I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

One om my favourite books that i used to read often was a book by a lady named Hannah Green. It's a novel, but sort of based upon her real life and as such, i believe this resulted in her use of a pen name.

It revolves around a young lady whose name i cant remember, but she has mental issues and conjures up a whole new world in her mind, to compensate for the pain she is feeling on earth due to a tumour and the stigma attached to the illness.

The imaginary world was called "Yr", which i always chose to pronounce as "Ear" for some reason.

Its now been 25 years since i last read it......the first 2-3 times i read it i could never quite figure it out. It seemed to jump and hop, i just couldnt quite understand it.

On the last occasion i remember reading it, everything just went "Bing" and fell into place. For some reason i understood it....i was so happy For some reason i was determined to understand this book.

I just wondered if anyone else has seen it, read it or had even heard of it. It was a paperback book, not overly big and i dont even know if the author is famous.

Just talking about it now has made me want to read it again so much, that im off to ebay to look for any available copies.

Re: I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

Well Lucky Me

I just purchased a brand new copy for $14 or so, including postage. Its an updated cover and has a new foreward by the author so im dying to get it.

I have never read it. I have heard of it. Now you have me wanting to read it too. Might have to look for it myself.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Its an odd book, the imaginary world is where she escapes to but in the end, its taking over.....its a great book and im hoping that when i read it this time that its every bit as good as the first time. With my being older and possibly wiser, im thinking it should be

It sounds like a book I would like to read. I had an imaginary world, too, as a child but it didn't take me over. The positive thing I took from mine is that I developed a nice imagination.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Thread Information