Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Bridgie's Fish Tank

I think it's wonderful that you have a passion and are going for it, getting involved and investing so much time and passion in it!

I am blocked, there are a lot of things that I like, but just can't seem to do them. Need to work harder on myself .

Best of luck with your fish tank!!!
    the universe is made out of stories, not atoms

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I wonder if the eggs go through some manner of shock when being moved from one tank to the other?
    Not so much a shock, but it is probably easy to damage them.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Thanks Twinkle. Well i'm a capricorn, what can i say..... When i do something i like to be knowledge and do it 100% or i likely just don't do it all together. I want to give my fish the best home just like anybody owning a cat or dog. I want them to be comfortable and cared for, the thing is it's just alot harder with fish.

I'm not shocking the egg's although it's possible. My problem is not really with the egg's it's with after they hatch. I just think it would be fair to try the natural way and not interfere and just see what happens naturally...... I can see my female has more egg's, she is just holding them bc she is in the community tank right now and they would get eaten. So i will put them back into their old home that i redecorated, where she can release them for now. Trial and error, what a learning lesson!
    " To thy own self be true..."

All it takes to shock a plant is to move it to another location, eggs may be even more susceptible.

I'm not saying you are doing it or knowingly doing it but I do believe it's a possibility.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I would be shocking them if i moved them not in water and if i put them in water other then what they were already in. But every time i moved them they remained submerged and i filled the new tanks with the same water they were in. I think my problem really lay's in the water filtration and what is powerful enough yet not to powerful. I also may not be using the best food, and maybe i need more air then what they had.....

I think just moving them is the problem, or a good part of it.

Don't move them next time and see if that changes anything.

It's not like you being a fry killer is going to make your fish abstain.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

It's not funny!!!! I am a fry killer!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but I find it funny, not on purpose mind you.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I'm sorry but I find it funny, not on purpose mind you.
    Your so cold!!!!!!

Sike no.. no .. no.. just playing.....

I know i can be funny the way i am with things sometimes. I have to laugh about it now too bc i already cried about it! What can i do the truth is the truth!

Duke must not have seen that....^ ^ ^

My daughter got a Betta fish last night. He's very pretty. She used her tooth fairy money to buy him. She named him Corious.... lol I guess that's how you spell it?!?!? I have'nt had one of those since i was a teenager. What i find odd about them, is that the males you have to keep alone, bc they fight til the death. But i have heard you can put females in a tropical tank..... and don't ask me how in the world you breed these fish when they are not supposed to be around one another.

Well, the betta fish is doing fine..... besides slyvester sticking his paws in there every other day.......

The cories, well they have had a couple batches of egg's since i posted last....they died. Got another batch of egg's right now....... this is driving me crazy!!!!! I have an idea for the way i should care for them but don't really have all the stuff it takes to get the job done...

. Hope you'll find a way to take care of them Bridgie. Caring for fish sounds extremely hard.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I have forgotten to tell you folks the great new's!

Well as you know i have been ill, have'nt really been properly caring for my fish, and it seem's as of lately whenever egg's are laid they are eaten, i had added 4 new cories to the group i had and i think that is what is stressing them to be eaten.

Anyway to my surprise i went to feed them christmas day, and i saw something little move on the bottom so i took a closer look..... And to my delightful surprise somehow someway in some batch of egg's 3 babies survived!!!!! They look a little over a month old now and are soooooo cute! I cannot begin to describe my excitement!

Well, begin

Well you should of seen me! i was like a kid on Christmas!!!!! I thought Santa came! I jumped up and down screaming, face lite with joy, smile ear to ear! I'm telling ya the cuteness is out of this world lil mini cories! And what was even more exciting was to find not one but 3! Also very relieved to know i'm not a complete fry killer! Something lived!

you must have been as excited at Christmas as your daughter was.

lol, I love this topic!
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    you must have been as excited at Christmas as your daughter was.
    I should of grabbed the camera and started taking pics of myself!

And the saga continues........!

Well my albino corys, have not been mating as i mentioned i had added some other's to their group which they didnt like and stopped mating, recently though i took the other's out and put them in another aquarium, so maybe they will get comfortable again and breed. As for their 3 babes, Uno, Dos, and Tres they are still alive and very well! I recently got a 50g aquarium and i have taken the babes and relocated them their.

I also took my Cory sterbi, a different breed, black spotted with a silver grey and iridescent undertone, and moved them into the 50g as well. For i was planning this to be a community tank to house a few different species of cory and some angelfish. Well shortly after moving these guys into that tank..... I FOUND EGG"S! This was about 2 weeks ago. Sadly the first batch i saw got eaten before i was able to do anything with them. They are mating like crazy though, and i have found several batches since. Some other's i was not able to get to as well and got eaten and some i got but so far all either did not hatch or died soon after hatching, except for one..... It's at least 5 days old. I got a breeder mesh thing that sit at the top of the aquarium, and that is where it is. I am praying it will continue to pull through. This species of the breed i think is pretty and it also sell's for a better price if i had ever wanted to do that.... lol. So far my odd's have'nt been well and i am keeping my first three babes, and if this guy lives, him too.

I'm still trying to learn more about how to better take care of the fry. I have been searching and reading things. I do find this all rather funny though. I read on forums some people want so bad for their cory to mate and breed, i never intended for it to happen with mine at first and i had no idea the other's were gonna spawn as well when i moved them. I just got to really figure this fry thing out!

