Obama Open To New Ideas to Avoid Fiscal Cliff

Now that President Obama has been re-elected for his second term, he isn't wasting any time trying to avoid the fiscal cliff. This story contains the entire video of his speech yesterday.

President Barack Obama, laying down his marker for grueling "fiscal cliff" negotiations, said Friday he won't accept any approach to federal deficit reduction that doesn't ask the wealthy to pay more in taxes.

"This was a central question during the election," Obama said in his first postelection comments on the economy. "The majority of Americans agree with my approach."

Following up, Obama's spokesman said later that the president would veto any legislation extending tax cuts for families making $250,000 or more.

The president, speaking in the White House East Room, said he wasn't wedded to every detail of the plans he outlined during the election, adding, "I'm open to compromise." But he offered no indication that he was willing to back down.

Republicans stood their ground. At the Capitol, Republican House Speaker John Boehner said he remains unwilling to raise tax rates on upper-income earners. But he left open the possibility of balancing spending cuts with new revenue that could be achieved by revising the tax code to lower rates but also eliminate some tax breaks.

Obama 'open to compromise' to avoid fiscal cliff - World - CBC News

Thoughts?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Obama Open To New Ideas to Avoid Fiscal Cliff

Lower taxes? They have been lowered substantially in the past 30 years, and the only thing we have to show for it is decaying infrastructure and a deficit the size of Kansas. The neoliberals (/neo-cons) really have lost their minds.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I didn't look at the video. I can't stand the man. I just know we are screwed with him for another 4 years.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

I wonder if this comes about whether Obama would also tax the members of his Government ? surely they are all high income earners too or is the Govt exempt from paying income tax?

As far as I am aware people in government have to pay taxes too, and that includes the upper echelons of government. Still, Obama is not making that much compared to your average CEO or manager of bailed out banks, and other legalized professions of thievery.

The thieves got us into this mess. Why should everyone but the thieves pay to get us out of it?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

United we stand, divided we fall, i remain a strong believer of this. The ways of our government are corrupt. And as long as we have the democrats and republicans battling in circles, we are not gonna get too far too fast. Whether it was a republican or a democrat that was elected we were still screwed either way. We have a big ol hole to dig ourselves out of, it's not gonna happen in a day or year, our issues are layered deep.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The more you take from the poor the more the country is gonna pay for it, bc the poor will get on government plans to survive.

“You have noticed that the truth comes into this world with two faces. One is sad with suffering, and the other laughs; but it is the same face, laughing or weeping. When people are already in despair, maybe the laughing face is better for them; and when they feel too good and are too sure of being safe, maybe the weeping face is better for them to see.”
    ― Black Elk, Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux
    “I did not see anything [New York 1886] to help my people. I could see that the Wasichus [white man] did not care for each other the way our people did before the nation's hoop was broken. They would take everything from each other if they could, and so there were some who had more of everything than they could use, while crowds of people had nothing at all and maybe were starving. This could not be better than the old ways of my people.”
    ― Black Elk, Black Elk Speaks: Being the Life Story of a Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux
    " To thy own self be true..."

They need to change things more drastically, and not be afraid to make large groups of people mad

I think the quickest typists can type in the entire Bible in about 65 hours. How long would they need for the US tax code? Last I heard it stands at 65 000 pages ...
    Last edited by Vautrin; 11-13-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Thread Information