Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What gaming systems do you have?

I no longer PC game, it is just to expensive to keep upgrading so I have not been doing it for the past several years. I have a MacBook Pro, it does everything better than a PC (IMO) except... gaming.

Instead I traded in some TV boxsets at Blockbuster (when there was a Blockbuster) and got an Xbox 360 (I actually did this twice, I have a second one still in the box). I returned my counter top dishwasher to WalMart (it was in excellent condition as I hardly ever used it) and got store credit, so I bought a Wii. Then I received a PS3 Slim for my birthday a couple of years ago. However, I cannot play online, as all three are modded... well, except for that Xbox 360 still in the box.

What systems do you have?

Re: What gaming systems do you have?

I don't really have a gaming rig. Just use my medium range laptop for the few games I do play. Runs most "old" games decently enough, and barring a few exceptions the new games don't appeal to me at all.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Do you play any online social games?

I do not have an account but my partner plays the facebook games, like City of Wonder. Instead I will play the occasional adventure and hidden object game from bigfishgames.com which run well on the Mac without taxing it (or my time) to much.

The only online gaming I do is chess, lol.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

None.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    None.
    How about board or card games? I have a stack of ones that I enjoy but rarely have the time to play...

My PC is so old now it's not even worth talking about really. It's a first generation Conroe E6600 (2.4 dual core) on an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi, 5 GB DDR2 @ 667MHz, MSI N460GTX Hawk "Twin Frozr", and close to a Terabyte of Storage between Western Digital (Caviar Black) and Sh1tgate (Seagate).

My backup computer is a newer AMD based system (barebones from TigerDirect.ca) and is the only ray of hope for my interim future of gaming. The CPU can be upgraded as can the ram (DDR3 I think) and it has PCIE2 unlike my Conroe System.

I'll likely up the PSU to 750 - 800 Watt (modular), add about 8 GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz, a somewhat high end 6 core CPU (unlocked multiplier), and a high end NVIDIA card (probably a 580 or a 580Ti) and likely at least one SSD for the OS.

If I build it correctly and overclock wisely, I should be able to squeeze 2 - 3 years out of it until such time as PCIE3 is mainstream and all the bugs have been worked out of the first gen. of video cards.

By that time I should have about $3000 set aside for a monster build based off DDR4 (12 - 20GB), PCIE3, 6 - 8 cores running at as close to 5GB/core, water cooling, 1200+ Watts PSU and triple SLI on a triple monitor setup (3 x 24" likely).
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I don't get around to gaming much anymore, but my kids do it every chance that I allow them to. Occasionally, we have a family game night and we all play something together. We have a PS3, a PSP, and a Wii. I also have the Kindle fire, and although it isn't really a gaming system, it does have a few fun games on it. I use the PS3 the most.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    By that time I should have about $3000 set aside for a monster build based off DDR4 (12 - 20GB), PCIE3, 6 - 8 cores running at as close to 5GB/core, water cooling, 1200+ Watts PSU and triple SLI on a triple monitor setup (3 x 24" likely).
    Jeeeebus, that IS a monster 8-o

Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    I don't get around to gaming much anymore, but my kids do it every chance that I allow them to. Occasionally, we have a family game night and we all play something together. We have a PS3, a PSP, and a Wii. I also have the Kindle fire, and although it isn't really a gaming system, it does have a few fun games on it. I use the PS3 the most.
    How is the Kindle fire? I was looking at some Kindle's awhile back but have not got around to researching them.

What PS3 games do you play?

I have a Wii and my kids left the Super Nintendo!! Ha Ha. Don't play either much. I play games on my Samsung Galaxy Tab most and of course they aren't the intense ones you see on computers or the gaming systems. But they work for me. My main one at the moment is Words with Friends. I get my butt kicked most of the time but it is still fun.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    My main one at the moment is Words with Friends.
    That is the game that Alec Baldwin got kicked off of American Airlines for refusing to stop playing. It must be good!

