New and need some advise

Hi there
    I was surfing the web looking for helpfull advise instead of other sites that can bring ya down. Can ones thoughts make them depressed even if its not a chemical thing. I came off a hormonal drug that I was on for a number of years and when I came off my hormones and especially my testosterone very low. I keep hearing other guys that went through this and are still feeling bad and it seems like I was on it the longest of most of the guys I talk to. I guess what I'm asking is can the thoughts of still feeling bad and I might never get better actually making me depressed instead of a chemical thing and how to look for optimism when going through a tough time. Thanks

Re: New and need some advise

Quote Originally Posted by Chapat View Post
    Hi there
    I was surfing the web looking for helpfull advise instead of other sites that can bring ya down. Can ones thoughts make them depressed even if its not a chemical thing. I came off a hormonal drug that I was on for a number of years and when I came off my hormones and especially my testosterone very low. I keep hearing other guys that went through this and are still feeling bad and it seems like I was on it the longest of most of the guys I talk to. I guess what I'm asking is can the thoughts of still feeling bad and I might never get better actually making me depressed instead of a chemical thing and how to look for optimism when going through a tough time. Thanks
    Welcome to Lifesupporters, Chapat!
    I do believe that if the depression isn't caused by a chemical imbalance that thoughts can bring a person down. I'm a firm believer that thoughts can be changed in an instant, especially if you think of the positive things that have happened in your life and that you believe in yourself. It also helps to hang around positive people.
    I hope you check back and let us know your progress and maybe add more to share about the tough time you mention. Hopefully we can help!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Thanks, I'm fine sometimes then I think I'm feeling good I'm just gonna feel bad again then I start thinking about all the bad things and can't get back to the positive. If one has clinical depression can they still laugh and have a good time because I catch myself laughing at something and smileing and the next hour I could be feeling down about my situation and not want to do anything.

I'm just wondering, Chapat, have you actually been diagnosed with clinical depression?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

My Doc knows I have been going through this, he prescribed me a small dose of lexapro awhile ago and I had a neurotransmitter test and showed good levels like serotonin and dopamine and other but my Gaba was very low. And I talk to a therapist who seems to help somewhat.

Thanks, I'm fine sometimes then I think I'm feeling good I'm just gonna feel bad again then I start thinking about all the bad things and can't get back to the positive. If one has clinical depression can they still laugh and have a good time because I catch myself laughing at something and smileing and the next hour I could be feeling down about my situation and not want to do anything.
    Chapat, is there something going on in your life that worries you to the point of feeling bad again? Would it be possible to share more of your life for us to understand what causes these feelings? Is there a history of depression in your family?
    You mentioned being down about a situation, could you explain more?

No history of depression in my family, the situation I am going through is I was on a hair loss medication for 13 years that after stopping its caused alot of men to have a hormonal crash. I have been having problems with low testosterone and I know that causes us males to be depressed but I keep hearing stories that some men have been off the drug for years and still feel bad, I have been off of it for 6 months and I can't help but think what if I never get better, what if it messed up my hole hormonal system for good. Those are some of the thoughts that keep bringing me down the thought that I might not ever get healthy

No history of depression in my family, the situation I am going through is I was on a hair loss medication for 13 years that after stopping its caused alot of men to have a hormonal crash. I have been having problems with low testosterone and I know that causes us males to be depressed but I keep hearing stories that some men have been off the drug for years and still feel bad, I have been off of it for 6 months and I can't help but think what if I never get better, what if it messed up my hole hormonal system for good. Those are some of the thoughts that keep bringing me down the thought that I might not ever get healthy
    I reread your posts and it seems that your doctor and therapist aren't too concerned so am wondering what advice your received from them?

Try if you can, even a little at a time, telling yourself that you will get better every time that thought comes (in bold above). Try eating healthy, exercising is very good when those kinds of negative thoughts come, even going for a walk. Taking your mind of your fear by reading or a hobby you like to do. If you don't have a hobby, try taking up something you have always wanted to try. Learning another language is fun and takes a lot of concentration. Phone a friend and go for coffee or just to chat.

Taking your mind away from those thoughts and putting in some positive ones will help. The longer and harder you try, the easier it will become and also you will find yourself thinking that way more and more.

Thanks so much Luba for the support, it's just strange how I never had any big problems was always optimistic about everything and laughing and not having a care in the world and now it seems like one negative thing after another and it started with having mercury poisoning a few years before this which caused me bad aniety and now going through this.....and just having a hard time with the negative thoughts, it weird because I will feel fine and a couple hours my mind will say hey your feeling good when is the anxiety and depressed mood gonna come back and of course before I know bam it's back and then I constantly think about how bad I feel. Kind of like a vicious cycle I guess

Thanks so much Luba for the support, it's just strange how I never had any big problems was always optimistic about everything and laughing and not having a care in the world and now it seems like one negative thing after another and it started with having mercury poisoning a few years before this which caused me bad aniety and now going through this.....and just having a hard time with the negative thoughts, it weird because I will feel fine and a couple hours my mind will say hey your feeling good when is the anxiety and depressed mood gonna come back and of course before I know bam it's back and then I constantly think about how bad I feel. Kind of like a vicious cycle I guess
    Chapat, I hope I don't hurt you by asking you these very direct questions. Do you think you deserve to feel bad instead of being happy? When bad, frightening things happen to people they do feel they don't deserve happiness. Are you expecting the anxiety and depressed mood to return because you feel you just don't deserve to be happy or that the depression has been going on for awhile now?

You mentioned that you've talked with other guys who are going through the same thing. Maybe it's time to talk to some positive people, happy friends that you have, be optimistic and laughing again.

I'm totally not making light of your problem. When things go south in our lives and bad things happen, somehow we start thinking life is hard and just plain sucks, when it's our thoughts that take us there. Sure life is hard, but our thoughts make it harder sometimes.

Try catching yourself feeling good and when the bad thoughts come, try injecting something awesome instead. Try keeping some inspirational quotes handy or things you've done that your proud of. I am willing to bet that if you examined your life that you would find more good than bad in it. Try writing your bad thoughts out when they come and then purposefully add something positive. When you see it in writing, it becomes more real somehow.

Thread Information