Casey Anthony Not Guilty!

Casey Anthony Not Guilty of Murder in Caylee's Death - ABC News

Woo-Hoo!

Who was surprised about this verdict?

Re: Casey Anthony Not Guilty!

Not surprised but disappointed. She is guilty of manslaughter at least. If I were those jurors I would go into hiding for a while.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

The Prosecution simply did not have enough evidence to make the leap from circumstantial to proof beyond a reasonable doubt. There is also speculation that the jury may have not sided with the prosecution because of the animated and slightly ignorant manner of his demeanor in court.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I wasn't surprised either. When the defense team started labeling Casey Anthony as a sexual abuse survivor, I figured they would jump to the crazy cop-out defense anyway. I think this was completely botched by the fact that Caylee did not have the greatest autopsy in the world and no real cause of death was ever discovered. I really doubted Casey Anthony would ever get the death penalty anyway, because it seems our judicial system does this very rarely anymore.

The defense team did an excellent job at presenting several different scenarios that could have happened to Caylee and with no real hard evidence, they created reasonable doubt in the jurors eyes. It looked great on paper and the Anthony family has made 2 million dollars off of this catastrophe so far. I'm sure there is a Lifetime Movie and a book to come out shortly so they can keep profiting off of their family member being murdered. They're going to have to, everyone knows them now and vigilante justice started way back when the search party started for Caylee.

I've been following this case since the very beginning. When the trial started, I watched it on Court TV. I was picking it up everywhere, from doctor's offices all the way to the post office. The verdict was announced while I was mailing packages at the post office and everyone in the office started yelling, crying and cursing about how messed up the verdict was. They were really surprised that Casey Anthony did not get the death sentence and even more surprised that she is walking out of prison free and clear because of her time already served. I think she is free by this Thursday.

I can't comment on the merits of the case. What worries me is:
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRose View Post
    The defense team did an excellent job at presenting several different scenarios that could have happened to Caylee and with no real hard evidence, they created reasonable doubt in the jurors eyes. It looked great on paper and the Anthony family has made 2 million dollars off of this catastrophe so far. I'm sure there is a Lifetime Movie and a book to come out shortly so they can keep profiting off of their family member being murdered.
    1. Profiting from the death of a relative. This is morally reprehensible.
    2. The doubt of the circumstances in which Caylee died. Technically, it seems the question that has been answered in the court is that it does not seem certain how it happened, but that they cannot rule out that Casey was responsible for what happened either. Doubt is sufficient to get a not guilty verdict, but that does not establish innocence either.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

What is really scary is, Casey Anthony told or wrote letters to cellmates that she is thinking of having another baby or even might adopt.

I really think she is guilty, I think even her parents believe this as well. They worded their public statement very carefully after the verdict was announced. You can hear the grandmother, in the initial police call to report Caylee missing, that she suspected Casey of doing something to her granddaughter.

In another released bit of information, the grandmother was seeking therapy about what to do with Casey Anthony. Even her therapist agreed she should adopt Caylee. I think there is definitely some sort of a mental defect in Casey, but I don't think she should've not only gotten the not guilty verdict, but to walk out free and clear is just insanity.

The sentencing is at 9 am this morning. They said she could face up to 4 years in prison for lying to police. We'll see then if she gets to walk out. If she does walk, I'm sure there's going to be another public uproar. They're suppose to release Casey in a secret location with police protection. I have a feeling her neighbors are going to wait up for her.

What is really scary is, Casey Anthony told or wrote letters to cellmates that she is thinking of having another baby or even might adopt.
    One would assume that the adoption bit would be at least legally impossible, after what happened with Caylee.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    One would assume that the adoption bit would be at least legally impossible, after what happened with Caylee.
    I don't know. She is seeking to adopt a baby from Ireland. With the money she's gaining from Caylee's death, you never know who will sell their baby to her.

6 days and she walks out free and clear. She can not be tried for Caylee again, even if they find more evidence later.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    She was found not guilty so nothing can befall her as a result of that trial. The only thing that she can ever be held accountable for from this day forward is that she has interfered with the legal process on numerous occasions. You'd probably never see her called as a witness in a trial because it's already been proven beyond reasonable doubt that she lies to the police.

She is free to have children, she is free to adopt (providing she can demonstrate a safe, child friendly environment) and most of all, she's free to kill again.

...and in case you're wondering, I thought OJ was guilty too.

I didn't watch the entire trial but here in Canada it was literally impossible to not catch at least some of it. I think the defense sucked but what's more important, the prosecutions sucked more, could not provide exact cause of death nor could they link the death to Casey Anthony.

