Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: restless...

Re: restless...

maybe I do... maybe I don't, I'll have to see about that. had an interview today and I think, despite the pretty appearance outside, that it did not go well. aaaaaahhhh the corporate world, sometimes you just need to understand what exactly you need to say to get through to your audience...

well, luckily for me - and unluckily for the Swiss unemployment system, I did not suck up. I mean I was "approachable", but not the "inlove", "so grateful to be your slave" type of person. Weird, to see the need of recognition of people. I think I saw it... hum... we'll see if I am right. As far as I am concerned, I think I blew it.

Well, another one bites the dust, something else, more interesting, around the corner!!!
    the universe is made out of stories, not atoms

Slavery is something for people in their 20s. Once you figure out what you want in life, work is only part of the equation, rather than the whole equation. It is nice if your job / career fits in with what you want to do, but if it does not, why not look for a better match?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

if only my landlord was patient while I go find a better match... it's not over until the fat lady sings, V!

Not sure what you mean twinkle?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

lol, I was kiddin' (I think the more I stay at home, the more I start making jokes only I can understand ).

What I meant was that I still need to receive that "thank you but your profile does not match our requirements" type of email or phone before I completely give up that application.

This is such an amazing year, Vautrin. Take this: before getting laid off, I kept on telling my friend:
    - I have three things I really want to improve on: apply more, lose weight and learn German.

Well, God listened to me (and it is my own fault for not saying "find another job"): I have got the time to apply as much as I want to, I've lost weight (haven't been this fit since the uni) and... I have all the time in the world to learn German and Italian and anything else my heart pleases.

All in all, I need to get better at what I'm asking. Despite anything... felt good to go to the interview and go into a new office - I must be an office-formated person, lol!

how are things going for you, V?

how are things going for you, V?
    Up to now, I have been "working" (volunteering) for the same organization I used to work for in South Africa. It is good work, I am familiar with the requirements, and they really needed all the help they could get. It also helped to keep my CV up to date. That has come to an end now as my friend and contact at the office moving to a better paying job with another company.

So I am actively looking for work / volunteers' work that I can put my heart in. I don't have to do it for the money, as I can make ends meet quite comfortably on the benefits I do get. I still have a few projects running, and I want to finish those sooner rather than later. So I can be reasonably picky, and I don't have to beg to do something I would hate with a passion. A bit similar to you: it has to be worthwhile for me. The job market here is not great.

Ideally I'd do something worthwhile in a different continent, but it will be a bit hard to make all the pieces fall in place. I'll find a way though. Everything seems to depend on this aspect of my life. So hopefully, when I can get the employment situation sorted, other pieces will fall into place without too much effort (dating, living situation, feeling I am making a worthwhile contribution to the world, etc.).

The weather finally seems to pick up, and hopefully that means I will have more of an opportunity to go out.
    All in all, I need to get better at what I'm asking.
    Or ask questions you want to be faced with. Such as: "Will my perfect boyfriend be impressed by my language skills?" . You would have to find out with a few extras in your life for free (this is assuming you would not mind some man-drama in your life at the present moment).

How is the job market in Geneva? And other than the job market, how are things there? Still a vibrant town, or is the economic downturn starting to bite there as well?

I am sure that your lucky break is just one or two applications away for you twinkle .

it's really tough here, too, V, all companies are firing like crazy - P&G, HP, Colgate, even Nestle. Not pretty. Those companies hiring can afford to be extremely picky .

As for the man-drama in my life, you know I always keep an eye on the dating scene , also I've kept things at arm's length since my surgery. Quiet few months, then God rewarded me with a very nice guy for my birthday - weekend with my friends in in Istanbul. Unfortunately for me, it appears that what happened in Turkey will stay in Turkey, lol.

I've met a few months before a really interesting guy and a few weeks before he picked up the courage to ask me out. Had a lovely evening last Friday (cannot say date, because I am taking it really easy, hate bad surprises).

Funnily enough, one of our common friends organizes a bbq this weekend. So this guy, R, just asked me go with him to the bbq. He's half Swiss, half French, so it's a major thing, I figure - my hunch is that things will happen really really slowly - if ever. I don't mind, I prefer to keep my eyes open and my attention on the job market.

It is quite tough here as well. I don't doubt my skills, abilities, or qualifications, so I am not too worried about being stuck here forever. I think we have in common that we are not too pessimistic about our skills, and that is an important asset. Neither of us is desperate for ANY job; we'd like something that is right for us. I am sure we will find it .

Funny that you mention taking "dating" real easy. Too bad for that Turkish guy that he remains in Turkey. I really admire your healthy attitude about it. No need to rush into something. Take things slowly, and see where it leads to.

I am in a similar spot, though I do have the advantage of being a guy. I am settling nicely here, and I will see what comes my way.
    Last edited by Vautrin; 07-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.

V, I don't have a "healthy" attitude about it! I've been hurt far too many times and the attitude I display is "cautious". Don't worry, inside I am still as worked up and analyzing stuff over and over again, but the big difference from before is that I keep it all inside and limit the expectations. If reality doesn't come true, it's that it was not meant to be. I'm done giving love that "extra" push... usually I'm heading straight to the wall, hahaha!

and, I hit that wall straight, full face, lol!

Ok, I am reading an interesting book and realized I am a bit disturbed and a bit self destructive. The only good thing is that I am getting less surprised when things are stumbling down, now that I get that I have that self destructive streak in me .

So my "restlessness" was actually the excitement to see: if I am acting really bad / poorly, will everything crumble? And at what time do I bounce back? I understood. I only bounce back after hitting rock bottom. And I have to burn everything my way, on my way to bottom.

Well, the reality is.... things usually do turn badly, to my disappointment to see how things and people fail my stupid tests. Or when I finally understand how inadequate my expectations are.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
    Don't worry, inside I am still as worked up and analyzing stuff over and over again, but the big difference from before is that I keep it all inside and limit the expectations.
    Been there, do that. I am trying my best to lower the expectations, to the point that I am almost indifferent to the outcome. As tempting as it is at times to give things a push, or try and maneuver one in an advantageous position, you are better served by letting things come to pass.

We all have our shortcomings and "disturbances". No one is fully normal. We all have some hangups, our flaws. Things we are good at and things we suck at. Just focus on yourself, and do things that make you happy. That also applies to relationships and friendships.

Thread Information