Yup...I live in Oregon

Supposedly this is from Jeff Foxworthy....doesn't matter since the sad part is....many of there are really true. Recent visitors can probably vouch for the weather....

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there, you live in Oregon .

If you've worn shorts, sandals and a parka at the same time, you live in Oregon .

If you measure distance in hours, you live in Oregon .

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you live in Oregon .

If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and back again in the same day, you live in Oregon .

If you install security lights on your house and garage but leave both doors unlocked, you live in Oregon

If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in Central, Southern or Eastern Oregon .

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a 2 layers of clothes or under a raincoat, you live in Oregon .

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow and ice, you live in Oregon .

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction, you live in Oregon .

If you feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash, you live in Oregon .

If you know more than 10 ways to order coffee, you live in Oregon .

If you know more people who own boats than air conditioners, you live in Oregon . (Yep, thats me)

If you stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" signal, you live in Oregon

If you consider that if it has no snow or has not recently erupted, it is not a real mountain, you live in Oregon .

If you can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Dutch Bros, you live in Oregon. (duh!)

If you know the difference between Chinook, Coho and Sockeye salmon, you live in Oregon .

If you know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup , Abiqua, Issaquah , Oregon , Umpqua, Yakima and Willamette, you live in Oregon .

If you consider swimming an indoor sport, you live in Oregon .

If you know that Boring is a city and not just a feeling, you live in Oregon .

If you can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food, you live in Oregon .

If you never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho, you live in Oregon .

If you have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain, you live in Oregon .

If you think people who use umbrellas are either wimps or tourists, you live in Oregon .

If you buy new sunglasses every year, because you cannot find the old ones after such a long time, you live in Oregon .
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

Re: Yup...I live in Oregon

I will have to concur!!! I have never been so wet!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

LOVE those! A lot of those apply to British Columbia as well!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

You know you're Romanian when...

- You grew up on liver paté sandwiches.... and thought that was normal.

- You are standing next to the two largest suitcases at the airport.

- It's "normal" if your wedding has 600 people.

- You don't know half the people at your wedding because your parents invited them.

- You make your own noodles.

- Everything you eat is savored in garlic and onions.

- You try and reuse gift wrappers, gift boxes, and of course aluminum foil. (I don't)

- You arrive one or two hours late to a party - and think its normal.

- All your children have nick names, which sound nowhere close to their real names.

- You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving someone's house.

- You can fit 10 people into a Dacia. (national brand of a 5 seat car)

- You have lace curtains.

- You have lace tablecloths.

- You have rugs covering every inch of your house.

- You have or had rugs on your walls.

- Your mom tells you you're too skinny even though your 30 pounds overweight.

- You ever heard of ciorba de burta'. (tripe sour soup)

- You have curtains hanging across every doorway.

- You know someone that married his girlfriend of 2 months. (my parents married after 3 months)

- Your mom is a doctor and force feeds you medicine for anything ranging from a headache, stomach ache to a stubbed toe.(very true)

- Your house is full of Romanian medicine that is probably illegal here. (very true, again)

- You and your friends have ever been kicked out of a restaurant or recreational park for being too loud or rowdy.

- Your mom recycles plastic cups and paper plates, and sandwich bags by washing them.

- You don't know how to use a dishwasher. (my mom doesn't)

- You have a vinyl tablecloth on your kitchen table.

- Your dad ever butchered a pig or lamb. (several, actually)

- You keep leftover food in your fridge in as many numbers of bowls as possible. (got rid of this habit)

- Your kitchen shelf is full of jam jars, varieties of bowls and plastic utensils (which you've got for free with some household items). - personally, 2 jam jars is the most I own

- Your mom ever chased you with a rolling pin or a broom telling you to stop so that she could hit you.

- Your dad ever told you to smack yourself over the mouth for being disrespectful.

- Your mom washes your clothing at 40.

- You don't use measuring cups when cooking.

- You can only travel if there are 5 persons at least to see you off or receive you whether you are traveling by bus, train or plane.

- You only make long distance calls after 11 p.m.

- If you don't live at home, when your parents call, they ask if you've eaten, even if it's midnight. (soooo true)

- When your parents meet strangers and talk for a few minutes, you discover you're talking to a distant cousin.

- Your parents don't realize phone connections to foreign countries have improved in the last two decades, and still scream at the top of their lungs when making foreign calls.

- You have mastered the art of bargaining in grocery shopping.

- You walk out of the grocery store with no less then two packed shopping carts weekly.

- Your parents brew their own wine and ţuică.

- Despite being in Canada, your parents answer the phone saying "allo?"

- You say "La Mulţi Ani" for every holiday.

- You sat down to watch Borat and realized it was actually filmed in a ghetto Romanian village and were too embarrassed to tell your friends it wasn't really Kazakhstan.

- You get in a fight with your parents and they threaten to kick you out numerous times but they never really do.

- You wear Puma clothing every other day.
    the universe is made out of stories, not atoms

of course, those are only stereotypes, but hilarious, as there is a bit of truth in this...
    the universe is made out of stories, not atoms

I saw a guest read this. So, Let me add a few things about the Dutch. Most of these are borrowed from Wiki:

- Children tend to answer the phone with their full name (first + surname) to avoid being mistaken for their parents. (Parents however often bother with only one of two).

