Thread: pet or not ?

pet or not ?

for a while i have been thinking about getting myself a pet.. but i am finding it hard to decide on one. the only pets i've ever had are gold fish and they died in a month . i like dogs.. i know they are a big responsibility. so am in two minds.. should i get one or not.. how do i take care of them.. in my lifestyle i will be at work a lot and the pet will be home alone, so is it advisable or not, etc..

Re: pet or not ?

Have you ever thought of getting something a bit more exotic like an Iguana? I had a friend who potty trained his Iquana to crap in a litter box and once it learned that, he let it roam around the house.

It got to about 6 or 7 feet long (mostly tail of course) and was very social. His would walk right up to you and stare at you with his mouth slightly open until you put your finger in his mouth. Then he'd massage the bottom of your finger with his tongue; presumably removing the salt from your skin.

Anyway, he was pretty cool because he was bred as a social pet from the time he was very small so he was very used to having people around.

Birds may also be a good idea however some birds are noisier than others and will drive you mad after a while.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

My Friend, there can be no better pet than a Cockatiel

They are a bird that are hardy, friendly and just interact so much with their owners that it isnt funny. Now one thing....not just any old cockatiel, you need to buy a MALE and be sure its a HAND RAISED one. Out here a Cockatiel sells for $35, but hand raised is $175.

I know its expensive but the difference is that within a hour or two of being at home, he will sit on your shoulder happily cuddling you, probably kissing and nibbling your ear. Within a few days he will mimic your telephone, the microwave buttons and anything else he hears. My sons bird is so good at mimicking the mobile phone that we called him OPTUS The amount of times ive dashed in to answer the phone, only to find its the bird LOL Im not talking a simple ring tone, im talking a 20 seconds full on tone with changes, pitches, the whole works.

They are so much fun, they wont get too bored when you arent at home, they only need a walk around the lounge room, instead of outside and down the street and their "poops" arent too big or unpleasent to pickup.

Just my thoughts, but check it out as it is a very good option.

Bye
    Last edited by Snooks; 04-06-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Depending on where you live a cat might also be a nice idea. They can and often will provide a lot of cuddles, snuggles and affection. A bit less suitable if you are in an apartment building, because then you'll basically have to keep them in at all times. But they can look after themselves.

Dogs are pretty good too, but they are not as independent as cats, and you will have to find the time to take them for walks. Which can be a bit difficult when you have a hectic lifestyle, but in your current situation that could also be a bit of a bonus: you go out and walk the dog, which may also take your mind of matters.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

i have been reading about house training dogs and stuff.. it does seem like a lot of work.. kinda like having a kid i guess.. the more i think about getting a pet, the more nervous i get about raising it. and i am a control freak who doesn't like the house dirty or things being spilled. so maybe a pet could mold my character a bit.. don't know.. but it will be a huge change..

thanks for your input guys. i would like a dog preferably for the companionship aspect. but people say to go with birds as the first pet..

A cat is my vote.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

You can certainly ignore birds more because they don't really care whether you're there or not; provided their fed of course. This also depends on the type of bird as well. Whatever you do, do not get a parrot as a first bird because they NEED social interaction.

Dog's are a lot more work because there very social animals and need your companionship as much as you need theirs.

Whatever pet you decide on, I'd suggest reading up about its needs either online or in a library and make sure what they need fits your lifestyle.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

i have decided on getting a dog.. i love labs but i would prefer a small, easy to manage one without much hair ! pugs are cute. i welcome suggestions.

Dachshunds are very nice dogs. Very loving and small with short hair. I had one as a kid. I loved him. I prefer big dogs however but for a smaller breed that is easy to take care of that is my pick. A Beagle would be a second choice but I think they tend to be a bit hyper. Good luck in your choice of pet.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

hmmm.. my cousins had a dachshund .. his name was rover lived a long life.. nice flappy ears too.. thanks for the choices tkdlady

I love Daschounds...or as we called them, Sausage Dogs

I havent personally owned one so I dont know that much about the breed, but i believe they make good house dogs, are quite smart, so not too hard to train and if im not mistaken, they can be very protective. This means they can be a bit snappy with strangers.

Let us know how you get on and be sure to post a photo. Are you having a name guessing competition or something?? If its a boy....i vote we call him Arnold

You are correct on the dog attitude for Dachshunds. Mine didn't snap but he was protective. I loved him. Miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    You are correct on the dog attitude for Dachshunds. Mine didn't snap but he was protective. I loved him. Miss him.
    I dont think anything hurts as much as losing a Dog When i lost my Dog Colonel, he was 14. We had worked together in Law Enforcement for 10 years. I got him as a puppy and he retired at 11 years old.

Ive never owned another dog since and that was 18 years ago.

If you have a photo of your little fellah, i would love to see it Please post one if you can

I will see if I can find one. Not sure I have any. My mom has those but I will check. I should be getting her photo albums one of these days so for sure then. His name was Dutch "AKC name - Dutch Boy". Loved him. Sorry for your loss. A police dog must have been great to have.

Not actually a Police Dog - We were Special Constables, Security Officers attached to the Police Department. Special Constables have the same powers of arrest, but within a specified area. We were responsible for a very large industrial estate and your powers are only valid within the specified boundaries.

He was great....a loving pet at home playing with the kids, at work, a great companion, a fearless tracker with amazing tracking abilities and after years of training .......do you know his only downfall? I kid you not.....a very great fear of empty coke cans. We never found out why (LOL).

Working 12hr shifts, 5-6 nights per week for 10 years.......you become very attached. He saved me from many dangerous situations without ever fearing for his health....I think you can see i worshipped the ground he walked on.

When Colonel died, Bessie, the bitch (for my wife at home) that we got at the same time but she was a month older.......she pined away and died 6 weeks later.

I was always scared of comparing a new dog to Colonel, hence i never got another one. Its only the past few years ive been thinking about it but now that i rent a house, many landlords wont allow it.

Perhaps in time to come

i will put a picture up when i get one. i am thinking of going for a boy, thinking of calling him barney .. or bam bam

Ha Ha, I like those names. You go girl!

Now Bam Bam sounds really cool

I picture him as a very cheeky, cudly little dog..... Bam Bam suits perfectly.

Thread Information