The Phrase "You Complete Me"

Talking about relationships here, do you agree with the phrase "you complete me"? Do you believe that is what we look for in a relationship? Do you believe you are already 'complete' within yourself and do not need someone else to complete you?

Famous scene from Jerry MaGuire

You Complete Me - YouTube
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: The Phrase "You Complete Me"

I find the phrase horrible. You are a complete person on your own, with your strong points and weaknesses. If you can't be happy on your own, you can't be happy together. That is what people tend to forget.

There is an awful lot of truth in the Rilke quote in my signature.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    I find the phrase horrible. You are a complete person on your own, with your strong points and weaknesses. If you can't be happy on your own, you can't be happy together. That is what people tend to forget.
    I SO agree!

I didn't much care for that movie.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

There is more truth to "opposites attract".

I could do with a woman who would kick my butt to make certain I would apply myself a bit more in certain matters. Likewise, a woman who has this kick-ass attitude may like it to be occasionally slowed down.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

not sure about the opposites that attract each other, but to me, the idea of a couple is that of balance and harmony.

while a person can be balanced, they can end up being what I call "trapped inside their own head" and think about certain things too much or do too much of something.. or too little. Having another person near you to ground you to reality, to give you an honest feedback, to tell you to let go or to offer unconditional emotional support, to me, that is "you complete me" or "you make me be a better person".

It's about how the other person impacts you rather than what they can actually do for you... hope it makes sense.

It is a powerful phrase, that one.
    the universe is made out of stories, not atoms

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    not sure about the opposites that attract each other, but to me, the idea of a couple is that of balance and harmony.

while a person can be balanced, they can end up being what I call "trapped inside their own head" and think about certain things too much or do too much of something.. or too little. Having another person near you to ground you to reality, to give you an honest feedback, to tell you to let go or to offer unconditional emotional support, to me, that is "you complete me" or "you make me be a better person".

It's about how the other person impacts you rather than what they can actually do for you... hope it makes sense.
    It makes perfect sense.

I know I sound sour, but I really cannot relate to this "you complete me" phrase ...

the only thing that would come close to completing me would be one tiny little piece of chocolate - which I deserve, and which I think I shall have, despite the late hour of today - it's around 1 in the morning !
    the universe is made out of stories, not atoms

I could probably relate the the "You Complete Me" Phrase if anyone other than Tom Cruise says it; the only bright spot in that entire movie was Cuba Gooding Jr.

I don't know how I feel about the phrase personally? I can see one person bringing enough to anothers life to make them feel complete so from that standpoint I can kinda see logic in the phrase.

Also, I'm sure we've all felt emptiness when broken up from a serious relationship so it's possible we lose not just the other person but a part of ourselves in the process.

I can say that I see more validity in the phrase "You Complete Me" more than "Opposites Attract".
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I see negative reactions and some not so negative reactions to the statement "You complete me " This makes me think of another word having mixed feelings "relationship" There are healthy ones or codependent relationships which are unhealthy. The above statement about being completed sounds to many more like a reference to a codependent relationship.

So is there a healthy way of two people completing each other? I think so. I would like express what those words mean to me.
    I felt incomplete ONLY because I wanted to start my own family and give them the same love my parents gave me. . Call me old fashion But to care for others is just one small step to feeling complete. If you still do not like the word complete how about connected ?

Thread Information