National Anthem Singers

Sometimes some singers just draw it out and put their own 'spin' on the National Anthem. Really admire the way Arlette sang it today for the New York/New Jersey game! She has a lovely voice.

Anyone want to comment on some of the singers they've heard sing the National Anthem? It seems there was some fallout about the way Roseanne Barr sang it years ago. I don't remember exactly what the fallout was, just know there was.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: National Anthem Singers

First off I assume you mean the American National Anthem. The fallout was that Roseanne did it as a mockery. She can't sing and she mutilated the song. I actually don't like it when singers change it. I wish they would just sing it like it was written.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

Quote Originally Posted by TKDLady View Post
    First off I assume you mean the American National Anthem.
    Actually I mean any National Anthem. I've heard the Canadian one drawn out, too, wondering why singers feel they should do that.

The fallout was that Roseanne did it as a mockery. She can't sing and she mutilated the song. I actually don't like it when singers change it. I wish they would just sing it like it was written.

I agree!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I remember when Roseanne sung the National Anthem for USA and even 10K miles away, it sounded painful.

I believe that no matter who sings the anthem, no matter what country it is sung for, that it should be sung in a contemporary and original style.

If you are awarded the privelage of singing our anthem at a function or event, you should should sing it in the original style as best you can. It is the PEOPLES anthem, not yours and i personally dont believe that anyone has the right to change it.

The Anthem is the Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
    I remember when Roseanne sung the National Anthem for USA and even 10K miles away, it sounded painful.

I believe that no matter who sings the anthem, no matter what country it is sung for, that it should be sung in a contemporary and original style.

If you are awarded the privelage of singing our anthem at a function or event, you should should sing it in the original style as best you can. It is the PEOPLES anthem, not yours and i personally dont believe that anyone has the right to change it.

The Anthem is the Anthem
    Amen!!!
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I found a compilation with different people singing the National Anthem in the same video and for some reason, I couldn't get it to link here. Maybe that's a good thing, it was terrible.

Funny enough i love hearing the Anthems of other countries. Obviously many are performed in their native language, but i find it kind of nice to hear and sometimes just guess what the words are.

I admire how patriotic some countries are and even though im an Aussie now, after 40+ years here, i still very much admire and feel a special fondness for the English Anthem of "God Save The Queen".

Thread Information