Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

i'm 34 and she's 22...:S

hi there guys,

i see to have stumbled upon something that has really hit me hard during the last 6 weeks or so. i work as a teaching assistant and i'm supporting a new teacher. she's amazing. she is just so calm, but strict, funny but serious, firm with the children but fair. she has their respect and mine too. we get along great - i help her out all the time, make sure i do all her photocopying, preparing, even make things for the class during my weekends and i don't get paid for that. i enjoy helping her out as it enriches the children's learning. i also enjoy supporting her and kaing sure her job, a a teacher is a wee bit less stressful knowing that i can take some of the heat.

lately we have been really well and a few days ago we had a training day. i had to go in as she was and we discussed that we'd work on displays, etc. god knows there is always something to do in the classroom, or prepare lovely, wonderful learning things for the children. we laughed, joked, worked well and i noticed that she would want to go get paper together over at the art room on the other side where normally i'd just go. it seemed like she enjoyed being with me and my company. i'm a very jokey, positive person so am always smiling. after lunch we decided that we needed to create some cartoony displays and she told me what she wanted. i sat down to create the displays and she was sat there just watching me, and i didn't have no problem with that. we chatted away, me telling her about my previous jobs and we had fun. i noticed that at times she'd become "cute" - putting on a babyish persona/voice when i needed some more paper, and it seemed like it was a date! we laughed more and it was lovely. we work really well together and are almost psychic - we tend to know what the other is thinking or laugh at the same things etc.

i just feel so grateful to know her and if i were to die tomorrow, i would be happy to know that i met her. i think she likes me too, as i do like her. part of me is saying it's too much is a gap, the age. i just found out she was 22, i thought she was more mature as she acts so. then part of me says she would never be interested, and even so it wouldn't work as we work together. one of my friends said that he was happy that i felt this way as i've not felt this way about a woman since i seperated from my ex in 2009. she is an amazing woman, my heart breaks feeling that it may never happen, and even if it doesn't i mustn't be sad. i also think that maybe the age difference is too much, but then some say it's ok?

i am trying to think realistic and clearly, thinking of the best route and trying not to fall in love...but i think about her all the time we're not together, i see her smile, her laugh, these two are the best. her personality is just very natural and honest.
    Last edited by bluegorilla; 10-19-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Re: i'm 34 and she's 22...:S

Well as you said no matter what may come, it's great you have met her! It's wonderful she makes your soul smile!

Who say's age is a problem? Now if you were to have told me something absurd like a minor under 18, then i would have something to say to you, but you are both grown, maybe you more so then her, maybe not...... We all have our own level's of maturity and they are not factored by age alone. To me age is nothing but a number, bc people don't always act their age!

To me the more so bigger concern would be that you work together, that can sometimes be sticky!
    " To thy own self be true..."

Most women dig older guys. You're 8 years older than her, not 20. That age gap is completely doable. If being around her makes you that happy, go for it. Life is to short to pine after someone never knowing if they feel the same way.
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

Age is but a number. Don't get too hung up about it. As long as the two of you connect, and understand each other (and that can be a bit tricky, because your experiences growing up, childhood memories, etc., will be markedly different from hers), there is no reason you should rule out that something positive may happen.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

hey guys

so grateful for the replies here. i recall that i had asked her what she was doing this half term (next week) and she said not much, that she'd be going out on a touristy thing, "a single girl." then i asked her about christmas, just making polite conversation. she said, with sullen eyes and a sad look that she'd be by herself.

this weekend has been tough, all day just seeing that smile of hers. bonkers!
    bridgiebridge - lovely to "meet you" here i am grateful for your reply.

yes, it is so true that i am really pleased to have met her. it's wonderful when you meet someone and you know that your life has just gotten a little more colourful and your heart has been touched in such a profound way, almost experiencing nirvana for one brief second. i've always been very careful and realistic, so am pleased that she isn't a minor as i don't roll that way! yes, we are both grown up (i think she may be a wee bit more than me, even though i am 34!) yes, the whole work thing is a concern, i have heard some people deal with it as easy as pie, but as i'm constantly with her all day it would be weird. but, we shall see. if things progress, then i think we'll have to be professional about it, in some manner. thank you for your thoughts on my situation, it is really appreciated

ayla - lovely to "meet you" too here! i do think she may like older guys (yikes, i'm ld?!), as i do notice that she always asks for my opinion but i think it's also because we work as such a good team and i'm always there for her. in a way it has helped me become more decisive as i am quite good at waffling and gobbledegooking. almost a 12 year difference. yes, she makes me feel very happy, very proud to be in here domain. i can't describe it but i feel just so honoured as a human being to know her. one of my good friends, he too said the same thing as you did, that life is too short and if this woman makes me feel so happy, she should know perhaps. and it is probably worst not knowing if they feel the same way. thank you for that

and dear vautrin, how are you?! i am pleased that you replied here for me
    i guess i just don't want any problems and that's why i am a wee bit odd about the age. i know there are similar people in the same shoes as me, even some who have age gaps of greater than 12. yes, i see what you mean, she woudl still have to go through so much of life to have the same experiences as me. i'll keep positive, i'm good at that

cool, well, thank you all for your replies and nuggets of advice. it really helps me out. bless you all.

