Earliest childhood memories

One of my earliest childhood memories is waking up one night and seeing what appeared to be a man sized rabbit standing/leaning next to my brothers crib. I'm not even actually sure if it every happened but it is a strong image in my mind so I think there was something to it although my childhood fears may have made it seem scarier than it actually was.

There are other memories I have from my early childhood such as eating an entire bottle of Flintstones chewable vitamins, playing Smash up Derby with my brother, and climbing the big tree in our tiered front yard (if you can call it that) at 410 Victoria Street.

Please share some of your earliest childhood memories.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Earliest childhood memories

One of my earliest ones from my older sister's 5th birthday probably, which would have made me a year and a half. I just remember her and her friends didn't like me tagging behind them.

My first childhood memory is going with my Mom to see my Uncle who had passed away. What a strange first memory to ever have.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whos getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

My first memory is of my Dad rocking me while I drooled on his back as he sang to me. I have no idea how old I was, but I'm pretty sure I was still in diapers.

My memory is very odd, it never shuts down. Unfortunately, I remember everything or in some cases - I'm fortunate.

The earliest I can remember was when I was about 4, my brother came home from school, saw me in the living room and asked my mom: "How come she doesn't have to go to school?" I can see him walking through the front door like it was yesterday.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

The temperature inside my bedroom had fallen to -25C. Outside, ice hung like great sheets from the windows. Throughout the night loud crashes would wake me. Icicles had fallen from the upper gutterings onto corrugated iron roofs of our outhouses. I would scratch at the ice to look out across a snowy landscape lit by a silvery ghostly moon. I would shiver inside -wolves! Terrible creatures. Especially terrible at night were them monsters.

Cussing, I'd chuck more logs into the stove. It was a big pot bellied leviathon but was easy to keep lit even with the damper down. It also was close to my bed what was a sleigh bed for its deep sides would keep me warm and free from icy drafts in a long night what felt longer as them monsters outside kept up there hideous howling.

I slept under wolf pelts and reindeer. No luxuries like feather duvets and stuff. Later I was to discover mummy experienced exactly the same, but in Arctic Murmansk. Only real fur is what keeps the chills away. It was like sleeping beneath one of them mosters outside with the snarly slivering mouths, razor sharp teeth what could rip you in half given the chance. And them wolves' horrible piercing bluey-grey eyes.

I would peek out from under the pelts on hearing a sudden noise. My breath would hang in the candle light of my bedroom made cosy from logs what I'd chopped only the autumn before. Most nights I used to cry myself to sleep with only one eared old Ted for company. I wanted a mummy. I mean, a real mummy. But that wasn't to happen until I was thirteen; just eight more years and I would see her walk through the door to carry me home.

Stupid but I'm crying now. Even the beautiful backing track of the Joanna Lumley vid of the Northern Lights somehow got to trigger me.

I remember looking at my mothers kitchen drawers upside down. I guess I was standing and putting my head between my legs? I do not remember how old I was but I am thinking 2 or 3 =O

Quote Originally Posted by Rebekah View Post
    I remember looking at my mothers kitchen drawers upside down. I guess I was standing and putting my head between my legs? I do not remember how old I was but I am thinking 2 or 3 =O
    That's very cute!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whos getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    One of my earliest childhood memories is waking up one night and seeing what appeared to be a man sized rabbit standing/leaning next to my brothers crib.
    Do you mean Frank from "Donnie Darko"?!

My earliest memory is putting together a small puzzle (maybe 16 - 24 large pieces?) sitting at a little, red, kid sized table in our kitchen in Dundalk, Ontario. My mother has a picture of that or a similar occasion.

There are many things that I know that I did as a small child, but most of those things may be because others told them about me, rather than me remembering them. This includes memories of relatives who passed away when I was two or three years old. I am not sure what I remember, and what I know to have happened at the time have intertwined.

One of the most peculiar memories I have is throwing away the rain meter that belonged to my maternal grandmother's neighbours. Did not know those people, so I have no idea what spurred me on. Must have been about 4 years old.

Going on a bike trip as a six year old to the next village on my own is also a bit of a strange one. When I got home, my worried mother asked where I had been, and that anything could have happened. My defence: "Don't worry. I can read."
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I'm not sure which came first: Me touching my mother's pregnant belly while she tells me it is my brother inside (most likely i was 15 months old) or me climbing up our wall cabinet to overdose myself of my primary complex medicine (i remember climbing but i don't know when it happened, my mom said i was barely one year old then).

Thread Information