Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to get a good nights sleep

I've come to realize that the reason I'm so tired much of the time is because I wake up between 2 - 4 times per night. For whatever reason I'm becoming increasingly unable to get a good nights sleep and it seems to be getting worse instead of better.

I was wondering if any of you have any ideas, tips or tricks on what you do to get a good nights sleep?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: How to get a good nights sleep

For me, if I'm wide awake I usually just get up for awhile, maybe read or work on a Crossword Puzzle. What really works for me, as I said in another post, is getting into a totally comfortable position cuddling my pillow and honestly, thinking Gratitude thought to fall back asleep on, I get the best sleep then. I refuse to think about problems or anything negative.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Rox Guest

Usually there are 3 things that can wake me up:
    <> Noise
    <> Light (let's say i turn around a bit and my eyes open slightly and the light makes me wake up) I seem to need as close to total darkness as possible for good sleep
    <> Nature calls caught a cold a few years back and its never been the same as before..

I've also read that sometimes being overweight can cause trouble with sleeping.
    As well as a poor matress, some type of foods eaten right before bed-time, uncomfortable temperature..
    ..and that's all I can think of right now

Im lying, I remember also tips for a good sleep, such as avoiding computer and tv at least 1 hour before bed, nice bath, nice book, nice glass of warm milk ..
    At some point I was under the impression that doing some type of physical activity close to bed-time can work for me because I'll be tired, but I noticed that I'm less likely to fall asleep, as Im still worked up and energized, even if tired at the same time.

Maybe you have sleep apnea.

I actually do have sleep apnea but my problem with getting a good nights sleep has gotten worse as I age instead of better. I thought this a good topic for anyone to find hints and/or tips on how to increase their odds of a good nights sleep.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

I knew we had threads here about sleep, but this is the closest one I could find about what I found out this morning. Where else but from the "Oprah" show I recorded a week or so ago.

Bob Greene says if you're not getting seven to nine hours a night, you are putting your health at risk.
    "We know that if you don't get enough sleep, it can actually shorten your life," sleep expert Dr. Ronald Kotler says. "It can contribute to problems like diabetes and obesity."

Most people don't think of sleep as something that can make them fat, but Dr. Kotler says it's definitely a contributing factor. "While you're sleeping, the brain makes this chemical called leptin. Leptin is involved in suppressing your appetite, so that if you're not sleeping enough and you're not making enough leptin, you're going to be hungry all day. And if you're going to be hungry all day, you're going to eat and put on weight...then you put yourself at risk for sleep apnea, and it becomes a vicious cycle," he says.
    Dr. Ronald Kotler on the Importance of Sleep - Oprah.com
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

benadryl is what i do, sometimes relaxation music

I try to avoid drugs as much as possible. I remember, in my student days, I'd use Buddhist chanting music on occasion. Worked like a charm.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

A couple of things I would suggest :

1) a mattress topper - I bought one recently and swear by it.
    2) a couple of drops of essential oil on the pilllow. Use lavender to start with . Then if you want something a bit stronger try basil. For those nights you really can't sleep a couple of drops of roman chamomile will knock you out!

Good sleep is very important for everyone. The most common factors for not getting sleep are a anxiety, depression, tension, fear. To get a good sleep Stay on schedule, To avoid sleeping during the day. If possible, do exercise every day for 20 minutes. If possible Sleeping in silence. Avoid alcohol before bedtime. Avoid caffeine, etc...

Also there is more and more evidence coming out that the use of computers before bedtime may be detrimental to one's sleep.

I am doomed.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Also there is more and more evidence coming out that the use of computers before bedtime may be detrimental to one's sleep.

I am doomed.
    There are so many items in the Health segments of the News these days, along with items on the Internet, that it seems no matter what we try to do sleep won't come like it should.

When I fill my mind with positive affirmations just before going to sleep, I have the best sleep ever. I try not to forget to do those, especially when I wander around about 1:00 a.m...

The only thing I can add is that since doing without a kettle and therefore coffee I’ve been sleeping very well. No more restless legs.

I also find repeating something rather than ruminating about the day’s events helps.

I chose to repeat ‘Body heal thyself’ and believe that this also keeps my mind from worrying about every little ache and pain.

Nice post.....

What are you sleeping on Duke?

Invest in a decent pocket spring mattress and it might help a great deal. I bought one in 2005 and it was well worth the investment.

I actually have a very good Sealy Matress and box spring which are very comfortable but comfort doesn't equate to sound sleep, at least in my case.

I find I actually sleep better if I'm on the couch, simply because it's more restricting and I move around far less than I do on my Queen Sized bed. I have been considering that memory foam mattress and a Sleep Number bed but I guess I have to marry rich to afford them.
    My Daughter Rules!

You could adopt a cat. They'll take up half the space anyway.

If you want to be unable to move, adopt multiple cats.

ya lol that would work if I actually like cats which I don't.

My daughters cat couldn't accept that and pretended to be a dog to break through my defenses. I've never seen such a needy cat in all my life.

He only made what little sleep I got worse because he was always rubbing himself on my bloody cranium all the while purring in my ear.
    My Daughter Rules!

Dogs then? Same idea ...

I'd love to have a dog and the only reason I don't is because I refuse to walk behind it with a warm bag of p00p. I will not ever, for any reason, EVER pick up my dogs sh1t.

Nobodies offering to pick up mine.
    My Daughter Rules!

Hmmm, the number of pets becomes more and more limited. Exotic animals? Can't really think of anything suitable then.

If those suggestions do not work, then the only other way would be to keep a lot of stuff on your bed (spare pillows?), so you can't really move around as much.

I did have an iguana once but he was a bit of an @ss. He'd always hiss at me and whack me with his tail.

He was given to me with a hate on for people but I have considered getting another one. This time I'll get a baby and keep him on my shoulder whenever I'm at home. This way he'll acclimate to people and be much more friendly toward them.
    My Daughter Rules!

That should definitely help. A lot of animals have had not so nice experiences with humans, and it will of course affect their behaviors for the rest of their lives.

They can have formed the seemingly strangest associations between human behavior and their experiences. Don't take it personally when a pet does not like you.

But unless iguanas grow to be the size of a komodo lizard, it still does not solve your sleeping problem.

I've heard that drinking tea and consuming garlic is a natural sleep aid. For over 21 years, I've only been able to get approximately 4 hours of sleep per week. (On Average.)

This not only hurts the blood vessels in your brain, but causes other medical problems as well as psychological problems that only lead to even less sleep.

I hope you find the cure soon and pass it on to others.

I think this is why so many get addicted to sleep aids because it's really easy to turn to them when lack of sleep is messing with your physical/mental wellness.

If I get no rest over the course of a few days, I'll actually take a nyquil before bed and that allows me to get a minimum of 4 - 6 hours straight sleep.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because I could see it being habit forming but I can say that I was prescribed sleeping pills and nyquil is by far better and I think, much safer.
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information