Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Red face Being the other woman.

    Yes, I know. I'm a mess. I have got to have the absolute WORST choices when it comes to dating in recorded history.

    Here it is: I am involved with someone who is in a long term relationship with someone else.

    They aren't married, or even engaged. They have been together for 4 years and have been living together for the past year though. I don't know her, and other than a couple of photos I have seen of her on Facebook I know nothing of her. I would like to say that I didn't know about her before I became involved with him, but I did. I know, this makes me a bad person.

    Leading up to actually getting involved with him, I kept telling him no. He finally convinced me to have lunch with him, just as a friend. He said he was unhappy and lonely, and just wanted someone to talk to. Of course, that lunch didn't end as us just being friends. After we ate we went to the lake and walked around the nature trail. We held hands, we laughed, we talked, and we kissed.

    I knew before I went that it would be more than lunch as friends. My stomach was in knots for days before it happened. Yet, I still went. What does that say about me? What's worse, is even though I felt very bad beforehand and felt guilt for something that had not even happened after I was there with him that all went away.

    The only thing I feel guilty or bad about now, is that I don't feel guilty. Am I such a bad person that I don't feel guilt for being with a man who is not my own?

    When I am with him, it feels so natural. There is never any awkwardness. Never any uncomfortable silences. I've been on dates with other men since my divorce, and 99% of them I am just waiting on it to end. With him, I don't want it to end. We don't speak of her, or the circumstances. We take steps to ensure she doesn't find out, but that is the extent of the discussion regarding his relationship. It's as if when we are together we pretend the world outside of that room doesn't exist.

    We have been seeing each other once a week for the past month, and we iMessage constantly. Last week, we finally decided to take it to a sexual level and that is what has led me here. I need to tell someone! I need to vent. For obvious reasons, nobody in my life knows I am seeing him. I've been on both sides of the fence before. I have cheated on my S/O and my S/O has cheated on me. It sucks having someone you love cheating on you with someone else. Sucks is an understatement. It's devastating, it destroys your trust in others, and makes you feel inadequate.

    I just don't seem to care what it could be doing to the other woman in his life.


    I'm sorry this post is all over the place. LOL
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Home
    Posts
    12,071

    Re: Being the other woman.

    All I can say is I've been there, done that, doing that as well. I don't think we are bad. I think the relationship between the person you care about and their S/O isn't what is should be and while he really should break it off with her before he continues with you sometimes things just happen. There is a part of me that would like to have waited until it was over between him and her but it didn't turn out that way. I think everything happens for a reason. You just need to wait and see what that turns out to be. I am sending you hugs because I know what you are going through.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Thank you TKDLady, it's a comfort knowing someone else understands what this is like!

    I am going to be patient, and see where this goes. I'm not going to pressure him to leave her, because I feel that is something he needs to decide upon. If it happens, I wouldn't want him to resent me for that in the future should things go sour. For now, I'm just going to enjoy this. That's actually how he finally got me to go to lunch with him. He kept saying "You just never know where you and I could go. We could be something great."
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    At Home
    Posts
    12,071

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Thank you TKDLady, it's a comfort knowing someone else understands what this is like!

    I am going to be patient, and see where this goes. I'm not going to pressure him to leave her, because I feel that is something he needs to decide upon. If it happens, I wouldn't want him to resent me for that in the future should things go sour. For now, I'm just going to enjoy this. That's actually how he finally got me to go to lunch with him. He kept saying "You just never know where you and I could go. We could be something great."
    Exactly how I feel. Hang in there. People come and go in our lives and they all teach us something. And you never know what the future holds. It will be how it should be.
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Welcome Ayla!

    Great post! Very honest! I can understand what you may be feeling, going through. I'm not sure i have any advice, Love is crazy! It's unpredictable, but thing's do happen for reason's for whatever they are, and what is meant to be will be.....
    " To thy own self be true..."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow!
    Posts
    26,377

    Re: Being the other woman.

    The only thing I feel guilty or bad about now, is that I don't feel guilty. Am I such a bad person that I don't feel guilt for being with a man who is not my own?
    Ayla, I don't have any advice to give you because I believe that it is up to you and the man you are seeing. You aren't a bad person at all; in fact, you are very honest and upfront with how you are feeling.


    If you both are having a good time, and other important things are working out, then it seems you want to see it through wherever it goes. Wishing you the very best, Ayla!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.


