Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Interview The Person Below

Growing up poor, we never got to go anywhere but to a town about fourteen miles away. Along about twelve or thirteen I got to go to another small city about two hours away. A huge deal for me, I couldn't believe my luck and how happy I felt!

What is your favourite or lucky number and why?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I'll go with 19. Don't ask me why.

What's the most surprising thing you have found out about yourself, in your most successful relationship?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

the most surprising thing I found out about myself, in my my most successful relationship, was that I've discovered that what I really want / what really makes me happy is the very simple, very basic things - good friends to share my joy with, the man I love near, my parents to be grateful to... I initially though that social recognition, the best most amazing glamorous job is something that I would need / require to accompany me in that journey...

I don't think I really know the answer to that question, I don't think I've ever had a really successful relationship to give an honest answer....

What's the worst moment you've ever been through that turned out to be the best one - or a door opener?
    the universe is made out of stories, not atoms

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post

What's the worst moment you've ever been through that turned out to be the best one - or a door opener?
    That's sort of a toss-up between finding out a friend who I deeply loved betrayed me or realizing when one job was starting to affect my health, well-being and starting to lose the person I was. So, I'll go with the job which was a door opener to some very amazing things happening to me and the happiness I found in my new job which lasted over seven years before I retired.

What is your favourite time of day and what do you do at that time?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Late evening. Glass of wine / port, and spend a few hours reading online forums. So much fun to be had .

I hate mornings though. I am not a morning person, and sometimes I need a quarter gallons of coffee to just wake up.

What is the last place on earth you'd want to visit? Also, give some reasons why you feel that way about it.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Death Valley, for obvious reasons.

I'm sorry to be flippant about this question, I've thought about it and there are actually quite a few. Everywhere where there is no humanity for people and mass killing of women and children.

This is a very good question, so I'm going to quote it for others:

What is the last place on earth you'd want to visit? Also, give some reasons why you feel that way about it.

I had such a thing for Egypt. 12 months later, Mubarrak was kicked out because of a popular uprising.

Russia?
    North Korea?

I am not that much of a traveler, but there are a few places I would refuse to go to, and those refusals would all have to do with dubious political situations in those countries.

What hair colour would look terrible on you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    I had such a thing for Egypt. 12 months later, Mubarrak was kicked out because of a popular uprising.

Russia?
    North Korea?

I am not that much of a traveler, but there are a few places I would refuse to go to, and those refusals would all have to do with dubious political situations in those countries.

What hair colour would look terrible on you?
    My first answer is pink, then purple, then green.

If we're talking about real hair colour, then it would most definitely be black.

Have you ever bitten your fingernails?

Yes, it is one of my bad habits. It is not an excessively compulsion though.

Have you ever hitchhiked?

Have you ever hitchhiked?
    My husband and I did when we first got together before our first vehicle; didn't like it at all.

Have you ever set a gambling limit for yourself and then went beyond it?

I never gamble, or insofar I gamble it is "social gambling" where the stakes are about 1$, in office settings.

Have you ever been stopped by a police officer to be fined?

Have you ever been stopped by a police officer to be fined?
    I hope I can include my husband in this.

We just bought our fancy Jeep a couple of years ago, though it wasn't brand new it was well taken care of, so it was brand new to us.

There were a number of new fancy gadget things in it that we've never had before so we were kind of getting acquainted with it as we went on our road trip to show this Jeep to our Sons. Lo and behold, didn't realize we were speeding at 6:00 a.m. and there were blue and red lights behind us. Along comes this nice young cop who says "and where are you folks going in an all-fired hurry at this time of the morning?" Needless to say, he wrote a ticket for $175.00. He also added, "Have a nice day!"

Have you ever worn sandals and socks together?

I wonder what the fine was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    Have you ever worn sandals and socks together?
    Yes. Quite often actually. If there is something I cannot stand it is getting cold feet. It is the only way I get cold. I am quite skinny, eat a lot, so my metabolism keeps me quite warm.

