Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Captured Your Eye Today?

This thread is for those little, tiny things that just made you instantly feel better. It could be anything like a word, a phrase, a sentence in a book etc., a look from someone, a kind word someone said to you, or you said to someone without even thinking about it. There are thousands that could pass through the day without even really drawing attention to it, but this thread is especially for that. So how about it, friends? Please don't let this thread go by without posting something light and inspiring in it.

-----------------

This thread was inspired by the word 'harmony' today. I love that word, it makes a person instantly feel better because it covers so, so many things.
    Last edited by Luba; 09-28-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: What Captured Your Eye Today?

We were stuck in a three hour traffic jam; two little boys in the very back, pregnant daughter and baby girl in car seat behind me and my sister. Traffic was horrendous and it was hot. So much so that drivers were checking and offering bottles of water to each other. A trip that should have taken an hour!!

I was making the decision to relax and simply go with the flow when I spotted it…. A tree. A lovely tree covered in some kind of white blossom. I can still see it in my minds eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    We were stuck in a three hour traffic jam; two little boys in the very back, pregnant daughter and baby girl in car seat behind me and my sister. Traffic was horrendous and it was hot. So much so that drivers were checking and offering bottles of water to each other. A trip that should have taken an hour!!

I was making the decision to relax and simply go with the flow when I spotted it…. A tree. A lovely tree covered in some kind of white blossom. I can still see it in my minds eye.
    Lovely; and thanks for posting here, Skyler. That's exactly the kinds of things it would be good for people to notice, especially when harassed. Just to take off one's mind and notice something beautiful, something special.

You described that tree so beautifully that I now can see it in my mind's eye. Thank you for that!

------------------

For me this morning it was a young fellow chosen for this season's "Biggest Loser". The contestants have all kinds of tests done on their health, and he, being only 27, got quite bad news. Severely overweight, he was told he had diabetes which he didn't know he had. That shocked him, but instead of him feeling sorry for himself he used the word determination to change.

That's a good, strong, positive word; so that captured me today.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Thanks. I will keep my eyes open for more to report.

I like and use affirmations a lot. Words can be very powerful. Here are my three favourite words -

Peace Harmony and Tranquillity.

Whenever feeling a bit stressed I repeat these word to myself and it relaxes me.

I guess I should have titled this thread "what captured your senses today?"

I just came in from a walk in the cool, crisp, clear morning. It was mostly about listening and hearing today.

The intermittent traffic on one side and the steady, gentle sound of the creek on the other. Hearing a workman in the new building using his saw, a helicopter overhead at one point, birds just barely heard in the distance, and a voice or two along the way entering a building.

It's Autumn here now and the leaves are just starting to turn. A lot of green yet, just some yellow and reddish brown ones here and there. No oranges or reds yet, looking forward to that. Still some blue and mauve flowers along the way. Just a beautiful Fall morning.

Called in at my daughter’s today. She was clearing up as her guy was due back this evening. She was looking after a friend’s little one around the same age as her own little one, ten months. The two of them sitting exploring a large basket of soft toys, their back to me. Our little one blond the other little one very dark, it was the contrast that caught my eye. They were playing amazingly well. Such a lovely sight, made me think it would make a lovely picture.

Finally, more Autumn colours! Those red and orange leaves adding to the lovely scenery. Just like a kid, walked through some puddles in the Mall parking lot.

Took a cup of tea outside on this warm October afternoon. I never noticed before how raspberry bushes turn a lovely pink colour in Autumn in contrast to the yellows and greens.

My friend and I went for a 2 hour walk. It wasn’t much. We just turned off the road and found ourselves in this lovely quiet area where there were some lovely trees and the sound of birds singing. We stopped and had a snack which we had brought with us. It was the most peaceful ten minuets I’ve had all week.

Those moments alone, without people demanding your attention really are the best.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I think it's so important to catch those fleeting but beautiful moments each day, and even if it's a difficult day, all the more reason to look for them.

All the Autumn colours are bursting forth and it's just beautiful to see them along the highway.

An amazingly large flock of gold finches that arrived to eat on my porch today. Their chirping was cheerful as they twittered and fought for a place on the feeder. It is so fun to watch them as they crowd for a spot on the feeder. I have counted up to 26 on a very little porch at one time. What an amazing wonder nature is.