    True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

    Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

    ~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    If I'm honest with myself, I know this won't end well for me. I'll end up hurt and angry. I just don't want to walk away yet.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Your likely to be right. It would be one thing if you both stumbled upon love, but for him to keep both thing's going, he want's his cake & eat it too! Also if he has yet to figure out something inside himself, he's just abusing both of you. Also if he was willing to turn on her he can turn on you. Unfortunately the trust is broken straight from the get up. I could be completely wrong but that is how i see it. It's a matter of time before it goes one way or another.
    " To thy own self be true..."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow!
    Posts
    26,377

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    If I'm honest with myself, I know this won't end well for me. I'll end up hurt and angry. I just don't want to walk away yet.
    Ayla, to me, your statements are very telling. I look at some things so differently now than I have before. Even though you feel you will end up hurt and angry, something in this relationship is keeping you there. Maybe, if it does end, instead of being angry, you will learn something about yourself from it, something incredibly priceless that will cause more growth, more wisdom, more strength within yourself.
    By turning it around for myself that way, I find I am actually more grateful for having gone through a difficult experience and become stronger, wiser, more caring.

    It's just a different way of looking at things that life gives us.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.


    True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

    Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

    ~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Your likely to be right. It would be one thing if you both stumbled upon love, but for him to keep both thing's going, he want's his cake & eat it too! Also if he has yet to figure out something inside himself, he's just abusing both of you. Also if he was willing to turn on her he can turn on you. Unfortunately the trust is broken straight from the get up. I could be completely wrong but that is how i see it. It's a matter of time before it goes one way or another.
    I've thought about that, about the trust being gone right off the bat. I adore him, and I adore my time with him, but he's still leaving me and going home to another woman. He's still waking up beside another woman every day. As of yet, he hasn't said a single word about making plans to leave her. I know that I'm probably just a distraction from his reality and I'm not sure how I should feel about that.

    Even though you feel you will end up hurt and angry, something in this relationship is keeping you there. Maybe, if it does end, instead of being angry, you will learn something about yourself from it, something incredibly priceless that will cause more growth, more wisdom, more strength within yourself.
    That's a wonderful way to look at it, Luba. I'm going to try to find out what has led me to stay in this situation. It isn't for attention, as there are a couple other fella's I have been talking to as well. There is just something about him and about how I feel when I'm with him. Regardless of how this ends I am going to learn from it.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    I mentioned this in another thread, but I want to update this one as well.

    The past two weeks the attached guy has been making less of an effort to see me. Doesn't text as much. You know the routine. He got the cookie he wanted, so to speak, and he was done. Except, he wants to continue to text and keep me on the side for when he wants another cookie.

    So, basically, he was using me. Which I knew. I suppose I foolishly thought it could be more. That he felt more. Nope, apparently the fun in it for him was the chase and once he made the conquest the adventure was gone. I see things for what they are, and I'm not angry at him or even bitter about it. I knew what it was before it happened. And, I suppose I knew it would play out like this eventually.

    So Friday night I went out with a wonderfully sweet guy. He's 10 years older than I am but we mesh so well. At least, so far. We seem to have a lot of the same values and views. He's a really nice guy, and I'm excited to see where things may go with him.

    Mr. Attached got upset that I went out Friday night. I haven't heard from him all weekend. And, you know what? I'm okay with that. I'm glad actually. I plan on letting him know tomorrow that I'm not interested in being his sideline anymore.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Being the other woman.

    This is really great, I'm happy for you! Standing strong, knowing what you want, taking action! You go girl! Any plan's to see the other guy anytime soon? You will have to keep us posted!
    " To thy own self be true..."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Thanks!!

    We didn't make any plans for the second date yet, but he was going to be gone riding his motorcycle with some friends this weekend so I haven't spoke with him yet. He doesn't have a cell phone. (Who doesn't have a cell phone in 2013!?!?) I'm not worried though, because we usually talk after 9pm anyway.