- The Dutch do not use titles when they talk to people. In writing, you can state a title, but this is only done in official letters.

- It is polite to ask where to sit. (From a generally rude people, this may surprise foreigners).

- The cookie jar! When it is on the table, you don't have to ask for one. Just take it.

- On the beach and on the terraces along it, the Dutch are often clothed as sparsely as possible. (And as the Dutch are getting quite obese 'Not a handsome sight' in general). Since we have only like 5 sq. kilometres of beach, expect a population density of 250,000 people / sq. kilometre on the beach on a sunny day, and traffic jams of 50 or more kilometres to the beaches. (We are herd animals)

- Compared to most cultures, the Dutch are reserved in public and do not often touch each other or display anger or extreme exuberance.

- The Dutch generally avoid superlatives. Compliments are offered sparingly, and to say that something is ‘not bad’ is to praise it.

- The Dutch generally call in advance to make appointments with friends. It is not very common to just drop by. (We tend to think of time as a precious commodity, and thus unexpected things mess up our schedules)

- The crazy sign is made by tapping the centre of your forehead with your index finger. This gesture is considered rude.
    -- To make things more complex, the sign indicating someone is smart or intelligent is made by tapping the area around temporal bone (just above the ear) with the index finger.
    ---To make things even more complex, the crazy sign can also made by twisting your index finger around the temporal bone. However, there is a slight distinction: This particular gesture indicates insanity, whereas tapping the forehead usually indicates stupidity.

- Winking at strangers will generally be perceived as a sexual advance and is unlikely to be appreciated. (Incidentally what the English call a black eye, we call "een blauw oog" ('a blue eye'))

- Food does not play a major role in hospitality. (In home settings, the Dutch consider it a long supper if it takes more than 15 minutes of eating together, but not so in rural areas. This is no joke.)

- It is polite to offer to help out with the dishes or cleaning the table. Out of the same politeness, the host will usually decline the offer.

- The Dutch value privacy and seldom start an interaction with strangers, no matter where they are from, unless they have an urgent need to do so. (However, when you actually start speaking they will try and help you out, even if they have to try and do it in English, German or French).

- It is very rare you can see into a house, even from the streets. Curtains will be obstructing views. It is also considered very rude to have a peek.

- Asking personal questions is often not smart, as the Dutch are private and feel uncomfortable answering questions they deem too personal. These problems can be avoided at least partially by acknowledging in advance that a question is rude or intrusive. One can ask permission to ask the question anyway if there is real need. This leaves the other person the opportunity to refuse to answer. (This also pertains to money issues)

- The Dutch don't have a problem with saying No directly to someone's face. This is not considered impolite, but simply honest. (We are straightforward and to the point. We tend to compensate that by having so many meetings at work, that we lose the time we could have spent productively with inane decision making processes)

- Trying to address the Dutch in their native language may result in a reply in English. (When the Dutch pick up an English accent, they will reply in English; same with the Frisian minority vs. the Dutch)

- In Dutch, it is possible to politely ask for something without saying the equivalent of "please" (the phrase Mag ik ...., which stands for May I .... is commonly used instead of 'please', rather than as an addition), so Dutch people speaking English often will not say "please" when asking for something in English either. This may be misinterpreted by native speakers of English as a rudeness, but is rarely intended that way. (That is why a lot of people think I am somewhat rude)

- The Dutch take punctuality for business meetings seriously and expect others will do likewise; it is wise to call with an explanation if you are delayed for more than five minutes. (Good thing these meetings are not with Romanian party goers )

- In the Netherlands, commitments are taken seriously. Do not promise anything that cannot be delivered. A spoken agreement with others present has the same worth as a signed contract even from a legal viewpoint. (and this is legally enforced!)

- It is not considered deviant to smile or show signs of mirth on the street, but outright laughter is rare. (Probably a result of Calvinism)

- Similarly, public displays of grief are considered bad form. (Calvinism again)

- We do not have many 'traditional' Dutch dishes. A good 'Dutch' restaurant is hard to find, pretty much anywhere in the world.

- Work: The Dutch are leaders in female part-time working (about 80% of women work part-time); child care in general is next to unaffordable (even for 1 child), and as a consequence, many mothers choose to stay at home until her youngest child is older, or chooses work which allows for flexible hours.

- There are still people using wooden shoes, but these are either farmers or people from more traditional places. Not common at all!

- The Dutch value personal space and tend to avoid physical contact even among friends. When standing in a group, or when talking to one another, they tend to keep a rather large distance.

- coffeeshops don't sell coffee.

- Weed is not legal. Possession of small quantities of weed is a non-prosecuted offense (prosecution halted since 1971, by decree, if memory serves). Most Dutch don't know this either.

- People are allowed to possess 3 weed plants per address.

- There are more bicycles in the Netherlands than there are people. Especially amongst students in the cities, a bike is the preferred mode of transportation, often even quicker than cars would be. And without the parking problem! Parking is expensive especially in the bigger cities.

- All appliances for the night are switched on at 11.01 PM. Dish washer, washing machine (if sufficiently far away from bedrooms), you name it.
    Last edited by Vautrin; 04-08-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

WDH--please let me find out what it is like in Oregon--I should be ther in a week or so and please remember that I'm from Canada going the long way to get there via Florida form Ottawa Can.

Thread Information