Do You Really Need the Extra Purchases?

Since the beginning of the recession, are you being more careful with your money? The extra purchases you used to make because you wanted them, do you still do that? Do you still buy fancy coffees etc. as you used to, or do you just now treat yourself occasionally? How has your life changed in regards to your spending level now?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Do You Really Need the Extra Purchases?

I dont know about "since the recession", but i do know that im a lot more careful and concious of spending as i get older.

When i look back at what i spent because it "was very important", or "I had to have that", I wonder at what would have been had I saved the money. A luxurious car is no longer of importance when once upon a time i drove a BMW M5. A big boat is no longer important and neither are the custom shirts that i once wore.....at $90 each.

I now cringe at the thought of paying $50 for take away for the family, the $40 jeans do me every bit as good as my previous $200 pairs and the "No Frills" items, on the whole, are certainly as good as their brand name counterparts.

Its just a shame it took me 40 years to realise this

I have not changed my spending habits at all. I have always been quite frugal with money, and I hardly ever buy any extras for myself. I am the kind of person that needs to be reminded there are cookies to be had in the first place.

I am a bit on the "too frugal" side of life, I admit to that.

The only luxury item I spend money on is alcohol, particularly South African wine. But even then it is no more than a few bucks a week. I have an alcohol problem. It takes me two weeks to finish a single bottle.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

After making some "adjustments" a few months ago, things are much better. I watch what I spend but I'm also going to have some fun. I don't buy designer anything and never have. $25 wanglers work for me. They go with my boots. I do spend a lot on fuel but that's the nature of what I do.

The only luxury item I spend money on is alcohol, particularly South African wine. But even then it is no more than a few bucks a week. I have an alcohol problem. It takes me two weeks to finish a single bottle.
    That's a serious problem. You need help....with that wine. TKD can teach you a few things about making wine disappear in short order. If it were tequila...I could help with that.

Stay away from women...they are a huge drain on your wallet.
    I'm so much cooler online...

There is no kill switch for awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by waydownhere View Post
    Not sure if I want to throw my life saving on a retirement plan that will go bust either. May as well enjoy the years before then .
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Not sure if I want to throw my life saving on a retirement plan that will go bust either. May as well enjoy the years before then .

After making some "adjustments" a few months ago, things are much better. I watch what I spend but I'm also going to have some fun. I don't buy designer anything and never have. $25 wanglers work for me. They go with my boots. I do spend a lot on fuel but that's the nature of what I do.

That's a serious problem. You need help....with that wine. TKD can teach you a few things about making wine disappear in short order. If it were tequila...I could help with that.

Not sure how to respond to that!!! Makes me sound like an alcoholic! I will admit, I don't take 2 weeks usually. Ha Ha.

As for women being a drain on your wallet, only if you let them! Guess you should stay away from them then!!!!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Also, don't forget to make a distinction between the money you spend on beer and the woman serving the beer wdh .

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post

Not sure how to respond to that!!! Makes me sound like an alcoholic! I will admit, I don't take 2 weeks usually. Ha Ha.

As for women being a drain on your wallet, only if you let them! Guess you should stay away from them then!!!!
    Vautrin must be rubbing off on me. Took me 3 month to finish a half gal of Fireball.

I try to stay away from chics but they keep coming to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Also, don't forget to make a distinction between the money you spend on beer and the woman serving the beer wdh .
    I'll keep that in mind. However the last couple times I've been out, I haven't been able to pay any attention to the ones serving the beer. I've been focusing on the person sitting across from me.

Yeah, but once you have her (any person sitting across you), remember: her position will not be salaried.

Yes. I think my job is secure but things are costing more.

I still spend to much on things I don't have to buy but they're conveniences.

Thread Information