Armstrong Stripped of Seven Tour de France Titles

This news saddens me as it was great to see what this man, battling cancer, could do and become such an inspiration and now this:

Disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong received a lifetime ban from Olympic sports early Friday and was stripped of his record seven Tour de France titles after deciding to abandon his long fight against charges he led a sophisticated doping conspiracy throughout his career.

Read more: Lance Armstrong

Discussion?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Armstrong Stripped of Seven Tour de France Titles

Well, I am sure it is conform the letter of the law, and road cycling has been flooded with so much doping stories. The enforcement of the rules has become a complete nightmare. I am starting to think that the sport should be either banned, or that cyclists are free to take whatever they want, but that no one is responsible for untimely deaths.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Sadly this completely unfair assessment is shared by many, most who fail to realize that Cycling is not the only sport to suffer greatly from doping conspiracy.

In fact, I don't think anything happening in The Tour right now is fair and it's getting completely out of control.

The Tour de France went from a traditional, prestigious and celebrated event to a Sponsor Driven Business where the only riders that get attention are the ones who win, period!

You can even be part of the break away, lead the race for over 100km and still only have your name mentioned (at best) on the sports page the next day. The best you can hope for is the crowd remembers you and the commentators focus on you during the race which never happens.

...the only thing that changes that is the color of your jersey.

I do not condone doping but on the same hand, I don't think it's realistic how "clean" the riders have to be. This is one sport where there is no time to heal between events so riders are always injured because muscle tissue is always torn.

These guys compete for a month straight every day. Even on rest days I'll bet most of them spend several hours on a training cycle.

Someone name me one other sport in the world that is even close to this grueling where competitors beat on their bodies similar to the beating the body takes on a Category 1 that is only part of a 110km race.

It just so happens that Cycling is the one event where doping is in the spot light and it will remain this way until they "whomever they actually are" considers the sport clean.

I think given the toll this race takes on the body, there needs to be some serious scientific commitment targeted at rider health and recovery and what the body needs to compete uninjured, daily.

Until that day comes and the pressure to not only sign to a team but compete at an extremely high level is alleviated, doping will always be present.

Moving onto Lance, well, what can you say about that?

He gave up the fight in this doping case which doesn't fit his celebrated history as a fighter as he's also known for his fight against cancer and the Livestrong Foundation.

I love Lance so much I don't want to believe he doped but unfortunately I can't believe that because his withdrawal does not fit with the persona he's spent years building.

Whether or not he actually doped will never be truly known unless he tells us once and for all. I wouldn't be surprised to see that day come in the form of a book because we've only seen the beginning of the storm that's about to hit Lance and his interests.

It's already rumored that some sponsors may sue him for endorsements over the years and American Postal Service seems to be the one being muttered in the headlines right now.

The truth of the matter is that whether you think Lance doped or not the fact is he's NEVER tested positive for doping.

At no time has this investigation looked like any more than a witch hunt and that's apparently the reason Lance packed it in. He states that USADA is incapable of reaching a fair consensus at the end of all this and on this point I do agree with Lance very much.

Lance Armstong's Statement of August 23, 2012

You take guys like Landis, strip them of everything (including dignity), trap them in a corner and then offer them a small beacon of light if they give up the "kingpin".

I find it funny how at one time nobody felt they could trust a word that came out of Landis yet we trust him now when he says "oh I saw Lance dope up, in fact, we had doping parties at my house with a midget who liked to watch the entire thing while he masturbated from a easy chair in the corner".

Pardon my French, but it's phukin ridiculous!!!

The Tour is in the center of the spotlight right now but trust me when I say, doping will move onto yet another high profile sport.

What's saddest of all is that doping is present in EVERY high profile, business driven sport and is only going to increase. Every time something is found to be as "performance enhancing", something will just take its place until that too is screened out.

Until that is, we have a scientific community that is committed to understanding athlete health that is not driven by sponsors, the media or any corrupt governing body.

BTW, I also wonder how many dollars were "silently donated" to the USADA?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I don't know if Lance has used forbidden substances. What I do seem to recall is that because he had suffered from cancer certain "forbidden" substances were allowed to be used by him. No idea how these substances would have improved his performances, but it does seem that medical history is something that can be exploited in sports. And that should not be the case.

I'll be the first to grant that some doping restrictions are ridiculous. To give a few examples:

You can be banned from chess because you drink too much coffee. And even though marijuana and other psychedelic substances do not lead to improved performances (more likely they will lead to reduced performances - some chess players experimented with that in the 60s and 70s), they are on the list of banned substances as well.

The Tour de France went from a traditional, prestigious and celebrated event to a Sponsor Driven Business where the only riders that get attention are the ones who win, period!
    I fully agree with this assessment. I really do not know why anyone would want to make a career as a professional cyclist these days.

