Upgrading the box and diving in head first

Hoping tonight is the night I install a new 120gig SSD and Win7. About 3 years ago with some advice of a friend I built my desktop computer from scratch. It was something I had always wanted to do. I like building things. I had zero experience but thought I could figure it out. I wanted some specific things for my photography and associated software. It worked out great. Now I find I'd like to have more memory and more speed hence the upgrade.

I have no fear of diving into things I know nothing about. Recently, like 2 weeks ago, I was told to redo a webpage and I could start from scratch if I needed too. "Just make it happen" is what I was told. Having no fear of the unknown I foolishly said "ok". I knew/know nothing about what I was about to get into. Now I find myself owning several domains, my own webpage and forum (still in testing), and will soon begin building a full blown website for a friend and his company.

So in redneck countryboy "get r done" fashion I'm getting there. Have bailing wire and duct tape...will make it work. I obviously have no idea about HTML code and I need a WYSIWYG editor and have spent the better part of the last week evaluating several software packages. I think I have it narrowed down to a couple that a simplton like me can figure out. Sure not getting a lot of sleep but getting plenty of "seat" time in front of a PC.

For now I just hope the install goes ok....so I can get the web software rolling and get some pages built.

I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

Re: Upgrading the box and diving in head first

Good luck with it all. As for web creation tools I recently bought Serif Webplus 5. It is pretty much totally WYSIWYG. I haven't used it extensively yet but planning on redoing my personal web site with it. I like Dreamweaver but I am not an HTML wiz either so I have brute forced most of what I have done in it. Anyway, I am going to give it a try. Plus their package comes with 6 months of free webhosting. I bought a resource guide to help me get started. Seems pretty easy.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Serif is one I'm looking at. I have been playing with the free version and that's what I used to get my construction pages going. I had to see if I could even get a page to show up on the enter-net. The other I found was Xara. I'll probably just buy them both.

Win7 install is going. I guess that is good.....

Go WDH........love your attitude but gheez, it dont work for me. I dive in head first and i hit the bottom

Its an exciting field to dabble in and its certainly addictive, i know that i can spend hours working on my site and still have done not even 1% of what i hoped.

Bout time i changed this box of bolts for a decent system.

Whilst i think about it WDH, i found some good pictures of my boast but would you believe ive misplaced them.....i'll send you one as soon as i find it again

Hey Snooks, Oh I hit the bottom sometimes and it hurts. Yeah find them pics. Would love to see them.

Install went fine and I must say I'm very impressed with win7 and the ssd makes it all the better. Takes about 8 sec from pushing the "on" button to ready to roll. Way cool. Memory management seems better too. The Bios settings on the MB don't make a lot of sense to me. I got my slave drive going and all seems ok so far.

Does anyone use openoffice? I'm going to try it. MS Office is such a hog I decided I wanted to lean things up a bit. Besides, free is a good price. I don't do much word processing so it should be fine. I do some spreadsheets but can't imagine needing all of the bulk of MS. Also using Thunderbird for my email client. Didn't want "Window's Live" and T-bird seems pretty lean.

Having just some minor issues but all in all everything seems good.

I know one thing, I have WAY too many irons in the fire right now. I haven't had any time to even think about having a beer. That is just wrong on so many levels.

Man I sound like such a geek....

Welcome to geek land I have used openoffice. It seemed to do what ms office does. It used to work well with ms office products as far as opening word docs and all but haven't used it since office 2010 came out so not sure it is still compatible. Can't hurt to try it. Let me know how it works. Glad your system is up and running. Now go have a beer. Better yet, I will resume my beer wench duties and make sure it is nice and cold!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Openoffice seems to work fine. I've just opened a few things to see if it opens them and it does.

Does the full version of Serif have many templates? Just got my freebie version re-installed and I get a discount if I buy the full version with that installed.

Had an issue with my card reader but my IT girl straightened me out on that. Got my chorme bookmarks re-installed too.

I'm almost back to normal! This thing is kick butt fast now. I need to order another 8 gig of memory and I'll be totally done. Win7 is very nice.

Now go have a beer. Better yet, I will resume my beer wench duties and make sure it is nice and cold!
    Uh yeah....took you long enough to figure that out! I'm thirsty!

Quote Originally Posted by waydownhere View Post
    Does the full version of Serif have many templates? Just got my freebie version re-installed and I get a discount if I buy the full version with that installed.
    I have about 25 templates with my package and can go online for more free ones. Haven't checked it out too much.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdlady
    Now go have a beer. Better yet, I will resume my beer wench duties and make sure it is nice and cold!
    Wait right there!!!

