Pope Apologizes for Sex Abuse in UK

Pope to UK: deeply sorry, ashamed of sex abuse - Yahoo! News

LONDON – Pope Benedict XVI said Saturday he was ashamed of the "unspeakable" sexual abuse of children by priests, telling the British faithful during Mass in Westminster Cathedral that he was deeply sorry and hoped the church's humiliation would help victims heal.

The sex abuse scandal has clouded Benedict's four-day state visit to this deeply secular nation with a centuries-old history of anti-Catholic sentiment. Polls have indicated widespread dissatisfaction in Britain with the way Benedict has handled the crisis, with Catholics nearly as critical of him as the rest of the population.

He acknowledged the shame and humiliation all the faithful had suffered as a result of the scandal and said he hoped "this chastisement will contribute to the healing of the victims, the purification of the church and the renewal of her age-old commitment to the education and care of young people."

He asked the faithful to show concern for victims and solidarity with priests.

Martin Brown, 34, who was in the crowd outside the cathedral, termed it "a good apology."

"He seemed to really mean it; he was genuinely sorry," Brown said. "It's good he mentioned it and it's good he didn't dwell on it for too long. He got it just about right."

Comments?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Pope Apologizes for Sex Abuse in UK

Pope Benedict XVI should report the priests responsible for abusing children to the police, and until he does so, these priests will, if they are still practising, continue their evil ways. IMO, his apologising doesn't go nearly far enough.

Sorry is not going to cut it. It does not take the pain away. And the church really does not seem to be doing too much about it.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Priests should be allowed to marry, that might take a good chunk out of the deviancy behind the cloth. I feel for the victims, but I also feel for the accused as well. We covet what we see everyday.

Some of the 'victims' could be having flash backs from a repressed memory in childhood, seen the news on the Catholic Church and then began picketing right along with the other victims. Sort of a mass hysteria if you will.

I feel bad for all. So many things I've researched over this past year about abuse in general has made me quite soft for some abusers, especially the Priests that have been accused.

We do know that psychologists also play a major role in what people believe to have happened to them - to the point that people fabricate memories (and this can be scientifically proven in quite a few cases), with devastating consequences.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Eh... Some Psychologists...

You know, there are Priests that have been doing some very aggressive old therapy techniques to 'rid' themselves of impure thoughts. Sometimes these therapeutic exercises can cause even more inappropriate thoughts than what the Priest was dealing with in the first place.

I seen some examples of these mental push-ups and I have to say, I would go out of my mind quicker than some of them have. Most of us do have sexual desires and a lot have desires that are deemed mentally ill. Priests are people too and everyone has their limits on what type of material they can ingest before they pop.

In a lot of ways, I think that some of the therapeutic techniques have done more damage than good in some cases. The Catholic Church has been dealing with this issue for longer than they publicly admit and with good reason.

I don't think the powers that be realized that some people would act upon their impure thoughts and cause so much damage by keeping this all a secret. After all, the Catholic Church did try to remedy its own problem internally.

Thread Information