Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1919

If you were around in 1919 and came upon the following poster...

1919.jpg

I mean, seriously ... wouldn't you just keep drinking?
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Re: 1919

I guess that explains why Al Capone made a killing ...
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    I guess that explains why Al Capone made a killing ...
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Off topic:
    It simply does not work to ban alcohol or soft drugs for that matter. It only drives the prices up. Wonder how much the government would make if it legalized marijuana (both in terms of taxes as well as not having to spend billions on law enforcement).

You can't legislate morality. Making alcohol illegal is only an exercise in finding out how far people are willing to go to get the stuff. And how much they are willing to pay for it. People back then were desperate enough brew their own booze, and die of methanol poisoning.

Back on topic:

If you are going to make a moral appeal to people, the rewards must be positive if you want to meet with any success. I am well aware that people's beliefs of what constitutes a reward has changed dramatically over the past 100 years. Somehow though I do have the impression that the target audience for the campaign could hardly identify with the rewards on offer.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Ha Ha it was a joke Vautrin. I am not so sure posters like that didn't exist however. People in pictures back then certainly do look kind of like that in the ones I have seen anyway. Never smiling and looking like they just swallowed lemon juice!

I know it was a joke. Hence the "off topic" and "on topic" demarcation.

Those posters DID exist. They probably did just swallow lemon juice. What else would they have? Root beer?

Probably also why those other lips touched more liquor then theirs too!!!!!!!!!!

"My husband rather puts his lips on the bottle than on me."

Say no more.

I think I would take a close look in the mirror and if I looked like them, fix myself up, douse myself in alcohol and show up in front of him naked! That will get his lips on me!!!

"Honey, I have already done your breasts, and other spots, but I have not done your knees. There is still some good alcohol on there."

I think he should skip the knees and redo a few other spots!!!

Considering that role patterns were more traditional in those days:
    "I have hidden the booze. I need to actually <censored>, before I can remember where I hid it", might be an alternative.

We might need to move this one to the Over 20 soon! Not sure I know what the <censored> part was but have somewhat of an idea! Ha Ha.

I'd rather avoid moving it to the Over 20 section, hence the <censored> bit.

That's okay. Just some of the innuendo. I will keep it clean if you will!

As long as the woman does not tell the (semi)drunk man to go to town. Certainly not if he is a cowboy.

Well if he isn't a blonde cowboy she should be good!!

Otherwise, cowboys, well, um ..... they have cute butts!

Sorry, off topic. I figure the cowboy women were cuter.

Sure, but somehow I doubt that the women in the picture would be that interested in female lips on their own.

I wasn't suggesting the women on women lips. I should have said "the cowboy's women". In other words, I was suggesting a picture of a cowboy's woman would be cuter!!

But they were probably not living the monogamous life that these women appear to live.

Mind you, forced celibacy counts as whatever you want.

Well the women in that picture most certainly were practicing celibacy.

But I doubt the men were looking forward to celibacy. Yet another reason to have booze.

I am sure the brothels were doing as well as the illegal bars. Probably one in the same!

The downside of brothels would be that you have to pay for women twice. Once in marriage, once for a tryst.

Well if you weren't getting it at home ...

Thread Information