Adam's First Wife: The Story of Lilith

In my studying time, I found something out I didn't know at all. It was fascinating to me, so I thought I'd share. Funny how it's in the beginning of the Bible, yet I hadn't heard of it.

In Genesis, you won’t find Adam’s first wife Lilith mentioned. The name Lilith is only mentioned once in the Torah, and once in the Holy Bible (Isaiah 34:12-14).

1. Wildcats shall meet with hyenas, goat-demons shall call to each other; there too Lilith shall repose, and find a place to rest. There shall the owl nest and lay and hatch and brood in its shadow. —NRSV Bible

Here is a translation taken for the St. Joseph, New American Bible;

Isaiah 34:11-12 But the desert owl..., the Lord will measure her with line and plummet to be an empty waste for satyrs to dwell in.

12. Her nobles shall be no more, nor shall kings be proclaimed there; all her princes are gone.

And, the verse goes onto read;

Isaiah 34:14-15 On Zion sinners are in dread, trembling grips the impious:

14. Who of us can live with the consuming fire? Who can live with the everlasting flames?

15. He who practices virtue and speaks honestly, those who spurns what is gained by oppression. Brushing his hands free of contact with a bribe, stopping his ears lest he hear of bloodshed.

It is written that Adam became lonely in the Garden of Eden, and so he asked God for a companion. God granted Adam his wish, and Liliu (Lilith, named by God) was given life. God gave Lilith free will in Eden. Her laws were the same laws that Adam lived by. Her duties were in fact equal to those duties held by Adam. More importantly, neither of them were ever entrusted by God with more or less than each other. Adam and Lilith were equal partners in a equally shared Paradise.

According to ancient Hebrew texts, things in Paradise between Adam and Lilith were not so friendly. It is written that though God considered them equal, Adam did not. He thought Lilith should be made to please him in certain ways, especially when Adam desired to have intimate relations with her. However, Lilith would not make love with Adam. It wasn't because she didn't desire Adam, because she did. However, Adam's insistence that Lilith had-to-be the submissive partner, only effectively turned Lilith off. So she refused Adam's advances.

Adam became angry with God over Lilith's feminist actions. He was also angry with God for creating a woman equal to him. By this time, Adam wanted someone created from HIS likeness. As Adam became increasingly angry with God, God decided to punish Lilith for her "disobedience." He punished her by forbidding her and any of her offspring, from eating from the Tree of Knowledge.

Therefore in time, resentment slowly grew into loathing, and loathing turned into passionate rage. Soon to follow would come the day, when Lilith began to eat from the tree again. It is said that the fruit from the tree of knowledge, was an infectious drug for her. When God discovered Lilith's secret, he was furious with her. So he gathered Adam to punish her. Nevertheless, before God and Adam had the chance to punish her, Lilith had escaped from of the Garden Eden.

Lilith was now free to roam the countryside. Even though, she was now considered a fallen angel of the night. Lilith's new world felt cold and hard to her, and so she began to miss the warm comfort of Adam's embrace. Feeling restless, and to aid in her needs- Lilith began to sleep amongst a different man every night.

Upon hearing, that God had granted Adam a new wife, Lilith grew scared of the offspring between him and Eve. Lilith began to loath children. Her fear would increase over time, and it soon turned into paranoia. Paranoid that of Adam and Eve’s offspring, would seek revenge at the bequest of their father, Lilith began to eat and curse innocent children. Because of her cannibalism, Lilith’s beauty morphed into that of winged demon.

This is ancient folklore and the Story of Lilith is written many different ways, but this is the basic core of her story. In some versions of the myth, she is considered a succubi. I encourage you to goggle it, as there are many variations of what becomes of her if you're interested.

Warning: Nudity

My particular favorite source: The Thinking Atheist
    Last edited by IvyRose; 10-22-2013 at 06:07 AM.

Re: Adam's First Wife: The Story of Lilith

Holy crap. Why haven't I heard this before?

So wait, the story in True Blood was based on this?

My mind is blown. I must process this some more before I can properly comment. THANK YOU for posting this!
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

Yes, you are correct. True Blood is based on this story.

There is also a magazine published with Jewish women in mind entitled, "Lilith." This Bible character that was omitted from the Western Christian Version of the Bible has been a role model for feminism for quite awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by IvyRose View Post
    Yes, you are correct. True Blood is based on this story.

There is also a magazine published with Jewish women in mind entitled, "Lilith." This Bible character that was omitted from the Western Christian Version of the Bible has been a role model for feminism for quite awhile now.
    I feel like my whole life has been a lie. I'm reading tons on this now and plan on educating the masses! Or, at least all my facebook friends. hahahahaha
    STOP MOUNTAIN TOP REMOVAL

Lol... That's exactly how I felt, yet also elated to discover that woman was created from God and not just man.

I felt free somehow. Sorta like swinging on the Tree of Knowledge, getting intoxicated from its fruits.

Thread Information