Thread: Your dream home

Your dream home

If you could design and build your dream home what would it look like?

I know my dream home would certainly have lots of windows, be extremely bright and house an indoor pool, squash court and a huge greenhouse not only filled with tropical plants but also some exotic pets such as Iguanas, Parrots, Fish and maybe even a flamingo lol.

I don't necessarily need a large usable yard but some yard would be nice, especially if it were tastefully landscaped. Also, it would be ideal to be more in a country setting if possible, somewhere that experiences all 4 seasons.

It would probably look something like this when done:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Your dream home

Duke, parts of that house look a LOT like a house I saw in a dream once. Almost eerily so. That's crazy...

I don't have many specific things I want in a house. I like places with warm feelings, so probably a lot of natural wood color and warm lighting. I'd also like a lighted pool outside, and a giant detached garage with tons of materials and tools so my boyfriend and I could work on his '35 Dodge no matter what the weather is like.

Something like this on about 10 acres would be great. Would also want huge shop/garage as well since it's my dream house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

That looks like a really nice cabin wdh, nice and cozy.

Maybe for Christmas I'll buy you a Snuggie.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

I really like that house WDH. That is my kind of place, in the hills, secluded, woodsy. I like it.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Quote Originally Posted by Railyn View Post
    Duke, parts of that house look a LOT like a house I saw in a dream once. Almost eerily so. That's crazy...
    Hopefully it was a good dream
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Was Duke in the dream too??
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Well if I remember correctly, it was extremely haunted, as well as the grounds. And there was something terribly wrong with the pool... Was still a nice house though! lol

Well if I remember correctly, it was extremely haunted, as well as the grounds. And there was something terribly wrong with the pool... Was still a nice house though! lol
    Ya, Duke was in it!!! Ha Ha Sorry Duke, I couldn't resist.

My dream home is in Las Vegas. I have a time share there at a new resort. I can't wait to get back. There is just soooo much to see and I don't even gamble.

WDH, your kitchen is beautiful! Ours is roughly the same layout being wood floors and beamed ceilings, but the cooking range is against the wall so to vent out. My dream house is the one I am living in now. Just can't be beaten.

The staircase in your 2nd pic is beautiful, to. It's rather like ours what winds up, but we have mezzanines either side, and the exterior our house resebles a church steeply. Its porch, I mean.

My dream for having a crafting room all to myself came only last year when my mum gave one of the loft rooms to me for sole use. Its ideal because I can stow myself away when needing personal space, its warm and cosy and I have a woodstove for when the nights get chilly. Our garden is set aside partly for growing fruit and vegetables, the other side, for flowers and shrubs. Our house is also hidden away in the trees away from nosy neighbours. My dream home, then.

Your home sounds very beautiful the way you described it, floxx.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Floxx - island kitchens are pretty cool. The Jenn-air vents through the floor.

While I'd love to have the above, my real home, albeit modest, works fine with RV parking, covered patio, garage, garden space, and best of all....it's cheaper than renting an apartment. Guess that's why the above is a merely a dream since I'll never have the resources to have it. But that's ok.
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Your home sounds very beautiful the way you described it, floxx.
    Thanks Luba, yes it is beautiful and we were lucky to have found it as the surveyor condemned the previous house we were intending to buy. It's big enough so every family member can steal away for their own personal space. A big family needs that.

Quote Originally Posted by waydownhere View Post
    Floxx - island kitchens are pretty cool. The Jenn-air vents through the floor.

While I'd love to have the above, my real home, albeit modest, works fine with RV parking, covered patio, garage, garden space, and best of all....it's cheaper than renting an apartment. Guess that's why the above is a merely a dream since I'll never have the resources to have it. But that's ok.
    Thats amazing how the cooking range vents down through the floor.

Is the interior clad with Nordic pine? Or, Canadian Redwood? Lovely long beams, and beautifully mitred for a perfect fit.

On the first pic showing the exterior, are the walls built from blocks of slate similar to the roof, or maybe they are riven granite? The 'bricks' are very uniform in size -appealing. In a dream house I would like to see some geometric design as I like orderliness, just like that picture.

I suppose these days where energy costs need to be saved, the way to go would be photovoltaic roof tiles. These are often seen in Switzerland and Austria on properties up the mountain sides where electricity can be saved, or if one is partly living off-grid. I lived in Greece for a year and we had free hot water enough to fill a corner bath, this being heated by solar panels on the roof. A dream home what saves on fuel costs is more than ideal. Long term, electricity costs are saved.

