So close to Disaster - But he's safe

My wifes father has been very ill for four months and two months ago, we made the unpleasant decision to put him in a nursing home.

He's been very unhappy and 10 days ago we moved him from where he was to one only a few miles away. Hes not delighted, but he seems happier.

Yesterday, a nurse working at the nursing home he had originally been in, deliberately lit a few fires, burning the centre down at around 5am. As yet the Police have not stated why.

It killed 4-5 people and hospitalised as many as 40 others. These people are old and frail, can barely walk and as such, they couldnt escape. In addition, for security reasons the doors are locked at night.

Thank God we moved him. My condolances to the people who lost loved ones.

Local newspaper article
    Nursing Home Fire Deaths at Quakers Hill

Re: So close to Disaster - But he's safe

Yasses!

Glad to hear your father in law is unharmed, but I do feel for those poor people.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Wow, that was timing. I am sorry for the other people but glad you got you father-in-law moved before this unfortunate thing happened.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Holy crap, that's an incredible coincidence. I wonder how many others left or relocated prior to the fire because you hear of this sort of thing happening prior to plane crashes and other disasters as well.

Anyway, I'm just glad he's alright and thankful for the peace of mind this must be giving you. I don't even want to think how tough it would have been on you both had he been one who died in that fire.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Wow, I am a firm believer in following your gut feelings and I bet you are glad you did. It is so sad when people do things that hurt the most innocent.

We were very lucky.....he hasnt got long to live, but what time we do have is treasured.

Wether it was gut feeling or sheer coincidence i dont know, but things certainly dont get much closer. The room he was in was destroyed totally, 2 of the dead were in the room next door, 6 others from immediately around him got out and 3 are now in the nursing home that he was moved to.

They still dont know exactly why the Nurse (male) burnt it down, but he has been charged and obviously bail was refused.

Oh, Snooks, I'm so glad your father-in-law is safe! I just watched some more News items and what a horrific situation for all!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

The Death Toll is now at 9 with 2 still in Critical Condition.

It appears that the nurse who did it was under investigation for something involving the drugs in the hospital. Apparently the Detectives were there questioning him about it after being alerted to the issue by Managment of the Centre. A shooting occuured and this meant that the D's were called away.

It seems that the Nurse lit the fires to destory evidence, after being told by the D's that they would be returning to finish the interview later.

I must state that all the above comment is merely heresay and something that was told to me by a Carer in FIL's nursing home.

I would not be surprised if it turned out to be the truth. A Dutchwoman was also under the victims, though I suspect she must have naturalized as an Aussie some 50 years before.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Thread Information