Lance Armstrong Admits Drug Use to Oprah

I watched "CBS This Morning" to hear what Oprah says about her interview with Lance Armstrong to be telecast on two separate hours on 'OWN' network. As I sit here typing this, I'm still sad about it all, and I don't really know why. It's not like Lance Armstrong was my favourite sports hero, but I still am saddened by this whole denial and then admission. I would really like to see the entire interview, but we don't get the OWN network; I sincerely hope another network is able to telecast the entire interview.

Oprah Winfrey is confirming that Lance Armstrong came clean to her about his use of performance-enhancing drugs during their 2½ hour interview Monday.

She said the cyclist was "forthcoming" as she asked him in detail about doping allegations that followed him throughout his seven Tour de France victories.

Speaking on CBS This Morning, Winfrey said she had not planned to address Armstrong's confession before the interview aired on her OWN network, but "by the time I left Austin [Texas] and landed in Chicago, you all had already confirmed it."

"So I'm sitting here now because it's already been confirmed," she added.

Winfrey would not characterize whether Armstrong seemed contrite but said he seemed ready for the interview.

"I would say he met the moment," she said.
    Oprah Winfrey says Lance Armstrong admits drug use

Thoughts?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Lance Armstrong Admits Drug Use to Oprah

Well, let's see the interview first.

P.S. you have a son, and you have an internet connection. These interviews tend to end up on the internet . You can add two and two together.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

"The truth shall set you free."
    " To thy own self be true..."

Quote Originally Posted by BridgieBridge View Post
    "The truth shall set you free."
    In this case the truth has the potential to land him in jail or perhaps at least bankrupt him.

It was really stupid of him to go on Oprah and admit to this because he could easily have made millions from a book or movie deal that told the story.

Now he's admitted guilt so he can be potentially on the hook for endorsements he's received over his racing career. I can't even imagine what he'd do if Nike sued him (not that they said they would)?

I'm so disgusted by this whole topic not just from disappointment in Lance (he WAS my hero) but from the way Bike Racing is structured as a whole. A person just cannot warmup for a few hours, race for 4+ hours, cool down for a few hours and then rince/repeat for the better part of a month without damaging his body.

Medical Science has stated time and time again that it is not possible for the body to regenerate that quickly so what do you do?

Then there is the pressure to compete. If you're not winning you're losing, simple as that. If you can't compete you simply can't eat and you're nothing more than a biker; not a bike racer.

The entire system is a formula for doping and unless they make some serious changes it will never get any better.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I say that bc obviously the whole situation eat's him alive. He has decided it is no longer worth living the lie, and i would assume he is willing to take responsibility for his faults and actions. Otherwise he would'nt say a word. But the secret is costing him more then he thought he had, he can't live with it. So whether he go to jail, get sued out the wahzoo, nothing is worse then living a lie.

I do not know all the in's and out's for bike racing, but it's not alone. There are many other sports where people push their bodies to extreme's. Everybody is looking for the super hero, or want's to be it. What is wrong is to set a unreasonable standard. Here went lance biking away, and other's in training pushing themselves to be something they cannot, not with out the help and additives.

The problem is that who do you give his titles to because there exists no one in the sport who is above suspicion at this point?

All that's really happened is that one of the oldest and most prestigious sporting events in the world got it's image dragged through the mud yet again.

That would be acceptable if something got solved but nothing got solved. Now what are the fans supposed to do, wonder who is and who isn't?

It's not that much fun to watch that kind of race. I'm probably not even going to keep up on whats happening in the Tour this year for the first in many. I hate doing it but I'm not a blind and stupid fan like most of the North American Hockey fans are.

I just can't support something I have no faith in; I don't know how anyone can?

I gotta find a way to get WRC in 1080p to my TV. WRC and Tennis are all I have left.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

I can understand how ya feel Duke. I'd say the sport is a bit of a mess myself! I guess we will have to wait for it to fully unravel and see how it goes?

Cycling is certainly not the only sport that has issues with dope. Weight lifting is another sport. And don't even get started on baseball. The amount of performance enhancing drugs you were (are?) allowed to take is mind boggling. Barry Bonds, I am thinking of you. He was not convicted for using performance enhancing drugs. Only for the bit of lying to a jury.