You have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony killed her child or was negligent in a manner that lead to her child's death. The prosecution could never make the leap from circumstantial to proof beyond a reason of doubt and we all know the outcome.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Wait, the child had been missing for a month before anyone even bothered to notify the authorities, and this is NOT held against future prospective adoptive parents?

Even if she lied, and there is sufficient doubt about the statements that is what her own testimony amounts to.

That's irrelevant, she was found not guilty so even if her daughter was missing a year it still does not matter.

You can only be tried once for a crime. If you are not found guilty then it can possibly follow you around your entire life, not guilty means it cannot.
    My Daughter Rules!

It is relevant. Even without a conviction, for murder, aggravated child abuse or manslaughter (charges for which she was acquitted), she has not been pronounced innocent on the matter I raised. Even if it is not a crime to not report a child missing, you can hardly argue that not reporting a child is missing could ever be in the best interest of the child. Hence, people like her should be barred from becoming adoptive parents.

If we don't even bother looking after the child's best interests, we may as well deregulate adoption completely.
    Last edited by Vautrin; 07-08-2011 at 12:44 PM.

That is not the way it works at all. You are either convicted in which case it becomes part of your criminal record, or not convicted.

She was not declared innocent which I see your point but that is only semantics.

You're basing your opinion on emotion which the law does not do. While I agree with virtually everything you said, the law does not make the distinction on a moral issue.

Simply put, it becomes a matter of record if found guilty only.
    My Daughter Rules!

One would hope that when adoption agencies do their checks, they do just a bit more than checking if people have criminal records. Make certain that the prospective parents is indeed someone who has the qualities to succeed as a parent. In the Netherlands, for instance if you are mentally retarded you cannot adopt. Retardation is not a crime.

Screaming on the top of your lungs at home may be perfectly legal too, but I would hardly think that it would be a healthy environment for an adopted child to grow up in if your "parent" did that.
    There are tons of behaviours that are strictly speaking not illegal, but not necessarily in agreement with the child's best interests.

Mind you, we had a lovely scandal in the Netherlands when a 12-year old girl gave birth to a daughter. Which was fathered by ... her father. Who had been convicted of sexual offences against minors years before, and he still managed to get custody of his daughter, when he divorced the mother of this 12-year old. So idiocy happens all over the world.

I'm very sure that adoption agencies perform checks but what those checks are I cannot say? I'm pretty confident that anyone has access to finding criminal records but I'm unsure on whether or not you can actually find out what is contained within a criminal record?

I would think you can find out what is contained in the record but again, I don't know for sure?
    My Daughter Rules!

I thought OJ did it too. Then the Brown family turned around and sued him for wrongful death. The Goldman family was in on that lawsuit too. The families won their case against OJ Simpson. I thought that was a wrong call because acquitted means he didn't do it. In his case, justice was served via paycheck.

Casey Anthony must pay $4,000 for the crimes she committed (lying to police.) The company that launched the search party for Caylee is also suing Casey Anthony. Zanny the Nanny is going to jump in as well and sue Casey Anthony for wrongly accusing her of fleeing with the child. (The Zanny the Nanny lie cost that woman her job and reputation.)

Justice via paycheck is continuing on. I heard that this case was as popular as OJ Simpson's. The popularity was fueled by the Nancy Grace Show, giving updates every 5 minutes. I'm actually sick of all the media covering this case now. Latest update: Casey Anthony declined a video tape conversation with her Mother. Woo! The constant speculations of how Casey acted during trial versus now, etc etc. I'm willing to bet the media will try to follow Casey's caravan during her release. *Sigh*

I say, on to the next family that wanted to party instead of raising their children!

She's already been offered $1 million for a TV interview so I'm willing to bet the media circus will only continue. Not only is that idiot Nancy Grace infatuated with this case but Dr. Drew seems to be fixated on this as well.

I never thought I'd see a case that made me as sick as OJ's did, clearly I was wrong.
    Last edited by Duke; 07-09-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    My Daughter Rules!

Just sue her until she is bankrupt. Should be easy for someone like Zanny, considering she should not have been a party in this case at all, let alone have her life ruined by this piece of art.

She'll profit from this case, there's little doubt about that. Already the marriage proposals are coming in as well as offers from around the country to help her out.
    My Daughter Rules!

Those proposals are undoubtedly partly informed by the prospect of cash through fame.

I saw an item on the News last night that it would be a good idea for her to get plastic surgery so she wouldn't be so easily recognizable.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Thread Information