bg.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegorilla View Post

ayla - lovely to "meet you" too here! i do think she may like older guys (yikes, i'm ld?!), as i do notice that she always asks for my opinion but i think it's also because we work as such a good team and i'm always there for her. in a way it has helped me become more decisive as i am quite good at waffling and gobbledegooking. almost a 12 year difference. yes, she makes me feel very happy, very proud to be in here domain. i can't describe it but i feel just so honoured as a human being to know her. one of my good friends, he too said the same thing as you did, that life is too short and if this woman makes me feel so happy, she should know perhaps. and it is probably worst not knowing if they feel the same way. thank you for that

bg.

Lovely to meet you as well!

Please, let us know how it goes!

Ditto & your very welcome bluegorilla! That's what we are all here for!

Thanks Ayla and BridgieBridge

I forgot to ask, she wears a ring on her middle finger on her left hand...what does that mean? I don't think she's engaged and she hasn't mentioned anything like that. :S

The second finger, usually the taller of all the fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by bluegorilla View Post
    Thanks Ayla and BridgieBridge

I forgot to ask, she wears a ring on her middle finger on her left hand...what does that mean? I don't think she's engaged and she hasn't mentioned anything like that. :S

Unless it has special meaning to her, it doesn't signify anything special. I wear a ring on my left middle finger all the time. I just like the way it looks.

I agree with what Ayla just said!

If you work together dating might not be the best choice.

Thanks Bridgiebridge and Ayla

Darkangelism - you raise a good point. We work really well in the classroom, we both give each other space. it is something to consider, this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
    If you work together dating might not be the best choice.
    Only if it doesn't work out!

"Feeling Optimistic!"
    Friday and the whole was great. On Friday I had to run an errand and arrived late at assembley. I noticed that she was already there and standing next to the class as they sat. I was standing on the other side, watching and making sure the children were listening and behaving. She could have just styaed where she was but she came over and stood right next to me. We began to chat and giggle and discuss things. It felt wonderful. Then after school she asked me to stay a wee bit and help her sort out some worksheets, which again she could have easily done herself. I got the feeling that she wanted to be in my company. At the end, as we have broken up for a week (half term), she thanked me as we met outside the reception office. she thanks me for working with her for the past 6 weeks and i felt, i felt that she wanted to hug me. her eyes were wide and open and she had an amazing smile sitting on her face. we didn't hug as there were other teachers there and the head. i then made her laugh and said our goodbyes. i hope that texts me as i gave her my number, just in case she ever needed it when we started 6 weeks ago. i miss her and could write and write about her. i plan to ask her if shed like to hang out, or go for a drink during xmas holidays. right now i keep seeing her smile. :S

Sometime's it's just awkward in finding the right moment or courage to go another step! If it's meant to be then when in time it will be! It's also wonderful to enjoy the times of getting to know one another! However just from a chic perspective, myself per say, i don't really make first moves! So if you were waiting for me to text, plan on waiting! So yeah you might want to ask her if she would like to do that during the holiday. Thnaks for sharing your story with us! I wishing for the best for ya!

hey bridgiebridge, yes, you speak wisely about ow enjoyable it is to getting to know someone, this has been most enjoyable for me. i may have misconstrued myself, i don't have her number_if i did, i would have already texted her! she has my number as i gave her my card when we began working together, just in case she needed me to get or prepare resources asap or anything else. she didn't text me yesterday, i thought as much but i'm ok. ill see her on monday when schools reopen here in the uk. it will be good to see her again. i'll keep you posted for sure. thank you all very much

hi there guys

i felt that i needed to express myself and it felt a good idea to do that here. i've been speaking to some friends too. these past few days, since my last posting have been great. i've worked well with her and made her laugh quite a lot to the point where shes at tears almost. ive had some more occurances of her speaking in a "cute" voice, something that i've read and heard is a sign that she is attracted and wants to feel wanted. yesterday was great because i made her laugh more and man, when we spoke to one another, it was done by looking straight into eachother's eyes. i asked her yesterday if she needed me to do anything for monday, prepare, create any resources, posters, displays etc. and asked her if she still had my email/number. she said yes and looked very grateful. she was a wee bit tired yesterday as she was up at midnight due to her housemates above her having arguments. i saw her again as i was going home, and said bye bye to her and she replied with a "cute" voice as it was raining.

