Work and Vacations

What do you do to get back into the swing of things at work after a few days vacation? I had from December 24 until January 2 off with a short 4 day trip to Oregon in there and always have a hard time returning to work and being productive after a long vacation. I wish I was anywhere but here right now.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Re: Work and Vacations

Hanging out on your favorite forum all day is one way to deal with it.

It depends on the vacation....

There is always the obligatory 2 to 4 hours of catching up on and responding to emails. Then the obligatory vacation story telling that is good for a couple hours at least. So the first day back was easy!

Coming back from some place tropical that had a swim up bar....I change my desktop background to photo's of the recent scenery. I make sure my stock of adult beverages at home is up to stuff, and I come to work the next day in shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals...even tho' it's totally against the "dress code". Yeah...I'm still on vacation....so deal with it. (seriously!)

A fishing, boating, camping vacation...I'm glad to be back to work so I can rest. Too much sun, too much food, too little sleep, probably too much adult beverages again , and too much driving. I'm usually exhausted when I get back because I always play too hard....if there is such a thing.

I usually don't take a week or more off unless I'm doing the above. I had three days off for new years and I'd rather be anywhere than here so I'm not sure what that says about me.

It always takes me a couple...three days to get back into it and being "productive". You're not alone.
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

Ya, I hung out on here more than I should have while at work but with my new toy I don't have to worry about the IT Nazis checking up on what I am doing on the internet. I just didn't want to be there and I know I have a ton of work to do but day dreaming of better places and messing on the internet was just too enticing.

The swim up pool bar sounds like fun ...
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I have had to work partly through the Christmas-New Year period because work had to be done ahead of a major marketing presentation that we will be showing on the cruise next week. Consequently, there is no difficult transition from holiday back to work.

However, I am jealous of quality time spent with family when on vacation, and am usually not contactable during certain times during summer or, autumn. That said, if there is urgency in keeping contact with work, then I will take a BGAN satellite terminal with my laptop.

Floxx thinks this is the ultimate cool. She will sit onboard ship or at a cafe with her laptop and my 'terminal connected while sipping a chilled OJ and looking pretty.

Except this last Christmas I am glad to be back to work. These holidays stretch on far too long

I don't really get time off from work, so it's hard to say. If I manage to get three days off in a row, I get so excited lol. And I never want to come back to work after the weekends anyway. Especially when there's a box of movies that need to be put out that I started on Saturday, two other people have had chances to work on getting them out, and yet they still sit here for me to do. I'm not doing it.

i will be going back to work from a 9 day vacation from work on monday and not lookig forward to it at all. i didn't do much for my vacation other then stay at home ad spend it with family but that aloe is super relaxing and i enjoy that. back to the grind on monday and dreading it already and we're only friday.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    i will be going back to work from a 9 day vacation from work on monday and not lookig forward to it at all. i didn't do much for my vacation other then stay at home ad spend it with family but that aloe is super relaxing and i enjoy that. back to the grind on monday and dreading it already and we're only friday.
    Here's hoping the weekend goes really s-l-o-w-l-y for you, Star!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I guess I've been behaving better than I thought as Duke hasn't carted me off to the bus depot yet! Having a Great time!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

His strength is on the decline. Or he is less able to resist your granddaughter's screams and or threats.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    His strength is on the decline. Or he is less able to resist your granddaughter's screams and or threats.

It shows the strength of one's sons when they can put up with me for a week!

And a relative position of weakness when his daughter can threaten him to date guys just like him :P.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Thread Information