I heard something about him getting angry with the flight attendants. Didn't hear the whole thing! I am not that bad. I can put it away for the duration of a flight!!!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I have a Wii and my kids left the Super Nintendo!! Ha Ha. Don't play either much. I play games on my Samsung Galaxy Tab most and of course they aren't the intense ones you see on computers or the gaming systems. But they work for me. My main one at the moment is Words with Friends. I get my butt kicked most of the time but it is still fun.
    We totally need to hook up on words with friends!!!

We have an Xbox 360 and a PS3. Pc for Skyrim all the way though.

I've got a 6 year old pc, and do most my gaming on my xbox. I've also got a few ancient gaming systems called board games. I guess as long as my pc doesn't break down and needs replacement I'll stick to xbox gaming.
    NoTargeT (a.k.a. Shilka)

Quote Originally Posted by Rianad View Post
    My words with friends name is Gigs60.

Quote Originally Posted by NoTargeT View Post
    I've got a 6 year old pc, and do most my gaming on my xbox. I've also got a few ancient gaming systems called board games. I guess as long as my pc doesn't break down and needs replacement I'll stick to xbox gaming.
    There was a really big shift to the consoles a few years ago among the people I know, including Calizza, MadDog44 and some others I cannot recall at the moment. For one, they are cheaper to maintain and I like not having to upgrade in order to play the latest game, except for purchasing the latest console every 5-7 years.

For me the downside to consoles is that you still end up with three or four machines. Just is not very cost effective.

Got a 360, had one since 2006. Gave away my PS3 and Wii, they just collected dust.

Got a couple of PC's as well:

My HTPC is a Dell T7400: Xeon 5410, 4GB FBDIMMS RAM, PERC 6/1 RAID 5 array with 10,000 RPM discs and recently a GTX460. Got it free when I was made redundant in 2009. It was a bit of a beast when it was new.

My current gaming rig: Intel 2600K@4.7ghz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4GB is a RAM drive), 120GB OCZ Vertex 3, 1TB Western Digital HDD, Nvidia 580GTX, Antec 1200 case. The SSD is fast but using a RAM drive makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    For me the downside to consoles is that you still end up with three or four machines. Just is not very cost effective.
    Since I received all of mine for trade-ins or as a gift, it worked out fine. But I do know what you are saying. That is why it is a good idea to choose one system and stick with it for the most part because as Mondo pointed out, at least one, if not two, end up collecting dust. In my case, it is mostly the Wii that collects dust but occasionally we get some use out of it.

I have an I5 2500k - 8gb of ram - 5 hard drives in a RAID 5, 2tb

Right now I am sport'n a 260gtx 216sp.. Dual monitors (mostly for coding) 22" and 20", otherwise I leave the second monitor off.

I game at 16x10 so I haven't needed to upgrade my graphics in a couple years. I have yet to try a game that taxes my system much really, but I am not all that hard core of a gamer. The I5 with all the ram really helps while compiling BIOS code (my current job) believe it or not a 2mb BIOS file starts its life as ~20,000 files at about 800mb, so it takes a few minutes to compile.

I try to stay at the top-middle (or low-top end) of the technology curve and always wait for the best sales on computer hardware. So far I average a couple hundred dollars a year, which I don't think is too bad. I have been known to go over that amount a tiny bit at times but I don't think it's to much to spend.

My file server/HTPC is a dual core Celeron 2.5 ghz, couple tb of storage, with a low end video card, can't remember which one (NVIDIA something er another =P), but it has an HDMI out that plugs into my 42" television and plays all my movies. The kid's gaming system is a Q6600 with an older 7900 gtx and it does well enough for what they want. Whenever I decide to upgrade my video card it will find a home in the kid's system. Also have a couple laptops bouncin' around.

Computer systems are all tied together with a gb network, wireless n for the laptops.

I started a game with you!!

I started a game with you!!
    I see that. I will be sending you my word soon.

Thread Information