6 yr old suspended for playing gun's with hand at school

Well someone i know son who goes to the same school as my daughter got suspended from school for what i understand for playing gun's with his hand's with another boy at recess. These boy's are 6 yrs of age. This has also happened recently in another county in my state. Now again from what i understand, the children were both immediately removed from the playground and parents called to pick them up. From what i understand there was no discussion from the school with the children on why it was wrong. The parent's are outraged and feel there should of been a less severe and less disrupting form of discipline other then the action taken. They feel there child lost the right to education. I believe they also may feel as though it was harmless, and that the boy's were just being boy's and having fun. This child's father is also a US soldier.

So what say you?

I spoke with another friend who has boy's and they feel as this child's parent's do, they would be upset, just the same. My friend mentioned if not for Conn this child would not have been suspended for this, it is bc of recent new's this is blown out of proportion.

I feel differently ..... although i do not have a son, maybe i am not in a place to speak but..... i agree and am thankful the school took action. Yes maybe a discussion should have been had first for the child did not know what he had done was wrong, bc obviously some people think this is normal boy behavior. I do not think it is. If i had a son i would not encourage them ever to "play" any kind of gun, not with your hand, not with a toy, bc i strongly feel that gun's are NOT TOY's. I don't care what kid's have been doing the last 50 year's, i don't care that society has accepted that behavior in the past. I do see how it came into play for year's ago times were a bit different and people did need more protection and they did need gun's for survival need's and yes young boy's were taught to be men, it was different time's. Our society today is not what it once was. In general we are protected, i mean yes tragedies are accruing but in general most people live in their home everyday and do not need to whip out a gun on a daily basis. I think our society is now corrupt though and becoming worse by the day. If we always do what we always have done we will always get what we always got. I think it is important of awareness of the lack of gun control and responsibility, and i think the time for change is now. Again i don't find it healthy to play gun with your hand, toy or sit infront of a violent video game all day. The people who are upset say the teacher's were there to teach that is it and they failed their job, well no exactly, they are their to teach not to parent. I think this lay's responsibility in the parent's hand of what to teach your child from right to wrong. So in this aspect i can understand why the teacher's did not have a discussion... Playing or not, i don't think it was appropriate at school, nor respectful to the surrounding children. I think there are plenty of other things the children could have been playing at recess. If we want to live in a better world, we must change our way's. 100 years ago it was okay to have slaves, today in the U>S it is not, why, bc it's not okay, and it had to change! I understand that the boy's father is a well respected U>S Sargent and i'm sure he is very proud and look's up to his daddy. But i just feel his daddy has a serious job, it's not to play, a loss of life should always be taken heavy hearted. This world can be cold, it's biggest failure of all, let's change that, be epic, make it warm!
    " To thy own self be true..."

Re: 6 yr old suspended for playing gun's with hand at school

i agree that guns are not toys. i don't hve a son either but, i still didn't allow my girls to play with any toy gun while they were growing up. now raising my grand daughter, the same rule applies, no toy gun anything. i strongly abide by that rule for my kids.

having said that, i don't agree with the severety of the punishment for these 6 year old boys. what they should've done is have a talk with the kids about guns and not being allowed in the school yard whether a toy gun or hand gestures then bring in the parents and have a parent - teacher meeting to address the issue with the parents. that would've been the professional and healthy thing to do. these kids are sitting here wondering what they did wrong. suspending them right from the start was completely wrong. 6 year olds need to be taught right from wrong. the school also has a responsibility to communicate their severe gun rules to the parents as well prior to any punishments.

this school acted as ignorant bafoons imho and i too would be extremely upset if i were the parents to one of those children.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

They are lucky! I would arrest the parents for leaving weapons UNATTENDED which is probably against the law to begin with. No need to suspend the kids, explain to them why it was wrong. Oh, and if it was a US. Army issued gun, I'd court-martial "daddy" too.
    Last edited by Vautrin; 01-11-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Yeah Star, i've been pondering this through out the day. I do not know the exact total facts, i did state what i did know. I don't know if the school has ever talked to the kid's about gun's or what behavior's are okay. I do think just complete suspension, without the child knowing is harsh.

Vautrin it was'nt a real gun it was the boy's using their hands as gun's. Just so we are clear but either way i'm just not a children playing gun kinda person.
    " To thy own self be true..."

Oh, I misunderstood. Maybe I read that, because we had such an incident here a couple of days ago.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Thread Information