe a little bit of glue was $130.00?
    Had a pleasant time, until they told me the cost.
    "If anyone is in Christ,he is a new creation:
    old things have passed away; behold, all things
    have become new." - 2 Corinthians 5:17

I was quoted a cost of $400 to have my crown put back on, but before that, I need a cavity filled in the tooth the crown came off of. We don't have $400 for this so will have to see what the city health program can offer for less. This is not over yet and I hate to have this playing anxiety in the back of my mind.

yeah? well guys, I am having all four of my wisdom teeth pulled out on Wednesday. And it will hurt so bad that they are going to put me to sleep before they do it.

Im not so worried about the pain, Im concerned that taking my wisdom teeth out will affect my 'wiseness' and then I am going to fail gr 10... =P
    Remember you are unique...
    Just like everyone else...

<3 Love your friends, <3 Love your family, <3 Love your life...

I love Duke, Luba, Charbar, Aunty Honney and VachelVace!!! <3<3<3

Quote Originally Posted by Dwoing View Post
    yeah? well guys, I am having all four of my wisdom teeth pulled out on Wednesday. And it will hurt so bad that they are going to put me to sleep before they do it.

Im not so worried about the pain, Im concerned that taking my wisdom teeth out will affect my 'wiseness' and then I am going to fail gr 10... =P
    I still have all my wisdom teeth and it hasn't helped make me any smarter
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Dwoing, you have SOOOO much wisdom for your young age and beyond that you will ALWAYS have wisdom to spare!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Yikes! All four at once huh? It's a good thing they're putting you to sleep. You'll be good to go when you wake up with no emotional hangover from the trauma of seeing the dentist standing with his foot on your chest while he tries to remove those suckers.......

The problem is that I'll have to feed her pablum for the weekend after she gets her teeth pulled out. D33zl3, why oh why could you have not gotten my mouth and your moms looks?

As far as I can tell, you only got my brain in the deal and that just sux.
    My Daughter Rules!

hahaha
    Remember you are unique...
    Just like everyone else...

<3 Love your friends, <3 Love your family, <3 Love your life...

I love Duke, Luba, Charbar, Aunty Honney and VachelVace!!! <3<3<3

What is pablum?

What is pablum?
    You're joking right?

Pablum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My Daughter Rules!

What is pablum?
    You're joking right?

Pablum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Oh baby food! Truly, I never heard the word pablum before this thread.

so, i went to the dentist yesterday and had that tooth pulled. OMG! i thought i was going to die! it was like a horror movie. he had to freeze me 4 times!! 4!!! and i still felt a little pain with the last pull of that tooth. I got all tense and sweaty and i felt like i was going to have a panic attack. I didn't go to work today cause i was in pain all night and when i woke up this morning, i couldn't open up my mouth (hubby was happy about that). I am feeling better now though so i will be going to work tomorrow but i have to say that it's super unconfortable having this hole in the back of my mouth.

I vote that we should all get put under when a tooth needs to be pulled. it's horrifying! I am traumatized

Thread Information