Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf

Re: Golf

Fred Couples took a lot of flack for taking Tiger Woods as his pick to play in the President's Cup. A lot of people thought it should have been Keegan Bradley.

The Americans did win and on the last day, Tiger came through nicely. I'm a Phil Mickelson fan, but a fan or not of Tiger, he was a good pick by Fred.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I'm crying as I type this as it's been a heartbreaking weekend for Phil and his fans, of which I am one! The story I am linking to below covers it all about this beloved person and golfer.

ARDMORE, Pa. – Suddenly, everyone started running. Hundreds of fans jogged, then sprinted toward the 18th green. They clambered over ropes and trampled manicured fairways. Course officials, there to watch and monitor a normally serene golf crowd, flashed looks of panic in their eyes when they saw the mob.
    "MARSHALS!" one yelled. "We need HELP!"
    There would not be enough help. There were too many fans, too many people wanting to run at Phil Mickelson, wanting to see him make the chip that would go down in golf history as the shot that forced a playoff and saved his dream of winning the U.S. Open.
    Fans slid into bunkers, climbed trees, lost shoes. "This is not a good idea!" said one. "I'll never find my boyfriend!" wailed another.
    They ran anyway, kicking up mud and mire behind them like colts in spring. All for a 43-year-old lumbering rock star with a lopsided grin and a history of arthritis.
    All those unruly fans, rimming the final hole, finally held perfectly still when Mickelson bent over his shot. So few of them could see the ball around all the heads and shoulders, and nobody cared. They could hear. They could sense. They were there.

Then the moment was gone. Mickelson had missed his last chance at a tie for first with Justin Rose, finishing second in America's championship for a record sixth time. The fans turned and slouched away.
    Heartbreak. That's the word Mickelson used over and over again to describe what he called "very possibly" his most difficult loss. In U.S. Open history, he's the symbol of the near miss, right down to the way his putts rimmed the cup again and again on Sunday in a final-round 74 to finish two shots back. Mickelson, always in second place.
    Yet in golf lore, he's something else completely.
    There's no rhyme or reason to how Mickelson lost the U.S. Open – again. It felt all day like greater forces were propelling him to win. On 14, after a drenching rain, the sun came out only moments before Mickelson dropped a beautiful chip within par distance. He made it. On 15, Mickelson heard the whoops and shouts of the gallery on his left as he walked, and a rainbow emerged on his right pointing down toward the 17th green where he hit the shot of his life only a day before.
    Read more:

Y! SPORTS
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

What an exciting finish to the PGA Championship! Jason Dufner was spectacular!

Exciting three man playoff in the Players Golf Tournament. I'm for Rickie Fowler and my husband is for Sergio Garcia. Got to go and holler and cheer loudly for Rickie!

Rickie Fowler WON!

Very exciting four day U.S. Open golf tournament, exciting finish and win by young Jordan Spieth. Very courageous and inspirational completion to the tournament by Australian Jason Day when it seemed like he may not be able to go further since Friday's health scare. A very hard golf course to play which provided negative comments and a lot of grinding on many, many holes. Top golfers of the past didn't play as well as they expected.

Its nice to see youngsters like Jordan Spieth winning such a competition. It inspires others of the same age to take up the game

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Sanchez View Post
    Its nice to see youngsters like Jordan Spieth winning such a competition. It inspires others of the same age to take up the game
    Yes, he and Rickie Fowler have a huge following, and I belong to that group, too. I still hold Phil Mickelson close to my heart and am a huge fan.

I'm going to watch the final day for the WGC tournament today. Phil Mickelson is doing well and I hope it's a good day for him. That being said, whoever wins is the one that deserves to for having a good tournament, so I will be happy for whoever it happens to be.

I see that Tiger Woods made the cut on the first tournament of the year so will be watching today. Phil Mickelson and our Canadian golfer, Adam Hadwin, were doing well, too.

Have you ever golfed yourself Luba?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    I see that Tiger Woods made the cut on the first tournament of the year so will be watching today. Phil Mickelson and our Canadian golfer, Adam Hadwin, were doing well, too.
    How could I POSSIBLY not mention Jason Day, one of my very, very favourites who was doing SO well!

What an incredible tournament that wasn't completed yesterday and I can hardly wait to read the results today. It went into playoff between Noren and Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Have you ever golfed yourself Luba?
    Yes, once; very funny story for me but, I guess, not so for our sons. I would love to golf but it is very expensive for those of us living on limited income.

Not surprised you went with the younger guy in that play-off
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Not surprised you went with the younger guy in that play-off

I really like Fred Couples, too, and he's a touch older.

sure ...

sure ...

It's great to see Tiger Woods getting back to his Golf game; did really well in two of the last tournaments.

I'm sure learning a lot about the beautiful continent of Australia, having watched the "Australian Open" and most of "The President's Cup". Since it's such a time difference here, the I have yet to watch the last match.
    Thank you

I'm sure learning a lot about the beautiful continent of Australia, having watched the "Australian Open" and most of "The President's Cup". Since it's such a time difference here, the I have yet to watch the last match.
    Bagus

Oh yeah

Thank you

Not watching the tournament this week as hockey playoffs are taking top billing in my love of Sports!

:o

Does that mean the Canucks have done well?

Thread Information