i know i must be positive and at the same time realistic. my friends have told me this too, not to become too emotionally attached, which is dangerous i agree. i figured out that i have become so as the last time i felt this good way, or had similar interaction (this being more better, more weird, but good, way, can't describe it!) it was in 2010. i've been thinking and trying not to become so overwhelmed and attached, but it is at the best of times hard. thought pass through my head and today one was a dark cloud that i saw her with someone else. this hit home to me and i felt a loss in my chest, a deep sensation. it hurt me but i know it is the same feeling of a rejection. i am trying to now just be happy to know her, see her and spend such wonderful time on this earth with her. i feel really grateful. i want this to be my soulmate, it feels so right but i know i could be making things worst for me. life is so short and i don't want to miss the chance to be with her, at the same time i don't want to ruin anything with her.

i never thought a person could move me so much, she has touched me in such a way that i am speechless. i feel so proud to know her and it gives me goosebumps. i want to write more and more as it seems to help me. thank you for listening, it means a lot.

Yellow, bluegorilla!

*Bridgie start's jamming to Madonna's "Express yourself" in her head!*

It's such a good thing to do! So feel free to do so, and thank you for sharing openly with us!

I think it's cute how you describe how you feel about her! It makes me smile. Ugh emotion's, what are we to do with them at times! I understand how you feel though, it's hard when them feeling's come rushing in and slam ya! It's a mini tornado of emotion's! This is what i call a crush!!!! Yes you need to try to keep your sanity, be positive and realistic, but that's not alway's the easiest thing to do sometime's, some of us are better then other's at it! Becoming to emotionally attached to quickly can be damaging for your soul. Again, though we can't help who we love, when we love them or why, so it's sometimes the chances we take, the risks, sometime's it's the lesson's of love or happily ever after! Who know's if you don't try????

From what i feel of you though, whatever the outcome may be here, i think overall in general you will alway's just be thankful you met her, and i feel you do respect thing's for what they are, you seem very much in touch/tune with yourself and your surrounding's. You are an observer like myself! So don't let fear rush in, just be greatful, and enjoy your time with her and good feeling's! If it's meant to be it will be! Relax, don't get caught up to much one direction or another, keep your ground and just embrace thing's for what they are! The most important thing really in life is to not rush, everybody is alway's rushing everything! Everybody is ready for dessert when we have'nt digested dinner! Soak it up, go with what feel's right, when it feel's right and hold on to your horses!

hello there bridgie
    It brought a smile that

it is a really uplifting sensatino posting here and getting such good feedback and advice. i've spoken to my friends and it is a really refreshing feeling reading your replies and things that i may have not heard yet.

these emotions are nutty. i remember when i first worked with her i was instantly attracted to her - her personality, and the fact that she was beautiful - naturally beautiful. the way she carried herself, her humor, her way of teaching, her being and soul is what made me interested. i didn't get too attached with her then a she was a substitute teacher but now, it has become hard not to. i am fairly well grounded and know when to stop and for the past few days have been desensitising myself a little. i know deep in my heart that she would be the exact type of woman i'd want and possibly dreamed of. i've been enjoying each day with her, the interactions, the many, many bouts of laughter i cause her. this makes my day, makes my soul whole and makes me at one knowing that i have made her day that wee bit more funner, enjoyable and made her laugh. it is a good feeling to be around her, to just be with her and be grateful as a whole as i know one day, i won;t be here on earth and my time spent with such colourfully beautful souls made my life that bit more enjoyable. i've tried to see things clearer and feel so grateful to know her. i will be honest and say that i have cried because of knowing this.

yesterday i was fortunate to have lunch with her before the other teacher came in and we chatted. i asked her if she had any plans for the weekend and she replied that it'll be her birthday on wednesday. so she'd be 23. i was happy for her and a little sad. sad because she said that she was going out to a restaurant, but she didn't specify with whom. she didn't say "friends" or such. this got me thinking and the gulp in my throat and the feeling of a weight on my chest deepen. i thought maybe she'd said this and not mentioned with whom because the "whom" maybe is a man. since then i have been mentally and emotionally working on this that she is not available. you know, it is hard to build up such a resistance when you see that person laugh, smile, experience moments in time with. her smile is the best.

