Scientology Beliefs

I was reading up a bit on Scientology and the beliefs associated with it and it really sounds like a decent Religion, at least to me. I can buy the belief that we are immortal but trapped on Earth for a short period of time in a human vessel just as much as I can believe God created man in his image; perhaps even more so.

Do you share any of Scientology beliefs or do you think the whole Religion is as nuts as Tom Cruise is?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Scientology Beliefs

I think the people who are in control of Scientology are nuts. There have been some bizarre events that have happened due to the Church or should I say a "certain Church" of Scientology.

It also seems to be a profiteering Religion. Sure, most Religions seem that way, but I can't remember a time where I *had* to put money in a collection plate for a sermon. In Scientology, you pay or you don't get any type of "Spiritual Healing."

L. Ron Hubbard was a Sci-Fi writer whose writings are a guide for Scientology. I believe he was even caught saying something to the affect of how much money he could gain by inventing a new Religion. Even so, I don't think it's any crazier than any other Religion, at least the concept of it.

As crazy as this sounds, I believe the Saints in other Religions would be locked up in loony bins in today's world and I have often wondered how Science Fiction writers come up with their stories. It does seem that a lot of Science Fiction has come to surface in our technical future.

Do you think Scientology is any worse than any other of today's organized religions?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Do you share any of Scientology beliefs or do you think the whole Religion is as nuts as Tom Cruise is?
    I don't see Tom Cruise is anything but a fine actor, so his beliefs in Scientology bear no conflict as to how I view him, and showbiz gossip doesn't really interest me at all about his shenannigans.

As for Scientology I know nothing, but have no real interest in it or any other religion as I follow my own beliefs being Catholic.

I don't know anything about Scientology and it would be interesting to learn more about it, just for curiosity's sake.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I've been thinking about this for awhile before I responded again. In my opinion, I think depending on what church someone goes to, any religion can seem like a cult. Scientology has gotten a lot of bad press and seems a little bit like a cult to me. I'm not near rich enough to test out this religion in real time to make an informed judgment, really.

There is a South Park episode that explains what Scientology followers really believe in a somewhat humorous way (depending on what type of humor you have.) Even though South Park is a little dark in humor, that specific episode does a great job on illustrating the basic beliefs of this particular religion.

I won't link the episode here as I don't think it would be appropriate for this part of the site, although that episode doesn't have anything too disgusting in it. Tom Cruise is of course made fun of in this episode, but he's been the media's punching bag for quite some time now.

There are a lot of famous Scientology followers, like my favorite, John Travolta. So no, like with any religion, you have your radical believers as well as your casual ones that try not to punch people's throats with their beliefs. I think Tom Cruise just got overly excited while talking about his new bride with Oprah. It was obnoxiously spun out of context for ratings, that's just my personal opinion anyway.

Some of what Tom Cruise says about pharmaceuticals and Psychology regarding mental health recovery, I tend to agree with. Of course not all of what he says I agree with. I've been researching this religion for quite a few years just out of curiosity. It's too bad they won't give me a grant to enter their church because I would honestly try it out to see if it fit.

Thread Information