Open Office is just as good as MS Office, and it does not cost you a penny. Not too many compatibility issues either.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    I have about 25 templates with my package and can go online for more free ones. Haven't checked it out too much.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdlady
    Wait right there!!!
    I'm still waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Open Office is just as good as MS Office, and it does not cost you a penny. Not too many compatibility issues either.
    Love the price and the small foot print. I'll give it a go.

Now if I can just get my website going....hope to go live this weekend.

Send a link so we can critique your work.

Go here for your beer: Henry's Beer Links - Home

Things progessed a little better than I thought and I went live last night. I took care of all of the major issues and now it's just the little tweaks to make the site more "us". I'm now an owner/operator of an interent forum. ooohhhh ahhhhhh..... I know.

It's nothing special really. Our "group" on Facebook wasn't cutting it anymore. To many things get lost in the "wall" format. We had 17 users on there. I suspect we'll get more as word travels by word of mouth. I'm not advertising it and will make nothing off of it. I think of it as "community service". It's just a place where friends can plan trips, brag about what they killed, trash each other (as friends do) and boat bash. It's a private forum and it took some time to set up. I'm sure Duke and Snooks can relate to that. I'm hoping I can get some sleep now.

Now that my forum is set up, I can start the other project which will actually pay.

I did manage to have a couple hi-ball glasses of Fireball last night in celebration. I had to get it myself tho.

I did manage to have a couple hi-ball glasses of Fireball last night in celebration. I had to get it myself tho.
    Aaaaahhhh I am sorry. My arms just aren't that long. When you take that trip I will be your wench. Ha Ha.

So I don't get a link to see your handiwork? Bummer. I guess there are secret handshakes and all that. LOL

Glad you got it done.

For web creation I use Dreamweaver (no it's not even close to cheap) but I believe that it is worth every penny. When it comes to time savings, I've made my money back while using it. Dreamweaver for layout and Notepad++ (this one is free) for editing HTML, JS, CSS, PHP, C, C++, Java, ASM, and the list goes on and on.

I am not saying that other editors aren't good, but none of them have the features that Dreamweaver does; I get much more done using it for creation.

Hey WDH. I wont hijack the thread but i will post 2 of the photos that i wanted to show you.

The 5.1m (yards) Markham Whaler, twin hull and twin 175 Suzuki Outboards for blistering speed. Handles anything up to about 12 foot seas

My 250cc 4 wheeler we used to go shooting on. The farm was 180K hectares, so mobility for chasing the pigs is essential.

Nice pictures Snooks. Makes me want to buy a boat and a 4-wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by IR_Efrem View Post
    For web creation I use Dreamweaver (no it's not even close to cheap) but I believe that it is worth every penny. When it comes to time savings, I've made my money back while using it. Dreamweaver for layout and Notepad++ (this one is free) for editing HTML, JS, CSS, PHP, C, C++, Java, ASM, and the list goes on and on.

I am not saying that other editors aren't good, but none of them have the features that Dreamweaver does; I get much more done using it for creation.
    You have to remember I have no idea what I'm doing. I know no code. It's gotta be WYSIWYG or I'm dead. That said, a friend of mine is going to let me try a copy of dreamweaver.

I see TKD figured out the "secret handshake". I'm sure my buddies are wondering who you are. No worries tho.

Snooks - Hi jack away. I love the boats down under. Fishing machines. Nice 4-wheeler....I got me one too. Mines a little bigger tho....

Hey Snooks, Oh I hit the bottom sometimes and it hurts. Yeah find them pics. Would love to see them.

Install went fine and I must say I'm very impressed with win7 and the ssd makes it all the better. Takes about 8 sec from pushing the "on" button to ready to roll. Way cool. Memory management seems better too. The Bios settings on the MB don't make a lot of sense to me. I got my slave drive going and all seems ok so far.

Does anyone use openoffice? I'm going to try it. MS Office is such a hog I decided I wanted to lean things up a bit.
    Open office does the trick however you can use Google Docs as well which is just as good and solves the whole access anywhere problem.

If you really want to see your PC fly...an SSD is great but what you might want to investigate is RAMDisks.

I've got an SSD but use a RAM disk for memory intensive applications and caches as accessing RAM is faster than even 3 SSD's in RAID 5. The only downside is if you want it backed up, it needs to be done to a disc, which means more writing. So thats reducing the life of the SSD or writing to a HDD which takes time on booting up and shutting down. Of cause the answer there is never turn the system off!

A good RAMDisk 101:
    Use A Ram Disk To Reduce Writes On Solid State Drives

Thread Information