today we had assembly and she was standing next to me. we were watching the children and shed turn to me and point out a child doing something silly or cute and she at one point came really close to me. i noticed some of the other teachers looking at us and their expressions read "nice couple." it was that kind of look. even the teacher i worked with last term when she comes into the room and me and my teacher are talking or i get her laughing, it's always the same look.

after lunch we were fine, working and laughing as usual.
    today i made her laugh until she was red in the face. working in a classroom can do this. at lunch time i was on duty and went back to the room where the staff ate their lunch. i went in and it was packed, no room. i sawher and we locked eyes. she had a strange expression on her face, not angry, sad or happy or anything. maybe it was pity or something. either way i went "oh!' and left the room and got on with some photocopies. this afternoon was good, and i ended up making he rlaugh once again outside whilst we were waiting for the children to be picked up. i left and wished her a relaxing weekend, and an enjoyable time at the restaurant.

i've been thinking of not taking this any further as i don't want to spoil her time at the school, have awkward moments and put a grey cloud over our working relationship. i know some of you guys say it could work, and i wish it would. i feel like a fool. on the other hand i want to find out if i have a chance with her, i don't want to leave this earth knowing that i may have missed the opportunity to be with her. i need to think this through more perhaps. i long for love and a soul mate and it feels like i may not be made for such delights.

Oh my gosh, how I've enjoyed reading this beautiful thread as well as the just wonderful replies.

i feel like a fool. on the other hand i want to find out if i have a chance with her, i don't want to leave this earth knowing that i may have missed the opportunity to be with her. i need to think this through more perhaps. i long for love and a soul mate and it feels like i may not be made for such delights.
    I do have to say though, bg, I think what you say and I quote, you may be headed to a darker place as you've been doing great with your interactions with this lady.

I am very uplifted in all the joy and especially laughter you share. To me, laughter is just about more important than anything, life is all too serious these days and it's even rare to hear much laughter when people are about, even less so in their jobs.

It seems to me she is enjoying being around you, working with you, and laughing joyously with you! That's HUGE! Working so well together is rare, and you obviously are a great help to her plus a joy to be around. I think maybe, bg, you may be overthinking this and that may take you into a dark place that you think you don't deserve this. You DO, everyone does really! I think troubles start when we move too fast or overthink and try to imagine what the other person is thinking instead of just enjoying the work/time together like you have been. Even if she is going to dinner with a man, we don't know that, but if she is, that may just be a dinner and that's all.

Another thought, do you know anything about her life, family, exes, bf's, etc.? Does she share any of that with you? If not and you would like to find out more about her likes/dislikes and her life, maybe just throw a snippet or two about your own life and see if she shares something about hers. If she's been hurt by someone in the past, she will be very careful, won't want to be rushed, and wants the real thing like you do. My advice is just to enjoy working with her, doing what you've been doing, but try not to overthink it, that's what takes a person down and what could develop into something wonderful eventually, could just fizzle out if something nice is rushed.

Even though she's 23 just about, bg, you aren't ancient by any means at all! Please give yourself a break, you really are a super guy and your sense of humour, kindness, generosity, great heart have my vote!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Oh my golly goodness, this is a wonderful thread, i can feel the love!

The good thing about sharing your thought's that you mull over in your head is that by sharing them another may see something you do not! It is very wise to be thoughtful, but i will say as i say to myself sometimes to much thinking will just drive us crazy! You have a beautiful heart! I am just wondering, do you by chance keep a journal? I find them very helpful to be able to clearly look back onto your feeling's when trying to understand some things.

Ok so she is going out to dinner for her birthday... we don't have any idea with who bc she did'nt say but that does not mean for sure it is with a guy, could be family or friends or in the worst case it is a guy. If there is a guy, i would think that she would not interact with you as you say she does. Like smiling and laughing so much, leaning in towards your conversation's, speaking in that "cute" voice. I would think if her heart was taken she would not be open with you at all or have the mannerism's you describe. Now i could be all wrong, it is possible for her to be in a relationship and also be attracted to you, sometime's this does happen. But truth is we will never know if there is a guy or is'nt and we will not know how she really feel's about you, until the truth has been spoken. As Luba say's overthinking can take us crazy places!

Kahlil Gibran ~ The Prophet ~ On Talking
    For thought is a bird of space, that in a cage of words many indeed unfold its wings but cannot fly.
    (As for the filled lunchroom, she could have also thought oh darn there he is, and boo there is no where for him to sit!)

Now i did mention in the beginning of the thread, the most complicated thing i see so far is that you do work together, and again that can be tricky on so many reason's, level's. As i think it is important not to rush and thourghly enjoy getting to know someone, there does become a time when truth need be told. And by no mean's am i trying to rush you, but i think the weight of this on your shoulder's is becoming heavy and unbearable for you now from what you describe. I would hate to see you drive yourself mad on the what if's.