My first day as boss and I am doing a good job of it so far.My employees are glad to have me as their boss.I am into treating my employees right.A toolbox my matco tool dealer had on his tooltruck as a trade in,a good used Mac toolbox and I bought it on the spot.Needed something for my specialty tools and pullers at home.

The Autumn colours are so breathtaking!

Parted the curtains to see it snowing for the first time this season. Stopped everything and just watched it snow as slowly the daylight came. With the snow came incredible Peace! Wonderful!

I took my kids today to one of Lowe's Builders Workshop. Today the kids were building Valentine's boxes. What caught my eye was the enthusiasm you could see in all of the young kids eyes. Sometimes we as adults needs to step back and look at our experiences through the eyes of babes to truly appreciate each an every moment.

We live on the side of a mountain, albeit a small one, our house backs onto bushland and wildlife and especially birds are abundant. They come morning and evening, probably because the wife and daughter feed them better than i get fed The "Bird Budget" is now $25pwk. lol

I get the day old bread.....the birds get todays slices lol

We have one big white cockatoo that is a member of a flock of around 40 birds. He's easily picked out because half his feathers are missing and im assuming hes been in a major inicident because in the 2 years we have seen him almost daily, they have never grown back. Many of the birds will take some food from our hands, some gamely, some tenatively but this fellow always sits back and only eats what is thrown to him.

This morning, just after dawn i was out on the back porch watching the sun rise over Sydney and the coastline.....he landed on the chair and looked at me. I went inside and got the bread, with honey smeared on it.......to my surprise he jumped over to my side of the BBQ table and sat there. I stuck out my hand and he took the bread, eating it where he sat. I swear he winked at me and then he flew off, not a friend or fellow Cocky in sight.

I dont know why but for some awful reason i have the feeling that he was saying goodbye. I hope he returns tomorrow and i hope im wrong.....but i have such a feeling about this.

This is what captured my eye today......a friendly exchange between 2 different species of life, an understanding that was an expression of friendship, almost acceptance, but without spoken words

That's a beautiful story, Snooks; I hope he does return.

I think that bird was a bit shy. Same with humans: too many people trying to encourage you leads to paralysis.

I am sure he'll be back tomorrow.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Maybe the wink was the equivalent of a fist bump - LOL

I don't get too many moments for myself - during the week. I do relax when I go to the gym occasionally to de-stress.

but I do keep an eye on these things - sometimes I am better at spotting them than others.

Here is my morning trick: on my way to work, I am passing by my favorite coffee shop and many others - I am taking the tram and have to walk a bit until the tram stop. Sometimes I am looking at people taking the time to enjoy a fresh cup of coffee and the morning paper and it's like I am there myself, for a second, carefree, sitting at one of those wooden tables and relaxing.

there is this coffee shop near the tram station. Nothing special, I am not a real fan of the decoration inside, but it plays some amazing jazz tunes, really early in the morning. I've never been inside but every morning I am passing in front of it and enjoying my 30 seconds of jazz. Sometimes I speak with my friends on the phone and when they hear it, they always tell me "ha, you're passing in front of the Cafe du Rond Point, aren't you?"... makes me smile
    the universe is made out of stories, not atoms

My daughter dancing in the kitchen

Saturday at the show... I was helping a nice couple who was shopping for a new boat. They had very specific needs. I was helping them and noticed this chic kinda hanging hanging around. She was smokin hot... Turns out it was the daughter of the couple I was helping. She was in her early 30's maybe late 20's I would guess. She captured my eye...and still has my eye captured. Dang. Something about ranchers daughters from the east side of the mountians.

It is hot in here or is it me?
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

Just you WDH but it sounds like you had good reason.

I dont know why but for some awful reason i have the feeling that he was saying goodbye. I hope he returns tomorrow and i hope im wrong.....but i have such a feeling about this.
    Well its been on miy mind....its been 5 days....but Bonnie said this morning he turned up looking as ugly and untidy as ever. She fed him up

Quote Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
    Well its been on miy mind....its been 5 days....but Bonnie said this morning he turned up looking as ugly and untidy as ever. She fed him up
    I'm glad he was back!

Thread Information