And though of course cheating is a big problem in every sport, look no further than football (soccer for you across the pond), where governing bodies deliberately obstruct means to improve decision making. And then there is one set of rules for major countries (the reason France qualified for the WC 2010 is simply that they were financially more interesting than Ireland), and another set of rules for smaller countries.

Oh and FIFA on racism? They slap football associations with fines on the wrist if such offenses occur. And that can run in the thousands of British Pounds (GBP). But display a brand name of underwear as Niklas Bendtner did, and you get slapped with a 100,000 GBP fine.

Read more here: Nicklas Bendtner’s fine: UEFA’s approach to racism isn’t hypocritical – it’s all part of the package | Alex Hochuli | Independent Notebook Blogs

There is no easy way to solve the mess that cycling finds itself in. It is all about the sponsors who want good PR for as small an amount of money as possible. This leads to riders being financially dependent on the results they obtain. Hence it is not strange that performance enhancing drugs are so popular.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

The sad part is that it is surprisingly simple to fix the problem of doping; at least in Professional Cycling.

The race parameters have changed over the years but the race hasn't and that's the issue here. Cyclists are riding harder, faster and longer than ever before yet the stages have remained a constant throughout.

I wonder if the Tour was extended two weeks with break days between each Stage if doping would be less prominent? I also believe mandatory blood screening by a Governing 3rd Party would prove beneficial especially if ALL cyclists had to do it and if the screening times were completely random.

I think all sports have it within their system to fix the problem but none want to because it's an additional cost. The sad part is that their right because even though it may disgust us as fans, we still buy tickets, we still buy paraphernalia and we still subscribe to Pay per View.

Unfortunately, the average sports fan is a complete idiot and regardless of circumstances, we continue to hurl money at these sports. We pay these salaries so who is it that's really to blame for the continuation, US.

In fact, I'm sure there's some John Q. Numbercruncher out there that has done the math and learned that off season bad press still keeps the financial wheels turning. They may even be making record profits from all this bad press because no news is bad news when it shines a spotlight somewhere; someone always profits from it.

If we fans actually said enough and stopped buying tickets I guarantee you something would be done. Some of the NHL Teams are giving massive discounts on everything from gear to watching practices to Pay per View to heavily discounted Season Tickets all because of the NHL lockout.

They know they have to buy back their fans. Imagine this on a much larger scale with all the Professional Sports.
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Well, let's see the interview first.

P.S. you have a son, and you have an internet connection. These interviews tend to end up on the internet . You can add two and two together.
    Yes, I can!

You gave me a good idea and I did see the first part last night on "Oprah.com". Tonight is Part II and going even deeper judging by the preview.

Watching the first hour and a half, I felt sad through the whole thing. Because of how vehemently he denied the drug use the whole time and how he mistreated the people and sued those that said he did, he's coming clean now and I can't help but think what a shambles his life will be now.

I'll see what more he says tonight.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Yup, and since he sued everyone who by his own admission spoke the truth, expect many, many to sue him for their monies. So don't expect him to ever have money again.

Yup, and since he sued everyone who by his own admission spoke the truth, expect many, many to sue him for their monies. So don't expect him to ever have money again.
    Yes, it's going to be a rough ride especially for his family. I'm wondering about what will happen to his children (don't know how many he has), if they will take the brunt of some of it.

I am really waiting to see what he says tonight.

I think Oprah is asking tough questions, IMHO she is an incredibly good interviewer.

He'd be fortunate not to be tried for perjury in all the lawsuits he has been involved in. Lying in a court is an offense, after all.

I watched Part II last night when he was emotional when talking about his son and how he had stood up for his Dad.

Where does he go from here? Such a hard fall from grace.

His credibility is shot to pieces, financially he will be completely ruined. Really hard to see what will be left for him, or what he can do.

His credibility is shot to pieces, financially he will be completely ruined. Really hard to see what will be left for him, or what he can do.
    So true!

Very sad indeed, he is toast! What a fricken mess.....!!!! I feel for his children too Luba.

Thread Information