Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey

Hockey

Once again a huge buildup for the Vancouver Canucks, their fortieth Anniversary, and they lost.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Hockey

There is always the next match / season ...
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Once again, I'm excited; no, the word is Super-excited! The Canucks are doing well and I'm hopeful for that elusive Stanley Cup!

Canucks Report - Vancouver Canucks - News

WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPS

The Canucks have clinched the first overall seed in the Western Conference for the first time in franchise history, bolstering new franchise marks for points in a season (111), wins (51) and road wins (26) in the process.

"We talked about getting in, getting first in our division, and if the conference was there, go for it," Coach Alain Vigneault said. "We did it and we clinched it. It is a good moment for our group."

"It's nice," Luongo said. "It's one of our goals that we set out to accomplish when we started the year, but we have more goals ahead of us."

Up until now, the highest the Canucks have ever been seeded in the Stanley Cup Playoffs is 3rd, a feat they’ve accomplished four times in the past seven years.

The Canucks magic number to clinch the President’s trophy is down to two. Any combination of two Flyers losses or two Canucks wins, gives Vancouver the trophy.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Hope they don't disappoint in the rest of the season.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Hope they don't disappoint in the rest of the season.
    Exactly! That's when things have usually fallen apart. You know me, the eternal Optimist! Waving my little Canuck flag already!

On another note, I really like the coach, too! He's sure got a way with the media and he's nice to look at, too! I remember being upset when Marc Crawford left to another team, but I'm okay with it now.

Reminds me of the discussion on football in high school. Women don't care about tactics, they care about good looks and nice butts.

Reminds me of the discussion on football in high school. Women don't care about tactics, they care about good looks and nice butts.

Turnabout is fair play. How about men watching women's volleyball?

I watch my husband watching women's beach volleyball. Somehow he's a little closer to the screen with glazed eyes, something close to drool on his lips, and I'm sure it's not the game he's interested in.

Okay, so I'm off-topic...er...will eventually get back to hockey. Maybe we should start a topic on Women's Beach Volleyball.

I can't help it, I'm SOOOO hopeful again! The Vancouver Canucks won the President's Trophy for the very first time!

Canucks win Presidents' Trophy - Yahoo! News

VANCOUVER, British Columbia – Vancouver defenseman Christian Ehrhoff scored the go-ahead goal with 0.9 seconds left in the second period and the Canucks won their first Presidents' Trophy for the NHL's best record with a 3-1 victory over the Los Angeles Kings on Thursday night.

With play-offs, the expectations sadly do not match up often with the results. Sadly. We can only hope that they'll finally perform up to our hopes.

With play-offs, the expectations sadly do not match up often with the results. Sadly. We can only hope that they'll finally perform up to our hopes.
    Isn't that the truth! With the Canucks having their best season e-ver, maybe, just maybe, they will continue to do well in the playoffs! Two weeks away, I believe!

Vautrin, will you cheer them on with me? I need all the help I can get to send off Positive vibes to the Coast! Anyone else wanting to cheer them on, I will greatly appreciate it!

I saw on the News last evening where Vancouver is really gearing up for the playoffs, Restaurants, Bars, Retail Outlets, Hotels, etc. Hockey tickets are going to go up in price greatly as the Canucks go in the playoffs.

It is good there is a positive vibe. Just hope it will last until the start of next season.

It is good there is a positive vibe. Just hope it will last until the start of next season.
    I don't want to think negatively as every year the Canuck fans (which include me) get all excited only to have our hopes dashed. So I'm going to go game by game and for now be happy that they've done so well so far!

I found my 'Vancouver Canucks' t-shirt and will be wearing it for good luck from now right through the playoffs. Of course, it will need washing but then it goes right back on again!

Go Canucks!

Well, I suppose you could call for good luck by wearing it on every day of the games, without washing it. One occasionally hears stories of people who do that.

Though your husband might be praying the Canucks bow out soon then.

Well, I suppose you could call for good luck by wearing it on every day of the games, without washing it. One occasionally hears stories of people who do that.
    Really? People actually don't wash the shirt? Is that supposed to help with holding on to a good result of the game?

Though your husband might be praying the Canucks bow out soon then.
    Funny you would say that! My husband is not a Vancouver Canuck fan at all! He actually doesn't watch the game anymore as so many rules have changed.

What team did he support?

What team did he support?
    At one time he was a Toronto Maple Leafs fan.

After all the hype about the Canucks winning the President's Trophy, they lose two games to the last-place Edmonton Oilers. It started to look like the same results as the playoffs when they just seem to lose momentum. However, they won 5-0 yesterday over the Minnesota Wild so I guess I will raise the Canuck flag again!

I guess it's just hard for us Canuck fans to get so enthusiastic only to crash and burn each year. Hopefully this year it will be different.

Sports are a bit like a drug addiction I suppose. Highs are few and far in between, and so many depressing results en route to them. Why don't we enjoy the game, regardless of who wins?

Sports are a bit like a drug addiction I suppose. Highs are few and far in between, and so many depressing results en route to them. Why don't we enjoy the game, regardless of who wins?
    Sorry, Vautrin, that's not how I operate. To me a game is exciting if I have a team that I like and especially those little bets I used to have. Two teams playing and no one to cheer for, is a little like watching paint dry and a waste of my time.

-----------------

I just read that Chicago is playing Vancouver in the first round and my heart is in my throat. Vancouver does not have a good record against Chicago in the playoffs. I have to admit my hopes are somewhat dimmer but will keep some hope alive. I just don't want to feel crushed yet again as us crazy Canuck fans do when their season is over.

It would be crushing to see their spectacular season end in the first round. But....I must have hope!

Reduce expectations, hope for the best ... and see whoever you are up against in the second round .

Reduce expectations, hope for the best ... and see whoever you are up against in the second round .
    Sorry, Vautrin; that's darn near impossible for me through these playoffs. I'm wearing my old Vancouver Canucks t-shirt through the games. My anxiety is fierce, and I'm in the state of wary hopefulness.

Vancouver won the first two games and now they go to Chicago. They won't have that fierce Canuck loyalty and will be on 'enemy territory'. Chicago is a team that is constantly on the attack, whereas Vancouver (and I'm not the only one that thinks this way) has their ebb and flow.

My thinking these days is mostly about the Canucks that I forgot to record one of my very favourite shows last night, being all involved in the game.

If they are 2-0 up, they ought to be favorites to go through to the next round. What will you do if they win the series against Chicago 4-0?

If they are 2-0 up, they ought to be favorites to go through to the next round. What will you do if they win the series against Chicago 4-0?
    That would be in-cred-ible but not very likely to happen, even for a positive thinker like me to dream about that! Chicago just keeps going and going like the Energizer Bunny!

Third game is tonight? Right?

Thread Information