Surgery and Aging Parents

My mom has been having issues for a while now and finally had surgery today. She is 90. As of right now she is doing good. She came through the surgery fine and hopefully will be on the road to recovery soon. She has Uterine Cancer. That was discovered today. They don't know if it has spread or how bad it might be at this point. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway, I will be heading to Oregon on Dec. 26. Looking forward to the trip. Just wanted to tell you all. You are like my family and this has been a weight on me for a while now. I feel like my family is slowly dying around me. My brother passing in August and now my mom not doing great. I thank you all for being there when I needed you most. Keep good thoughts for my mom please. Thank you for your friendship.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Re: Surgery and Aging Parents

Jeeze TK I'm very sorry to hear of this.

Hopefully they got it all and there won't be any need for further surgeries. On the upside though, she sounds like she's doing well so it does give you more time to connect with her which is certainly a good thing.

Please keep us posted as often as you can TK, we're here for you
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Thanks Duke. I will.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Sorry to hear the news. If there is anything I can do just ask. I'm in the area if you need anything. Seriously. I'm 35 miles from Beaverton and about 50 miles from PDX.
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

I think what would be nice here would be a great big
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

To WDH: Thanks. I am renting a car and since my mom will probably be in a rehab hospital for a while I am thinking of staying in her apartment rather then with my brother since he really doesn't have the room. Maybe we can meet up one night for a drink and a chat.

To Duke: Thank you for the hugs. This place does wonders for a person in need.

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    To WDH: Thanks. I am renting a car and since my mom will probably be in a rehab hospital for a while I am thinking of staying in her apartment rather then with my brother since he really doesn't have the room. Maybe we can meet up one night for a drink and a chat.
    Sounds like a plan. It would be great to put a face to the name.
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

I will keep you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers, TK!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whos getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Thanks Luba. I haven't heard how she is doing today. But no news is good news I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    Thanks Luba. I haven't heard how she is doing today. But no news is good news I hope.
    Hang in there TKD. As Duke said it is an opportunity to spend some quality time together during the holiday season. I'm sure you will enjoy the trip to Oregon. It is a beautiful state but too bad you are coming during the wet time.

Wishing you and your mother the best.

Sorry to hear this. Hope she recovers well, and that you will enjoy some quality time with her later this month.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Guess maybe I should give an update here. The visit to Oregon was good. My mom is recovering very well. We had a meeting with a medicaid representative and learned a few new things. Too much to go into here but suffice it to say, my brother and sister-in-law are doing what they can to see my mom gets in a nice assisted living facility. Don't think my mom is too thrilled but she can't live alone any longer. It is amazing the hoops you have to jump through to get there. Bureaucratic red tape sucks. The next big hurdle is moving her to this fictitious place. She has a ton of stuff for living in such a little apartment all these years. Anyway, still struggling with guilty feelings for not being able to be there to help her or my brother more. Today my sister-in-law wrote a note updating us on the situation and she thinks my mom is in a depression. Not good to hear. I hope the red tape bullsh!t ends soon, for my mother's sake. Thanks for letting me vent.

Thread Information