Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: War and Peace

Re: War and Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Or should we say, there was an interbellum?
    That's great!!

--------

I left off on Page 71 so it won't be too bad to start again. I'd be crying if I had read 500 pages or so.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whos getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I'll be doing a lot of reading in the upcoming weeks. No internet, no signs of civilization (), but I am not yet sure what I will end up reading. Soo many options, but I don't think I will pick up War and Peace. Too many other books that I need to read (again)

Hopefully you will manage to finally succeed on this attempt .
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Am I correct in assuming you won't have internet for quite awhile then, Vautrin? If that is the case, I'm really going to miss you and your quick and sharp wit.

Yes, I hope that I can get through it this time. It's quite cold here now, a good time to curl up under a blanket with my "War and Peace", a cup of hot chocolate, and being silent which my husband will appreciate. I've had good intentions to be quiet, but have been so full of my holiday that I haven't stopped sharing with him.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I should be online just before the Superbowl this year. It all depends on the service provider though.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I should be online just before the Superbowl this year. It all depends on the service provider though.
    That's awesome, hopefully we can watch Superbowl 'together' like we did before, though I'll miss seeing you here until you are online again.

---------------

I just finished reading Chapter One and it's clearer than it was the first time. I'm still on the quest to hopefully recognize some relatives.

A gazillion characters in the book, and you are still not sure if some of your relatives are in it??!?

A gazillion characters in the book, and you are still not sure if some of your relatives are in it??!?
    I haven't come across any with my Russian maiden name yet! They are probably saving the best for the last.

Hmmm, I wonder who the last character is to be introduced now.

Not doing too badly with 'War and Peace'. At least I don't miss more than a day or two of reading and my notes for the main list of characters is one of the best ideas I've ever had.

That is good Luba. It is not the easiest book to read, that is certain.

That is good Luba. It is not the easiest book to read, that is certain.
    The characters are becoming real to me now and pretty soon I'll be referring to them by their first names.

I'd been doing pretty good with my reading and really getting involved with the characters up until two weeks ago. I'm going to have to get back into it before I'll forget everybody and have to start again for the fourth time.

Go get back into it. It is a long and complicated read. I never finished it. Not too big a fan of Tolstoy's writing style, strange as it may sound.

Go get back into it. It is a long and complicated read. I never finished it. Not too big a fan of Tolstoy's writing style, strange as it may sound.
    I know I have to get back to it. I just have to get some work done on my schedule, still somewhat scattered about that part, but I'm working on it.

I love his writing because it's like I'm right there, everything is so descriptive and the characters so real.

The characters are real, but there are simply too many to keep them in memory. It does not help that I usually read several books at the same time.

The characters are real, but there are simply too many to keep them in memory. It does not help that I usually read several books at the same time.
    I know and that's why I was smart enough to get the main characters in the form of notes from the Internet. I've been referring to them from time to time until I got to know them. Now I may have to refer to them again before I get back to the book.

Or you could read something less complicated? Like the Divine Comedy?

Im on the mood for reading this week, been searching a good read, maybe Ill check this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Rice View Post
    Im on the mood for reading this week, been searching a good read, maybe Ill check this one.
    For me, it's taking forever! I MUST pick it up again!
    I read several books at once, and that's why I'm having a hard time finishing this one.

Thread Information