Punishing Children with Hot Sauce

I watched a "Dr. Phil" show a while back where a woman was punishing her child by pouring hot sauce in his mouth followed by a cold shower, for lying. This was taped by her daughter while the Mother was yelling at the boy child whom she adopted from Russia. It was difficult to watch not only for me, but the people in the audience.

Since then, there has been an update. There has been all kinds of fall-out about this with not only the Media but Child Protective services. She is getting help from Dr. Phil and his people and that is the only reason she still has the child/children.

Apparently, on the new update I learned that a lot of people punish children with hot sauce. It's likened to 'washing one's mouth with soap' in the days gone by.

What do you think about this punishment?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Punishing Children with Hot Sauce

IF these children can come up with any punishment for their parents, which these "parents" will have to bear as well, then it may have some merit: how about tying the parents up and screaming in their ears for 24 hours. I am sure such a punishment will make these "parents" feel all happy and gooey inside.

Idiotic punishment. Those who practice such a thing should not have children.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I have heard of moms using it to stop their kids from sucking their thumb but not as a punishment. I never thought it was a good way for the thumb sucking either. I don't have a problem with the soap idea. My dad did it to me once and I never did that thing that caused it again.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I've heard of kids being punished this way and of course it is abusive. The times I've heard of it, it has usually been accompanied by emotional abuse, making fun of the child's reaction. I think it may be worse than soap, not that I condone soap, but soap you can rinse out of your mouth pretty quickly, as long as you aren't made to swallow it. The effects of hot sauce are pretty terrifying if you aren't used to it and of course most kids don't like spicy foods. I think there are better ways to get a child to behave, the first and foremost being having a loving and respectful relationship with the child.

Quote Originally Posted by sapphirec View Post
    I've heard of kids being punished this way and of course it is abusive. The times I've heard of it, it has usually been accompanied by emotional abuse, making fun of the child's reaction. I think it may be worse than soap, not that I condone soap, but soap you can rinse out of your mouth pretty quickly, as long as you aren't made to swallow it. The effects of hot sauce are pretty terrifying if you aren't used to it and of course most kids don't like spicy foods. I think there are better ways to get a child to behave, the first and foremost being having a loving and respectful relationship with the child.
    I agree.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Some people are against this approach, and many are for it. Some believe that this is appropriate discipline, and some believe it is unreasonable and excessive.

This is NOT discipline. This is a painful representation of our gross inability to handle our own feelings in the face of our children’s ways of being.

Staff Note:

Unfortunately, new members at Lifesupporters.com are no longer permitted to link offsite for any reason. This restriction only applies to new members simply because many register with the intent of ONLY attaining free advertising, self promotion and/or backlinks.

Once you've reached 10 legitimate forum posts, your linking restrictions will be lifted and you will be able to link anywhere offsite, within reason of course.

Please refer to our FAQ paying particular attention to the rules governing new membership at Lifesupporters.com and offsite linking.

Thanks

this kind of "punishment" disgusts me. i heard of the hot sauce for thumb sucking too and never agreed with that either. i think the parents should be forced to swallow a whole bottle of hot sauce as punishment for doing that to their child. i'm sure they'd laugh then wouldn't they. ludicrous. this isn't punishing a child; it's absolute abuse. i agree with vautrin. these people shouldn't be able to be parents.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

Thread Information