So the choice is your's......... you can just accept her beautiful soul and friendship for what it is or you speak your peace. Now if you choose the first you really must put all your feeling's aside and not question a thing between the two of you. If you really do feel so strongly about her, and feel this is a chance worth taking, and will regret it if you don't then you need to think about how when you will go about it. First you just have to choose and come to some understanding within yourself so that you don't torment yourself!

I really don't advise that conversation to take place at your work, so your either gonna have to ask her for her number or casually if she would like to go on an outting, but another method that could be an option for you, it's less impersonal but in writing. Maybe a little card just stating she brighten's your day and interested in getting to know her more if she wishes as well? However, whenever you should let her know you do not mean to put her in an awkward place, bc you do work together, your simply just curious, and either way no hard feeling's. You don't want to impose to much not knowing. ya know?

One thing i'm pretty absolutly postive about is that you are very much indeed made for the delight's of love and a soul mate! Some Lucky Chic just has'nt entirely captured your heart.... YET.

I don't have a lot to add as Bridgie and Luba did a wonderful job with the advice. I do, however, have a couple of questions.

Does she touch you? Like, when she is laughing does she ever reach out and touch your arm as she laughs? Does she look in your eyes when she smiles at you? Have you suggested a "just as friends" outing of any type?

Be brave, and go for what you want. Dating is hard in your 30's but not impossible. If she pulls your heart strings this hard you should do something about it. Maybe wait until her time there is about to end if you're worried about making things uncomfortable if she rejects you. If you do nothing, and her teaching assignment there ends and you never see her again will you be okay with the "what if" that will surely be running through your mind?

hi there luba

so very lovely to hear from you
    i'm glad you've enjoyed this thread, it is a very beautiful thing that is happening, even if it amounts to nothing. and the replies have been such a source of help.

yes, i too agree with this:
    "I do have to say though, bg, I think what you say and I quote, you may be headed to a darker place as you've been doing great with your interactions with this lady."
    it is a weird sensation at the best of times.

yes, we tend to laugh all the time, sometimes i even bring my race into it (i'm asian) and i'm not afraid to make fun of myself, and it is a really great thing. i always end the day with a bye bye and get a laugh out of her, if i make some joke or some quirky observation. it IS lovely!

hmm, my friend, a lady friend, she too said that i may be overthinking. it is something i try not to do, but at the best of times, it happens. i guess it's just being too excited and seeing too many things at once. you're right there, i must ease off and stop overthinking! this is true!

i know a wee bit, she does tell me things like all her family is overseas, she has a dog, a sister, her parents etc. we haven't got to the stage that she's said anything about bf's or ex's. she does know that i am single and that once, i was engaged but it didn't work out. i do some things about her and she is quite happy to mention these things. she's also a film buff which is nice!

ah, thank you so, so much for those kind words, it made be really happy i will do this, take it easy and not over-think.

it's her birthday on wednesday and i was thinking of making a card and getting all the children to sign it for her, would that be a good idea? i don't work there on wednesday's so it'd be a surprise for her. i think it would be ok...?

thank you so, so much luba, you rock

hi bridgie

yes, you are right it is full of love it is such a good feeling, when you meet someone and you know that in this huge, mighty universe, you are with this person, sharing these times and moments that will never happen again, except in our hearts. i feel so humbled and grateful.

i keep a diary and write it all down and then i do look back over and try to think things out. that is a good one. i meditate too, and this helps but sometimes the heart sings louder than the mind and it can get clouded.

yep , no idea who she went out with. i know she flat shares, so it could be with friends, but again, no idea. yes, i too feel that if she did have someone then she wouldn't behave that way with me, but then, as you say ,she could have someone and enjoys the interaction with me.
    this kahlil gibran quote is very true and it means a lot thank you
    i didn't think about the whole 'no room scenario' - that would be possibly, but yes, best not to overthink.

it would, i think make me mad if i wasn't able to tell her, but because we work together, it may be tough and the weight on my shoulders is getting very heavy! such a weird sensation this!

these are wise words, and ones that i will have to consider if i am to just let it be that we'll be good friends. i have been mentally trying to prepare myself for that. i was thinking, if i do ask her, it would be on the last day of term. and yes, it would be so that she doesn't feel awkward, i do also think that is paramount. the little card is a good idea we have a staff meal coming up but i'm not too sure if that would be the best time.

i'm so grateful for your kind words bridgie, very uplifting indeed i will keep my heart open, it would be silly of me not too. it is so good to express one's feelings this way thank you

Thread Information