Interpreting to Children The Frenzied Media World

Another article about Miley Cyrus and how she so transformed herself, is somehow difficult to accept, for me, who is a fan and now I don't know what to make of the huge change. If I, an adult, don't know or understand it, how is a young child who is a fan, figure it out?

When a cute, clean-cut Disney star like Miley Cyrus transforms herself into a raunchy, grown-up pop singer who feels "very confident being naked," parents of her childhood fans could be forgiven for wondering how to talk to their kids about the metamorphosis.
    But family and media observers say the whole Miley Cyrus episode is a reminder that open communication with children from an early age can help them learn how to interpret the frenzied media world around them.
    'The sexualization of childhood has been underway for a long time and each parent is going to navigate that relative to their own limits and sensibilities.'- Nora Spinks
    "One of the primary functions that a family has is to socialize and support their children to navigate everything associated with growing up," says Nora Spinks, chief executive officer of the Ottawa-based Vanier Institute of the Family.
    "Part of that is understanding and interpreting what they see and what they hear."
    And sometimes, she suggests, that may include a transformation into adulthood that childhood minds may not yet be able to understand.
    Read more:

Miley Cyrus: Dealing with the ?sexualization of childhood? - Canada - CBC News
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Re: Interpreting to Children The Frenzied Media World

That is what you get when corporates (like Disney) push half the population (the women and girls), into some ultraconservative fantasy that bears no resemblance to reality.

I am not sure if anyone remembers the Mulan merchandising Disney made? Compare the character in the movie with the merchandising, and you see the problem.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

I don't like Miley Cyrus. Never have and never will. However, I think she is the product of being an overly adored media darling for most of her life. She thinks shes the cat's meow and lives by the old adage of "any publicity is good publicity."

I wish she would just go away.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    I don't like Miley Cyrus. Never have and never will. However, I think she is the product of being an overly adored media darling for most of her life. She thinks shes the cat's meow and lives by the old adage of "any publicity is good publicity."

I wish she would just go away.
    Quoted for TRUTH!

I can't stand Miley or her Daddy.

Thread Information