Have you ever gone camping with your family? And as important: did the weather hold up? Or was it a miserable trip all around?

Never been camping with my family. We have had all day picnics, but were in bed my night time.

I've been once camping with some friends - I must have been 18 or 19. Sunny day, weather was warm, but I think it's not the same if you're not a kid and you're not with your family.

what's the funniest family moment you've lived - or that you remember?

The one that springs to mind is when my maternal grandmother set her eyes on my youngest brother. It must have been her birthday, and my brother must have been about 6 year old or so.

You must understand all of her grandchildren were blue-eyed. And all but one are blonde (the other being a reddish blonde). My youngest brother takes after his father, and has brown eyes, and black hair.

My grandmother asked "What is that boy doing here?" It did not cause much of a scene, but it is a remark that will be etched in my memory forever.

My grandmother was a very cheerful person, so there was absolutely no malice in that remark. Bless her - she has been dead for little over a decade now.

After which grandparent do you take the most?

After which grandparent do you take the most?
    Sadly, I didn't know three of my grandparents and the one grandmother I did know, scared the heck out of me as a small child. She moved away to be with one daughter so I didn't see her for years.

If I could just turn this around a bit, I think I take after my Aunt, my Mom's sister more than anyone else. I loved her strength and I'm trying to take after her.

For someone that couldn't read or write, only to sign her name, she was a brilliant woman. I have to say I know how to read and write and I wish I would have been able to help her with that.

What was your favourite book when you were a child that you read again and again?

Apparently as a small kid I was fond of a booklet on the adventures of some cat. My mom must have read it a gazillion times to me.

Later, when I was in grade 5 or 6, I read a lot of books with animal characters. I still remember some of the characters. Apparently they were written by C. Bernard Rutley.

If you could be any animal, what animal would you want to be?

If you could be any animal, what animal would you want to be?
    I would want to be a black cat as I find they have a rare and special quality of nurturing, loving, and totally caring for their masters; plus being independent.

If you could be a dog, which breed would you be?

http://images.cheezburger.com/comple...5661401575.jpg

I am not fond of dogs. I'd probably pick something small and smart. Preferably not hyperactive. Sorry, I would not know. I'll pass this question.

Great pic, Vautrin!

I will then repeat the question:

If you could be a dog, which breed would you be?

http://cdn.mdjunction.com/components...cebook_pic.jpg
    Another picture of Luba

http://www.runningthepack.com/blog/w.../smart_dog.jpg That would be me.

Do you prefer roses or other flowers?

Easy: I'd be a Labrador or a Golden Retriever... I need to be active and to have a purpose, so I'd be a working dog for the visually impaired people, most likely. Good with kids, non aggressive, happy dog!

But if you ask my friends, they would tend to say that I am more like a Border Collie - one of those "run the field", "work the hoard", "boss the cows/sheep" type of working dogs, haha!

give 3 brands are like you and explain why.

- One particular brand of wine, from a specific wine farm. Me and my ex visited the estate (along with an uncle of hers, who was actually involved in the farm), and I had a rose that was simply divine. I should have bought all the bottles, and exported them to Europe. I would have gotten away with charging ten times the price I paid for them in SA.

Bear in mind that I hardly buy products:
    - Samsung: have bought a wide variety of products of them, and none of them have failed / given any issues of note. To me reliability is very important.

- Ikea. Yup. Nice looking furniture for an affordable price. If you know how much you have to pay over the price for "authentic" cupboards, chairs, tables and the like you will think again. For me the modern look is important, as I like my furniture without too many frills, and pointless decorations.

What are your favorite flowers to receive?

I love wildflowers bouquets - they are so fresh, they make me smile. Add in a few peonies to make it a tad more sophisticated (and for the perfume) and yeah, you'd get a good idea of what I like best.

Second place goes to tulips - I loooove tulips. White tulips, yellow tulips... Or peonies - but they make me a bit sad, for a strange reason.

It's such a great question that I have to stick to it for the next person! Favorite flowers, 'fess up!

Thread Information