For harder sports, it is hard to come up with alternatives. How about the Ironman Triathlons? Especially the more extreme variations (like double or triple) ... Those are gruelling as well. I mention this since the brother of one of my parents' neighbours was a well-known tri-athlete.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I think the triathlons are certainly grueling and all derivatives such as the Iron Man but as grueling as they are, there pretty much done over a weekend.

Basketball is the #1 Cardio Workout you can do followed closely by Squash but both have extended rest periods between matches as most sports do.

If you've ever played squash then you'll know that most courts book for 45 minute intervals. It's because 45 minutes feels like 45 years sometimes, depending on how good your opponent is. Imagine having to play even 2-3 matches a day for the better part of a month; I don't think anyone could do it.

...yet we expect cyclists to.

Cycling is different because you travel vast distances one day at a time all within a timeframe stretching as little as a day or so to the Tour which stretches the better part of a month.

There is just no downtime between stages so your often finishing a stage and then starting a new one with maybe 16 - 18 hours between stages. The body just cannot regenerate that quickly so it's anyone's best guess as to what it does to a person.

It's also bl00dy dangerous as you're affected by weather, other riders, road surfaces and worst of all, terrain. There is 1/8" of rubber separating you from the ground and at close to 50km/hr on a wet downhill that's like signing your own death warrant.

It's hard to imagine the lifestyle associated with biking but if I personally were to have had the wherewithal when I was younger, I may have tried to follow the path myself.

Road riding is such an awesome experience because the surroundings are beautiful, traffic is diverted in towns for the race routes and (it used to be anyway) a very accessible sporting option that virtually anyone could pursue. It's one of the few sports on the planet that you can succeed at no matter your height, body makeup, or genetics.

That may have all changed now but I still remain convinced that if you were to ride a bike from a very young age and virtually live on it, you could naturally compete at a very high level even in today's biking industry.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

That is where the double and triples come in Duke . When you are done with the first - let's do another one!

Road riding as a recreational experience is fantastic. As a sport / business it is dreadful.

When I lived in South Africa I used to bike to work and back. Distance wise it must have been 6 kilometers one way. And it was certainly not the most scenic part of town (some residential areas, as well as a golf course), but because of the hills it was quite a good cardio workout, especially going back to home, when at 5.30 PM you would be faced with a 15% hill ...

But I could actually enjoy the scenery. No one was there to tell me I had to cycle one way or the other in 10 or 15 minutes.

I think the sport continues to capture people's imagination, especially in Europe, since the bike was the first mode of transport that was geared to mass public. As such it must have enabled people to travel from their immediate environs for the first time in history. That is also why road courses are much more popular over here than say the keirin or other track races. They don't really capture the imagination, the sense of freedom.

I still maintain I don't know of a sport that is as grueling over a longer term as the Tour. The amount of biking is staggering but also the stress of getting to the finish line and not crashing must be crippling.

I have road raced a few times in my lifetime and remember taking corners I didn't think I could safely make it through; I just can't imagine doing that as part of a 150+ man peloton.

What I love most is that the Tour itself is an utterly beautiful race and it brings parts of the world home that we may never see in our lifetimes. The Tour is such a Paradox as its beauty is literally mirrored by the danger than looms over ever kilometer.

I just can't think of another sport that offers so much of what the Tour offers in both good and bad.

...can you tell I'm a fanboi?

Unfortunately the Tour has taken a real beating from a televised standpoint here in Canada. Now you can only see it in its entirety if it's part of a cable package, otherwise you may catch a stage or two on CBS Sports or some affiliate.

Outdoor Life Network was awesome in that they televised it twice/day but I guess outdoor sports wasn't getting them the ratings so now they televise stupid things like Man vs Food, Storage Wars, Storage Hunters, and all that sh1t.

I haven't been able to even catch a stage in WRC which used to be televised regularly on OLN in about 6 years, what a drag.

I refused to watch the Olympics this year because they were televised on EVERY major network yet none carried the Tour this year, I was furious.

I've heard good things about some of the Internet TV Broadcasters but I need to find one that broadcasts in 1080p for a reasonable price with a reasonable base package.
    My Daughter Rules!

Commercial imperatives have hijacked the tour. I don't see any reversal anytime soon.

Commercial television is getting increasingly crappy, and increasingly the same stuff .. so I can well relate to your frustrations Duke.

I saw this and don't know what to think about the organisations carrying this out other than disgust.

The guy was never proven to use any performance enhancing drugs. There is no justification to removing his awards. The irony also is, the guys who will now be rewarded the titles of winner of the tour de France have nearly all been caught doping at one time or another.

He obviously cannot be bothered to fight this any more but really he should be able to take them to court for ruining his name.

Thread Information