18yr old and still dont know what to do with my career

Hi guys this is going to be pretty long if you are willing to take your time and read it and help me that would be great.
    So to describe my current situation, Im an 18 yr old college student(Commuter) and have no idea as to what to do in the future. Like not even the slightest idea. Thats because I havent figured(If I have any) what I really want to do or what Im really good at. I also dont know what major to pick, currently Im in business law but I have no intentions on being a lawyer(I dont even know why I picked that) I also dont really have any special talents so I dont know what kind of job suits me. But something that I am better than others would be bowling,math,and being bilingual(Japanese and english). I found my love in bowling just a little over a yr ago. I play very competitively and even in leagues. I had thoughts about becoming professional on it(PBA) but that sounds quite unrealistic tbh. Im also decent at math and always the smartest kid in math class(But thats only because they put me in a stupid class where I dont belong)I ALWAYS get A's on tests for some reason no matter what. Sometimes I think in my head "Wow how do these people not understand this?" Sorry for my arrogance.. And for being bilingual(Im a fluent japanese and english) I have a few problems. I kinda have social problems so Im not good at communicating with either language. So that'll be a problem in the future when it comes to a job where communication is almost madatory. I was also raised and born here so its going to be quite hard to make a living in japan too.
    So yea these are all my descriptions about me and I really need help what my next step should be... Im not that smart, dont really have special talents,.. then what should I do? What kind of job best suits me? Plz help even my younger brother already knows what to do in the future(Wants to be a programmer) and I feel like Im too late for anything

Re: 18yr old and still dont know what to do with my career

I also dont know whether if I should take my career path here, or in japan. Im so confused what should i do

Hi Erif,

Welcome to the forum, you can get some great advice here. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and I'm quite a bit older, so know that you are far from alone.

Do you actually enjoy math? A bachelor's degree in mathematics could open lots of doors for you. You should like whatever you're taking though, otherwise you're wasting your time and money.

As far as bowling goes, I would say never give it up, you obviously love it, are good at it, and it enhances your life. Stay with it, and being in leagues with other people will also help you as you develop your social skills more. You just never know what could happen there. Don't put all eggs in one basket, but don't give up either.

If you feel you would be interested in a math major, I could direct you to some websites that could give you further information about what to expect, what courses to take, what jobs will be available, salaries everything.

thanks for advice scaredstiff. I actually dont enjoy math all that much but if there are no other options for my career, I guess mathematics is my only choice. I am currently taking finite mathematics class but how different is that from an actual math major? Im interested, can you please give me some sites.

What Im worried most if not being able to get a "good" job. I dont want to be working as a cashier, mcdonalds, a janitor and stuff like that. I want to work full time at a decent job with decent salary but I dont know what jobs there are out there with my skills....

Hey Erif,

Yes, I went ahead and sent you a couple of links to your pm box. I am pretty much the worst person to help you in this case. The blind leading the blind, so to speak.

Having a second language is a huge asset as well. You said something about being able to study in Japan too. For me, the experience of travelling overseas and going to school would be such a huge draw.

I can't tell you what job would best suit you, the things I have learned about what I want and don't want in a job came from hands on experiences. How many jobs have you had? What did you like? If only certain aspects?

You say you have a hard time communicating with people, why? Is it just that you're terribly shy? Do you get over that with time? Could you work with a small group of people, are you happiest working all alone?

hi there 18,

do not worry, this is normal. i think you are in the twilight grey zone of your lifetime.

this is just the beginning of your life and the journey is long..

1. Some people discover their interest early in their life..
    2. Some people will discover later in their life..

just don't give up the search of what you really intend to do in your life.

Keep searching and you will find it... sooner or later. But just don't stop looking for the answer...

I'm 32 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Good luck!
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

Thread Information