A small but airy beach house in Hawaii or SoCal is all I need.
    Lots of white paint and teak wood and a professional grade kitchen. I need large screened windows for letting in fresh air and I need to be able to fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean.

Or... maybe a ranch in Cabo.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

My Dream Home

Sadly i have learnt through the past 4 years that your Dream Home is the one place that keeps you and the children safe at night. The place that you can hang your daughters picture or photos, because you cant when you are only renting the house.

In your dream home you can own a dog, but when renting, that is rarely permissable.

I have learnt now that the home is merely a structure.......what is more important is the feeling of security, the closeness of the family and the freedom to do things that you cant unless you are actually paying it off, or have done so.

I once had a great house, 5 bedrooms, 3 toilets, 2 level ranch style with triple garage. Everything automatic including the pool, air con, heated floors, garage doors, even windows and blinds...........

After losing the same i now know i would swap it in a heartbeet for the privelage of hanging up the photo of my dayghters "latest hottie", or the photo of her on the horse jumping gates in a an equestrian event. The joy of owning a dog if i want one and the comfort of knowing i dont get a demeaning house inspecion every 3 months to justify extending the lease.

My dream home could be the smallest, crappiest shack in the world.....as long as we own it and we are all together.

(Sorry if i turned a somewhat good feeling post into a sombre one)

JMT

I am building my dream home right now, just started the insulation last night. It will cost virtually nothing to heat, power or maintain as it is 240 sq. ft. and on a 20' trailer.

The best part is that it is completely paid for and I will be parking it for free.

My dream home is a combination of both Snookes and Paul, my own and basic /easy to maintain.

It is a big part of the reason i gave up living in a house to live on a boat, ( an old work boat i am converting ), she is going to be very basic and all hand made nothing fancy most up cycled bits i have thrown together but love her though she is far from finished and been much blood sweat and tears is at least mine.

If money was no object a small cabin in the woods would be lovely, again full of hand made bits be it my crafty bits or hand made by others, just love the 'life' in hand crafted things, they don't have to be perfect adds to the character

Living on a boat sounds great as well as having a cabin in the woods. Both ideas are great, I think.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Both are interesting.

But a cabin in the wood and access to the comforts of modern life (they are not that many but still) usually don't go well together. As for the boat, it can be a wonderful option - but are you going to trek around, or going to stay in the same place?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Yes some of the comforts of modern life is what i miss , mainly not having a constant supply of water, especially hot water.

I have lived aboard for 5 yrs with the hubby on a dutch barge and trekked around the UK inland waterways but was limited where we could go on them due to its size. I needed my own space so got a go anywhere sized narrowboat, after 5 yrs of constant travelling am looking forward to getting her up onto her mooring and settling a bit. The mooring is beautiful but does not have any services so will still need to travel a little, regularly to stock up.

Oh wow! That is quite something, and it must be liberating to never really be stuck at the same place.

Mooring up of course takes away from that liberty, but at the same time, should make life a bit easier, even if you still have to do a fair bit of traveling for supplies and such.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Oh i like this thread!

Call me crazy...... but in my free time i draw up house layout's all the time! I have notebooks full. I love houses, and i def would love to build my own!

I to like alot of windows, and an indoor pool would be cool! I'm all about characteristic's so i like wood carved trim and so forth. Also would love to have a wrap around porch. Got to have a fireplace and the best bathtub ever. But what really makes my dream home is the horses out in the field and the animal rescue sanctuary.
    " To thy own self be true..."

Quote Originally Posted by BridgieBridge View Post
    Oh i like this thread!

Call me crazy...... but in my free time i draw up house layout's all the time! I have notebooks full. I love houses, and i def would love to build my own!

I to like alot of windows, and an indoor pool would be cool! I'm all about characteristic's so i like wood carved trim and so forth. Also would love to have a wrap around porch. Got to have a fireplace and the best bathtub ever. But what really makes my dream home is the horses out in the field and the animal rescue sanctuary.
    That's just beautiful, Bridgie! You described it so well that I can picture it all in my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by BridgieBridge View Post
    Oh i like this thread!

An animal rescue sanctuary sounds idyllic, and of course sadly much needed.

Thread Information