Very Leaky Ceiling

Last Thursday nite, I came home to a lake in my living room.

It had rained rather hard that day and frequently the days before and all that water pooled on the roof, found a hole in the membrane and proceeded to find a way into my apartment via the ceiling.

It wasn't just a slow drip like that of a faucet, it was really coming down in there and by the time I got home from work, my carped was saturated in a 6' diameter circle. I still cannot believe how lucky I was that it missed my Home Entertainment System and all my computer stuff but it did, very lucky there.

Sadly my good fortune isn't as good as it would seem as I've had to endure 3 knee high blowers and a large de-humidifier/heater/blower unit for the past week straight. The noise this stuff generates is on par with living close to a fire hall or an airport, no exaggeration; and it's continuous, white noise. It also brings the heat up and at some points it was close to 95 in my apartment.

The smell was very musty for the first 4 or 5 days and you can't open a window because it releases too much dry heat which is needed to dry things out. So you not only have to endure this absolutely mind numbing sound but also heat, low humidity and smell.

As if this isn't all bad enough, the dry wall and ceiling samples came back positive for asbestos which we all know is very hazardous if its particles become airborne. I find out today whether or not they'll have to remediate the living room (I hope not) as it will mean being kicked out of my apartment for a week until such time as all the asbestos has been removed and replaced.

The last week has been very interesting for me indeed and unfortunately not in a good way.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Very Leaky Ceiling

I am sorry to hear that Duke. At least the electronics did not die as a result of this leaky ceiling. That is at least a positive.

Flooded carpets are a waste, you never really get them back in the state you are happy with it. Does your insurance cover for this?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I haven't gotten insurance involved because it's the property management company who's actually made a claim. The good thing about that is that I don't have to pay any form of deductible at least.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

That is at least something. The last thing you want is footing the bill for someone else's screw ups.

I would try to get the carpet in the claim as well. At best the colour will be completely off; at worst you'll have the sensation of smelling you are in a sewer because of the smell.

Hopefully you don't have to relocate for a week to deal with the asbestos, though I would urge you to get rid of the stuff. Asbestosis is what did my ex's father in, and it is a horrible way to go.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Duke, I'm SO sorry that this is happened to you! Keep us posted on how it's going.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Good luck buddy!

At least you'll go back to a nicely redecorated room!

Wow that sucks! Our basement has flooded twice since we moved here in March, the last time being a week ago, so I feel your pain.

I hope they fixed everything properly for you!

Thread Information