Osama bin Laden dead, body in the US

After nearly a decade of hunting for bin Laden, the US attacked a compound just outside Islamabad and after a firefight, secured the dead body of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

In a televised address not minutes ago, President Barack Obama stated that the US will continue to work with their allies to ensure the security of us all both home and abroad.

So what are your thoughts? Is this the beginning of the end for Al-Qaeda and their affiliates or is this just the spark that will fan an even larger flame?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Osama bin Laden dead, body in the US

They killed a man at a cost of more than US$1 trillion dollar. Two trillion? And it won't change a thing. Others will take his place. If not Al-Qaeda, a different network.

If however, that money was used wisely, to invest in the countries that breed terrorism (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia (half the terrorists involved in 9/11 are from that country, but hey, that is a US ally, so we don't do a thing about it!), terrorism would be far less of a problem than it is nowadays.

I really feel US foreign policy is partly responsible for the attraction terrorism has to many people, and certainly played its part in the attacks of 9/11. Terrorism is a response of the powerless against perceived injustices. But it is easier to convince people to become terrorists if:
    a) they are poor, their lives are miserable. People in the Western world, have little to no idea how miserable these people's lives are, and how much damage their sometimes idiotic policies do to them. Propping up dubious regimes, is in general something that is NOT appreciated by local populations.
    b) they themselves are victims of state terrorism (like the killing and maiming of civilians; way too common in Aghanistan and Iraq). So called collateral damage. It is funny how people object to becoming collateral damage themselves, hey?)
    c) are made out to be terrorists. Public discourse in the Netherlands has been extremely hostile to islam, and that has definitely played a part in some muslims radicalizing, and a few acts of targeted terrorism.

Terrorism is not a rational response to the ills in people's lives. But they are driven to it, if they don't see another way to address those ills. All people basically want, is decent lives. As long as we politically refuse to address that, terrorism will exist, and likely increase in the future.

I suppose it is good news to the relatively few people who are related to the attacks of 9/11. I'd say, worse than a Pyrrhic victory.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Regardless of the costs, errors and issues along the way, I sincerely hope this helps bring some peace or closure to those who lost loved ones in 9-11.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Well they got him and i do think the world is a litle bit safer, if only for a short while.

I cant say im happy, or delighted....it is another person that has died because idiots all the world over, cannot live in peace. Dosent matter if you are christian, muslim or alien, there is no excuse o kill each other. Just disgree, grow up and move on. Believe what you believe and respect the others right to do so.

Someone will take his place......

And just to nit pick a little....The body is not in the US, Osama's body was buried at sea from what I have read. Islamic custom says the body must buried within 24hrs of death.

Is the world safer? Maybe a little, but not much. As Snooks said there are more whack jobs standing in line to take his place. However, I'm going to guess after all of these years, there is probably a decent understanding of the network of terrorism over there and I doubt we will just fold up our tent and go home.

And I'll just leave it at that.....
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

According to more News last night, there is more heightened awareness for retaliation.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

The irony is that we spend more money on terrorism watch than actually preventing terrorism gaining a hold of people.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    The irony is that we spend more money on terrorism watch than actually preventing terrorism gaining a hold of people.
    So true! Food for thought, for sure!

That would be a good idea for a new thread and talking about ways of preventing terrorism gaining hold of people.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I heard on the news that his terrorist organization isn't what it was in 2001. They're not as strong even before his killing.

I heard that the threat we face now is home grown wanna be terrorists that have converted to the radical Muslim beliefs that Bin Laden had.

Ten years sure does make a difference. Our own American citizens has started to think that maybe we are a greedy society that needed punishment for our capitalistic ways.

I have to admit, there has been a 'Religious' change since 9/11. Our President, Obama, has changed our Religious Freedoms. We are no longer a Christian Nation. He has been seen on National Television praying with Muslims in the White House.

The die hard Christian fanatics of the United States have started to believe their faith of Christianity is under attack. I am more scared that we ourselves will begin turning on each other than I am of the radical Muslim attacks out of retaliation.

My thoughts on all of this. I thought it was horrible that Americans cheered on National Television about the death of anyone. We did not learn anything from the tragedy of 9/11 other than, we can be just as vicious.

Good job America!

And everything like this, the fighting between religions, the people committing mass murder.......its just one more of the many reasons that make me disbelieve the bible and all teachings.

A true God would not allow the suffering that many innocent children and babies have endured.

I often wondered if Mahat Ma Gandhi or the Dali Lam (sic) died, at the Pearly Gates, would a true God turn them away because they were not Christians?......a true God would accept them because they were such wonderful people, irregardless of what religion.

Off topic but i felt it warranted being stated.

Snooks, that is a question that reared itself in late medieval Christianity as well (about Gandhi and the Dalai Lama), with regards to Hindus and the like (newly discovered exotic people). Christian thinkers came up with the concept of "Unbelieving Believer" if memory serves, designating that they'd live their lives in accordance with Christian principles, and therefore shared in God's Grace etc.

With regards to the reaction of some Americans to the news, celebrating the death of Osama, there is really not much difference to the way some of the so called "extremist countries" respond to similar news about the West. We're, sadly, to a large extent still barbarians. Our refusal to acknowledge this is indeed a real tragedy, and it will come back and haunt us.

Thread Information