Also on a sadder note, RIP My daughter's betta fish for it died yesterday..... and um..... it was my fault.... ugh..... The dang cat thought that that fish water was his drinking dish, and drank it all the time i was always having to give the fish more water bc it was half gone. I tried disciplining the cat and moving locations of the fish to hide it from him, but nothing worked. So i saw the fish had very little water, and i grabbed a pitcher to fill it up.... i felt the water when i filled it, it was fine...... so i poured it in the dish, then the fish was acting funny and i felt the water and while it was running it had got much warmer...... to warm.... i hurried up for more water of a cooler temp but i was to late, damage done..... i totally feel awful, surely my fault, i should have checked the temp before putting with the fish, i really do any other time, i guess i was rushing.....

Ok Folks, i know you all are on the edge of your seat just dying to know what is going on with my fishies!

I will update first that Uno, Dos and Tres are all still doing very well, they are nearly full grown and ready to mate!

I have dealt with a very sad frustrating Angelfish epidemic the last 9 month's. I don't even really want to get into this dreadful story that made me want to pull out every last piece of my hair! However i will keep it brief in saying there is an Angelfish virus, very deadly that only Angelfish can get. I got an infected fish, it killed plenty other's. I currently have 3 that made it out alive, they are full grown adult's now. I cannot mix any angelfish with them for 6 month's to a year, bc they are carrier's of this disease. Really i probably should'nt even try to put any angel's in with them ever again! I can'y bear to watch another die!

So i have not been doing any fish breeding since last winter. Been a crazy year for me, and my health has not been it's best. However My Sterba and albino cories still having been mating and laying egg's every so often. I have been procrastinating saying i would get a breeder tank set up soon bc i took the other one apart, but over the last 9 month's have never reset anything.

So yesterday morning i was trying to do laundry when i looked over and saw big mamma and 2 other females all laying egg's on every corner of one of my aquarium's! I have not seen multiple fish all doing that at the same time before. It was also too many egg's for me to ignore. I had no choice but to clean the breeder tank reset it up, get everything together right then it took me over an hour to scrape the egg's off with a razor blade and move them. It was my only choice, or the angelfish and other cories would of eaten every last one. Now my only success so far has been when i put the parent's in the breeder tank and removed them after, everytime i moved the egg's i have failed. However i think i have learned alot along the way, i still have hope, it was my only option in this scenario so we will have to just wait and see....... None the less, in the least i have the breeder tank reset up, and now whenever i see a pair of cories about to mate i can snatch them and relocate them versus the egg's in the future. Cross your finger's and wish me luck!!!!!!!!!

The egg's hatched but i don't know yet if any survived yet since i put gravel and plants in with the egg's. When they are first born they don't move much and like to be somewhere resting in the dark. So i guess in about a week i will take a closer look and see if i see any movement. Still got my finger's crossed that one or a few will make it!!!!!

Hello BB

I love aquariums, sadly i havent had one for many years but from age 12, i always had an aquarium (or 10) in my bedrrom (lol). My dad was a builder and actually had to put in new pillars and supports so the bedroom floor didnt collapse.

I love tropicals and i was very into African Cichlids, Bettas and a few of the mouth breeders. Never had any interest in marine, with exception to sea-horses.

Can you please post a picture of the tank, or a fish? I am amazed how fish have changed in the 30+ years since i first became interested in them. Fish that were amazingly hard to keep are now easy, fish that rarely bred (Discus) are now relatively easy to breed and pet shops now sell live Tubifex Wroms, beetles etc and i had to sift through drums of stagnant water just to get mosquito lava.

Its so easy now.....though its also very expensive im afraid

Having said all that......a simple goldfish in a round bowl can keep my attention for hours

Hiya Snooks!

Aww that is wonderful you have a love for aquarium's, but sad you went to a goldfish bowl! ( No prejudice against the goldie's ) Lol, but i know the feeling per say. I had fish for years as a kid then did'nt for a few years then did for another ten then did'nt, now do again. I have 3 right now currently in my bedroom..... i sooooooooo want a custom house with built in tanks!!!! That would be awesome!

In my early year's i had all the common simple fish. Then year's later i got gifted a school of Angelfish, and fell so inlove! I had them for many year's. They can be a harder fish to care for but i for the most part can understand and sense their need's. I like nice fish, lol, most Cichlid's though can be aggressive. I do really really really want some discuss!!!! However they require a nice size tank, and one day although i don't know if i will ever be up to it, would like a salt tank with Sea Horses as well! I want. i want, i want...... lol, oh the fishies can be a lil addicting for me! I do love my corydora's so much! I have about 5 different breed's of them.

It is alot of maintance and has been difficult for me over the last year with my health. They are also expensive! That is not an under statement!!!! I swear i'm alway's having to go get something or another for one of the tank's, and if it's not something i have to get it's something i want.... lol.

Sure i will take some current pic's sometime, for you! I'll try anyway.... lol i'm not the best fish photographer i must say....

I been lookin around, so far i don't see any life with the fry, of course as i said it's hard to see right now and too soon to tell. I did just throw it all together in an hour or two and was not prepared for this round of breeding, but finger's crossed still!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BridgieBridge View Post
    Sure i will take some current pic's sometime, for you! I'll try anyway.... lol i'm not the best fish photographer i must say....
    Unlike cats, fish won't run away when you want them around ...

Pfff that lil devil has been up my butt lately! Alway's wanting to lay in my lap, wanting to be spoiled, he is so rotten!

Thread Information