Nuclear Weapons and Your Children

World News AP
    N. Korea Announces It Has Nuclear Weapons

Thursday, February 10, 2005, 0335AM ET US

By SANG-HUN CHOE, Associated Press Writer
    SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea on Thursday announced for the first time that it has nuclear weapons and rejected moves to restart disarmament talks any time soon, saying it needs the armaments as protection against an increasingly hostile United States.

The communist state's pronouncement dramatically raised the stakes in the two-year-old nuclear confrontation and posed a grave challenge to President Bush, who started his second term with a vow to end North Korea's nuclear program through six-nation talks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I won't put in the whole article...since I'm sure everyone has read it or heard it on their news.

I realize I live in a military oriented area where kids might talk more about these things among themselves than they do elsewhere....but this greatly upset my children. They didn't even want to take a trip out west because of it.

I would encourage everyone to talk to their kids about ANY world affairs which they may have heard in passing. Kids worry about more about these things than we think they do. They aren't stupid. Just reading a headline while at the grocery store can stay in their mind. The best way to address their fears is to open up dialogue.

yeah, kids will be scared, more then they already are.

My kids just get MAD because they have friends with parents who are in harms way. At the same time though... they take current events much more seriously than a lot of adults seem to. Maybe it's because it's more of a reality to them.

That's all we need, another nuclear race.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

its not a race, i would say nuke em now, i am for nuclear weapons, and yes i would prolly die in a retaliation, wouldnt care.i

I hope you never become a president because it's just that kind of thinking that terrifies most of us.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

i cant become pesident i wasnt born in the US, and yes it is a good thng, i am a huge warhawk and i bieleve in a government that is strong and i wouldnt put up with anything from anybody, pesonally, i think the US should quit the UN.

I love my country, and to quote Nathan Hale, "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."

I am lucky to live here and have the freedoms that i have.

The US is the UN.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by darkangelism
    pesonally, i think the US should quit the UN.
    You've got plenty of people who feel the same way DA...including myself. These countries want our money and resources to fix their stupid problems and then they show their butts and prove why they were less than to begin with.

While we are providing them with food, medicene and GOOD GAWD how to get clean drinking water....they sit around and try to figure out a way to injure us in block votes, break agreed upon sanctions and embezzle millions of dollars ear marked for helping their own people. WTF?

Sorry this is over a week after the last post, I must have missed this somehow.

Personally, none of these talks about a terrorist flying a plane into my house, detonating a diirty bomb in my city or some country sending a nuke over my way.

I don't see korea attacking the U.S. in a fairly long while just due to the fact that we are such a big power in the world and that if Korea attacked us we would have lots of backing from other countries.

But if worse comes to worse, I'm not afraid to die from any of the things mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomSkater
    Personally, none of these talks about a terrorist flying a plane into my house, detonating a diirty bomb in my city or some country sending a nuke over my way.
    I feel the same way Random....and I live almost on top of a Navy base which would surely be a fine target.

As far as kids discussing it....perhaps they do so more here since many of them do have parents in the military or work on the base. I think actually SEEING warships and having helicopters fly over your house on a daily basis... probably makes the thought of war more real to younger kids. Sn00py is 12 (almost 13) and it does trouble him from time to time.

Interestingly....he and his friends used to love war games and now won't play them anymore.

they should be playing war games, preparing for if it becomes real and they have to fight.

I don't disagree DA......but maybe at 12 years old the perception is different because it's too real of a scenario or too close to home. I've not seen Sn00py post about it....but he does bring it up frequently in discussion. Again, I think it could just be the age group and location.

During the Vietnam war my family lived near Tripler Army Hospital. Us kids could watch helicopters transporting the wounded from Schofield Airbase, and strain ourselves trying to watch them unload.

During the rest of the "Cold War" I lived on Ft. Sill, the Army's Artillery post where we would often feel the concussion of exploding ordinance, and Ft. Hood, where the 1st Cav's HQ is located and where roads had "Tank X-ing" signs to warn motorists of the disasterous possability of "Encounters of the Armored Kind."

The potential for war, nuclear or otherwise, has never frightened me as a child or as an adult. Then, I thought it was all simply entertainment.

Now, while a large rock from outer space, or a small bug for which we have no immunity could wipe us off the planet, humanity in general takes its long term existance far to seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson
    Now, while a large rock from outer space, or a small bug for which we have no immunity could wipe us off the planet, humanity in general takes its long term existance far to seriously.
    This morning, I was reading a Japanese Newspaper http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/index-e.htm in the Science Section (scroll down). I think you have a point there Samson.

I read several international papers.... it keeps me better informed that the rags we have in the US which are poltically based.

I also liked;

73% of single women perfectly happy being unmarried
    by Yomiuri Shimbun

Seventy-three percent of single women of all ages prefer to be single, according to a recent Yomiuri Shimbun survey on attitudes toward marriage, showing an increase of 10%.
    Possibly the greatest threat to humanity?

It's a cool newspaper. I've been reading it for some time. I also liked the
    Diet session extension eyed for postal reform in which I at first thought they were passing a law to put their mailmen on Weight Watchers. LOL!

I just like the names: Yomiuri Shimbun sounds like "Yo'mammy's Shin bone?"

speaking of thread hi-jacking, lmao
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    Well....Nuclear War.....Japan....Japanese Newspaper....there's an accpetable progression here!! HAHA!

Geez Samson....now I'll think about that everytime I read it!

I'm not sure this is actually a newspaper or Yo'mammy's Shinbone's blog. Have you noticed that Yo'mammy writes almost every article?

No. Most articles list the writers name , along with the information as to if this is a staff writer and in which bureau they are located.

Your version is more fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Merika
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    Well....Nuclear War.....Japan....Japanese Newspaper....there's an accpetable progression here!! HAHA!

Geez Samson....now I'll think about that everytime I read it!
    Natural progression off topic tard :roll:

I'm just pointing it out because for once it's not me doing it.
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information