    I'll keep you updated!!
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The Cloud of Unknowing
    Posts
    17,267

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    (Who doesn't have a cell phone in 2013!?!?)
    I don't. It saves me from a lot of unnecessary distraction. I'd recommend it to everyone. Especially for people who need to have clarity with regards to who they are speaking to, what plans they have etc..
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

    Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

    The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    I'm afraid I cannot do without my iPhone. I just cannot. I love having a world of knowledge in my hand. Plus, I'm kind of addicted to it. It's like my drug of choice.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow!
    Posts
    26,377

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Wishing you the BEST, Ayla! Hope to hear when a second date happens and that it goes well; you deserve to be happy!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.


    True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

    Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

    ~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    It's not looking so good for a second date. He just up and stopped talking to me. No explanation. No "I'm not interested anymore". Nothing. We are still friends on Facebook and I occasionally see him online in the chat list but he doesn't attempt any communication. I sent him a message and he never responded so I certainly am not sending him another.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The Cloud of Unknowing
    Posts
    17,267

    Re: Being the other woman.

    He might be afraid that Woman #1 figured out something was amiss. Or has been caught (willingly or not). So quite possible he is laying low, and deliberately not responding as it would mean a lot of trouble for him.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

    Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

    The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    It's not looking so good for a second date. He just up and stopped talking to me. No explanation. No "I'm not interested anymore". Nothing. We are still friends on Facebook and I occasionally see him online in the chat list but he doesn't attempt any communication. I sent him a message and he never responded so I certainly am not sending him another.
    Aw boo! Men!....... lol. I agree, i would not send another.Tis what it is.... and again i do believe thing's happen for reason's..... maybe he was just your stepping stone, to step off from the other guy, for something better await's your future!!!!!!! That's the way i see it! Plenty of fish in the sea though, so just keep swimming along!
    " To thy own self be true..."

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    He might be afraid that Woman #1 figured out something was amiss. Or has been caught (willingly or not). So quite possible he is laying low, and deliberately not responding as it would mean a lot of trouble for him.
    The guy I was cheating with texts me more than ever since I told him I wasn't going to do that anymore. I ignore them and don't reply, though. He'll eventually get the idea and stop.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by BridgieBridge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    It's not looking so good for a second date. He just up and stopped talking to me. No explanation. No "I'm not interested anymore". Nothing. We are still friends on Facebook and I occasionally see him online in the chat list but he doesn't attempt any communication. I sent him a message and he never responded so I certainly am not sending him another.
    Aw boo! Men!....... lol. I agree, i would not send another.Tis what it is.... and again i do believe thing's happen for reason's..... maybe he was just your stepping stone, to step off from the other guy, for something better await's your future!!!!!!! That's the way i see it! Plenty of fish in the sea though, so just keep swimming along!
    It's funny you say that Bridgie! I was mad last night and in a FU frame of mine and thought that same phrase to myself. So, I googled the phrase "plenty of fish in the sea" and apparently there is a dating website by just such a name! I'm apprehensive about online dating, because frankly I read the news too much. Anyway I joined and if nothing else it was an ego boost! LOL

    Things do happen for a reason. That guy is a douche. Not because he's not interested in me anymore but because he doesn't have the balls to say so. So, to hell with him.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    It's funny you say that Bridgie! I was mad last night and in a FU frame of mine and thought that same phrase to myself. So, I googled the phrase "plenty of fish in the sea" and apparently there is a dating website by just such a name! I'm apprehensive about online dating, because frankly I read the news too much. Anyway I joined and if nothing else it was an ego boost! LOL
    Oh look, see!!!! What do ya know a dating website! I don't think it hurt's to check it out!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Things do happen for a reason. That guy is a douche. Not because he's not interested in me anymore but because he doesn't have the balls to say so. So, to hell with him.
    Exactly!!!!!!
    " To thy own self be true..."

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    The Cloud of Unknowing
    Posts
    17,267

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Actually I met my current gf on an online dating site as well. Not POF, though.

    I have to ask: have you run into this douche's profile on there?
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

    Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

    The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    711

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Actually I met my current gf on an online dating site as well. Not POF, though.

    I have to ask: have you run into this douche's profile on there?
    No, I haven't. Though I'd not be surprised if I were to come upon it.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: Being the other woman.

    Have you come across anything interesting there?
    " To thy own self be true..."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Woman And the Doctor
    By Luba in forum Fun Stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM
  2. Woman hater
    By copwife in forum Abuse Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 02:00 AM
  3. What Every Woman Should Have and Should Know
    By TKDLady in forum Inspirational
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 07:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 10:12 AM
  5. A Woman
    By Star in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 10:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •